Cancer claims the life of young Senators fan

Three-year-old Elgin Fraser ended his battle with cancer just hours after he watched his favourite team, the Ottawa Senators, win a place in the Stanley Cup finals.

Propped up on a mattress in front of the television, Elgin closed his eyes and drifted away Saturday evening as his parents Hamish and Victoria Fraser held him tight.

His aunts, uncles and grandparents were there to say goodbye and how much they would miss him.

"He was okay with it and there was no fear in him. He was so calm to go," Victoria Fraser told CTV News. "He was a gift to us. Yes, I'm sad that he's gone, but he was a gift and he wasn't ours to keep."

Elgin died of a rare form of childhood cancer that affects the nervous system called neuroblastoma. He was diagnosed with cancer at the age of nine months. His tiny body went through numerous radiation treatments, chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant, which pushed the disease into remission.

After a year, however, the cancer returned in the form of a tumour in his torso that spread to his spinal cord.

160_elgin_070521.jpg

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

:(

Sad story, but obviously a fluff piece meant to drive up support for the Sens. Really, a 3 year old fan?!? That seems like an oxymoron to me. He was probably just starting to get excited about Hockey ... but a fan of a specific team?!? More likely his parents are big Senator fans.

Sad story, but obviously a fluff piece meant to drive up support for the Sens. Really, a 3 year old fan?!? That seems like an oxymoron to me. He was probably just starting to get excited about Hockey ... but a fan of a specific team?!? More likely his parents are big Senator fans.

My thoughts exactly. Sports fans at the age of three are always going to like the same team as their parents. They're more like sheep rather than an actual fan.

Nonetheless, it still sucks to see someone go that young.

I feel the same way as you guys. I have a newphew who's three-and-a-half and he has shown no interest in sports what-so-ever so far. His biggest interest is dinosaurs and various dangerous animals like crocodiles and snakes and lions and stuff.

Nevertheless, like you guys said, sad story. :(

you guys arent fair..nobody would say that if the kids was a Habs "fan".

my thoughts to his parents who are going to go through a tough time.

it's sound cheesy and cliché but you should never live to see a your children die. unfortunately it's going like that.

peace Little dude.

My thoughts exactly. Sports fans at the age of three are always going to like the same team as their parents. They're more like sheep rather than an actual fan.

Check CTV.ca they did a tv report on him, he skated with the team, a lot. Everybody knew him.

160_elgin_fraser_070522.jpg

Elgin Fraser is seen at an Ottawa Senators practice in April 2007 with Sens centre Mike Fisher.

The Frasers were introduced to Sens defenceman Chris Phillips and were invited to a Senators practice in April, just days before the team's opening playoff round.

On Elgin's third birthday, Phillips dropped by the Frasers' home to play hockey with him.

The family was also able to attend every home playoff game through the generous donation of tickets from supporters.

Elgin saw his final game on Wednesday night.

Donning his customary Sens jersey and a sawed-off hockey stick, he watched the showdown with his family and later met with Sens centre Mike Fisher, goaltender Ray Emery and Phillips.

Phillips promised Elgin they would win their final game and make it to the playoffs for him.

His favourite player paid a visit to the Fraser home just two days before he died.

Too sick to play hockey, Elgin and Sens centre Mike Fisher spent the day watching movies and playing with toy cars.

"He's just an awesome kid and he made a difference in my life," Fisher said. "I was thinking about him obviously through this series and through the week and we're trying to obviously win it for him."

yeah just another 'fluff' story.

Edited by Pierre the Great

Check CTV.ca they did a story on him, he skated with the team, a lot. Everybody knew him.

Yeah so? It's not like he was given (or had) the opportunity to like a different team. There was no real choice involved.

Yeah so? It's not like he was given (or had) the opportunity to like a different team. There was no real choice involved.

wow, just wow.

Choice? wtf has that have to do with this? How about all those Habs fan babies? They don't have a choice. To attack the parents of a child who has died is cruel.

what is wrong with you guys.

wow, just wow.

Choice? wtf has that have to do with this? How about all those Habs fan babies? They don't have a choice. To attack the parents of a child who has died is cruel.

We're attacking the parents? :huh:

All we said is that it's silly to call someone at the age of three a "fan," regardless of what team it is.

Gang, I am really disappointed in the forum for the bad vibes over this childs death. Even if he was not a real hockey fan, he lost his life. Please show some respect for the youngster as you would wish others to have for one of your family members.

It is a moot point to try and prop up the Senators with this story, as I bet many of them are feeling really down with this news. Ottawa fans and media are usually full of -censored- so this will not help ottawa media either.

The most important part of the original post is a little kid has lost his life to cancer, and to me that is the heart of the story. Rest In Peace young one...........

To attack the parents of a child who has died is cruel.

Actually, if anyone is getting attacked it is the Spin Doctors of the Sens. This is a fluff story ... it is designed to make you feel sad about something tragic, and yet good about what the Sens are doing. It is exploitation of a sad situation.

Unless the kid was a child prodigy, then I doubt that he had the intellectual capacity to have a favorite team ... or even have a solid concept of the NHL. He like the Sens because his parents did ... or because the team took him out on the ice and paid attention to him. He probably received as much joy from it as the concept of Dinausaurs ...

Conclusion (for those with short memories): young children dying of cancer is really tragic.

Gang, I am really disappointed in the forum for the bad vibes over this childs death. Even if he was not a real hockey fan, he lost his life. Please show some respect for the youngster as you would wish others to have for one of your family members.

It is a moot point to try and prop up the Senators with this story, as I bet many of them are feeling really down with this news. Ottawa fans and media are usually full of -censored- so this will not help ottawa media either.

The most important part of the original post is a little kid has lost his life to cancer, and to me that is the heart of the story. Rest In Peace young one...........

Hmmm, let's see what I wrote in my first post:

Actually, if anyone is getting attacked it is the Spin Doctors of the Sens. This is a fluff story ... it is designed to make you feel sad about something tragic, and yet good about what the Sens are doing. It is exploitation of a sad situation.

Unless the kid was a child prodigy, then I doubt that he had the intellectual capacity to have a favorite team ... or even have a solid concept of the NHL. He like the Sens because his parents did ... or because the team took him out on the ice and paid attention to him. He probably received as much joy from it as the concept of Dinausaurs ...

Conclusion (for those with short memories): young children dying of cancer is really tragic.

Once again, I agree. No doubt it's a terrible loss, but the way the media is trying to drum up sympathy/support for the Sens is exploitation at it's best.

Hmmm, let's see what I wrote in my first post:

Once again, I agree. No doubt it's a terrible loss, but the way the media is trying to drum up sympathy/support for the Sens is exploitation at it's best.

it's done all the time. last year, they put their focus on a young raleigh girl(12 or so) who was sick. they did a few reports on her and of the fact that she was a hardcore canes fan..

they would try to find a similar story in montreal if it were the canadiens in the finals...

it nothing new but you seem to take it to heart because its the sens and you don,t like them.

it nothing new but you seem to take it to heart because its the sens and you don,t like them.

Actually, I want the Sens to win, despite this fluff piece.

Terrible for the family.

The little guy gained quite the fan base he recieved cards from all over the world for his birthday.

Very classy Sens organization and all other contributators who helped him to each home playoff game.