Habs Need a Star

Ribeiro

Habs need a superstar in order to succeed in the playoffs (I'm talking past 2nd round).

We have a great goalie, but look at our line-up.

I'm talking about a real superstar that can get things started.

Toronto has Sundin, Ottawa with Alfredson, Calgary has Iginla, Avalanche with Forsberg/Kariya/Sakic/etc. and Vancouver has Naslund.

Kovalev could get things started but I don't prognosticate that happening.

But nobody did yesterday. We need someone that can just get the whole team going by putting in a goal. I thought Kovalev would do that for the team.

Perreault had a couple of good breaks and Zednik had a few chances...but nothing.

I hope they aren't intimidating by the team and goalie now or we're in big trouble.

:(

I'd like Kovalev to be used with Koivu. The guy obviously has the talent, and he has obviously struggled, but playing him with Dowd and Perreault isn't the answer, IMO. I dunno, I wasn't a big fan of the lines yesterday, and although I like Bulis, I think he's better served on a third line. I would think a line of Bulis-Dowd-Ward/Begin would be a great third line.

One thing that seems clear to me is that the Habs need to get another RH shot for the top two lines. The only guy they have right now is Ryder.

And call me goofy, but I'd still like to see Komisarek in the lineup, at least once. He may make mistakes, but he at least has the decent foot speed to make up for some of them.

No we don't have a franchise player. But we have lot's of "second-class-stars".

We have the Hart and Vezina winner Theodore.

And as far as I know, the devils doesn't have a star player, but Brodeaur. So I don't know if I agree.

But we have the future. Succes will come as long as we don't rush things.

No we don't have a franchise player. But we have lot's of "second-class-stars".  

We have the Hart and Vezina winner Theodore.  

And as far as I know, the devils doesn't have a star player, but Brodeaur. So I don't know if I agree.  

The Devils have Scott Stevens. He's a proven "franchise player."

He's awesome. In support they have Niedermayer, Friesen, and Elias.

Aside from Zednik this year, not many Canadiens can compare.

But we have the future. Succes will come as long as we don't rush things.

Yes, but we need something now. That's why the Habs got Kovalev for the remainder of the season, right?

I'd like Kovalev to be used with Koivu. The guy obviously has the talent, and he has obviously struggled, but playing him with Dowd and Perreault isn't the answer, IMO. I dunno, I wasn't a big fan of the lines yesterday, and although I like Bulis, I think he's better served on a third line. I would think a line of Bulis-Dowd-Ward/Begin would be a great third line.  

I'd prefer the lines that we had during the win streak.

So who's our star?

Kovalev - no. The commentators mentioned many times that it's his time to step-up and shine in OT and during the 3rd. He's the team's game breaker - nothing. Instead, the rookie for the Bruins score.

Zednik - No. Nothing.

Koivu - Nothing on offense.

Ribeiro - Welcome to the playoffs.

Perreault - Why is he scratched?

Theodore is our star.

But a goalie gets his star-status once the team starts to win.

Our time will come. Soon. Meanwhile we have semi-stars like Koivu, Zednik and Kovalev. Ribeiro and Ryder will be semi-stars.

But don't forget that this season is a succes even if Boston sends us to the golf course in 4.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

So who's our star?...

How could anyone ever think Perreault is a star?

Even a "semi-star" (as someone put it) is pushing it.

Basically, he couldn't cut it as our 2nd line centre (got beat by Ribs). He did well as a left wing, although that is a problem because one of his best (and few) attributes is his faceoff ability.

I appreciate what Perreault has done for the team. However, like Gilmour, his time has come. After this season, I do not want him back - same with Juneau and Quintal. Koivu and Ribeiro are our top-2 centres. Dowd can replace Juneau, Begin can play LW, but is also a centre. And we have Higgins, Plekanec, Urquhart, Lapierre and Locke all waiting to move up to the big time (although some sooner than others).

Perrealt, Juneau, Quintal, thanks for your time, hope your last game is met with much applause but it is time. to. retire.

< / rant>

Juneau should retire. And I think he will. He doesn't have it anymore. And I think he can feel it himself.

Quintal... I dunno. Sometime it looks like he has more to give. Other nights he's just to slow.

Do I really have to say anything Perreault?

What the Habs need is a presence near the net, especially for this series. Someone like Ryan Smyth. If the Oilers still want to trade him, I could see the Habs trading Hossa and a pick for him. Idealistically, we would love to get Raffi Torres from the Oilers, but even Brad Isbister would be nice. :eyes:

Keith Primeau, given his salary, could be had from the Flyers. Maybe even Lady Nagy or Shane Doan from the rebuilding Coyotes. But all these guys are longshots, but our 1st rounder this year, Hossa, and Hainsey could get Doan, and take out Hainsey and Nagy may be able to be acquired.

This is wishful thinking of course, but Kovy is a UFA and we may not re-sign him.

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

So who's our star?...

How could anyone ever think Perreault is a star?

Even a "semi-star" (as someone put it) is pushing it.

Basically, he couldn't cut it as our 2nd line centre (got beat by Ribs). He did well as a left wing, although that is a problem because one of his best (and few) attributes is his faceoff ability.

I appreciate what Perreault has done for the team. However, like Gilmour, his time has come. After this season, I do not want him back - same with Juneau and Quintal. Koivu and Ribeiro are our top-2 centres. Dowd can replace Juneau, Begin can play LW, but is also a centre. And we have Higgins, Plekanec, Urquhart, Lapierre and Locke all waiting to move up to the big time (although some sooner than others).

Perrealt, Juneau, Quintal, thanks for your time, hope your last game is met with much applause but it is time. to. retire.

< / rant>

Perreault looks like a chicken with his head cut off on the ice. He is the slowest forward in the NHL, there is no doubt in my mind about that, and he is weak and cannot hold his own defensively because he doesn't have the ability to stop and go. Yet somehow, he does have value. He somehow has the ability to find the open man, and is very valuable in the faceoff circle (yes I am beating a dead horse). But to get a man that efficient in the circle is tough, and he is really needed for this series when we really haven't had that many opportunities right off the draw.

Perreault looks like a chicken with his head cut off on the ice. He is the slowest forward in the NHL, there is no doubt in my mind about that, and he is weak and cannot hold his own defensively because he doesn't have the ability to stop and go. Yet somehow, he does have value. He somehow has the ability to find the open man, and is very valuable in the faceoff circle (yes I am beating a dead horse). But to get a man that efficient in the circle is tough, and he is really needed for this series when we really haven't had that many opportunities right off the draw.    

You mock the whole team when you mock Perreault.

He's not a 2nd line player, he played on the 1st line during the Habs run beating out Ribeiro.

Ribeiro was usless in game 1 and just as useless on the PP. Perreault is the 2nd best player on the Powerplay.

Ribeiro is a punk that may have had a break-out season. At least Perreault has experience.

You mock the whole team when you mock Perreault.

He's not a 2nd line player, he played on the 1st line during the Habs run beating out Ribeiro.

Ribeiro was usless in game 1 and just as useless on the PP. Perreault is the 2nd best player on the Powerplay.

Ribeiro is a punk that may have had a break-out season. At least Perreault has experience.

I just said he is a poor skater and defender...if anything I was supporting Perreault. :monkey:

Saying he is a poor defender is also beating a dead horse. That's why he shouldn't be on checking line 3. :)

I don't think he is that bad of a skater. He can certainly get good breaks (he did in game 1), but there was nobody he could pass too and he got tied up.