Leafs acquire Toskala & Bell

Mr. Nasty

I'm kinda pissed, as I like Toskala and hate the idea of a Finn playing for the Leafs. That aside however, I don't think this is a very good deal for Toronto. I believe Toskala will be turning 30 this season, so he's no spring chicken. Once again, we see the Leafs trade youth for a quick fix. I can't wait to see this attempt fail just as miserably as every other one. :P

The impression I get from this move is that Ferguson is pulling a Wadell and knows that if he misses the playoffs this season, he will be fired. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tlusty gone by the deadline.

24805BP~The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excellent.

Most Leaf fans are raging!

Trading any chance at youth again and they could have had Espo or Cherry.

Well lets look at this realistically. Leafs in the last two years gave up two #1's and a #2.

You cannot keep doing this for a quick fix. They have not learned that it is a new NHL and really have to draft well. Leafs have quite a few defencemen in their organization and some of them are not bad. In fact they have too many defenceman since the signings last year. They will probably trade one of their better prospects for an aging scoring winger.

But that will not work and they will trade their #1 and #2 next year for another goalie. It is only logical. :hockey:

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Well lets look at this realistically. Leafs in the last two years gave up two #1's and a #2.

You cannot keep doing this for a quick fix. They have not learned that it is a new NHL and really have to draft well. Leafs have quite a few defencemen in their organization and some of them are not bad. In fact they have too many defenceman since the signings last year. They will probably trade one of their better prospects for an aging scoring winger.

But that will not work and they will trade their #1 and #2 next year for another goalie. It is only logical. :hockey:

I think Pogge will be with the Leafs by then.

I think Pogge will be with the Leafs by then.

Pogge had better do it this season. His season with the Marlies was inconsistent and it has cast a dark shaddow on what was a richer prospect. He still has that level to make a major NHL impact, but this season will tell the story on him. Could it be a bad tale?

Toronto just threw the 2007 draft away. They might get 1 or 2 players out of it at best. I'm sure the players they took have some upside. But any organization that wants to gamble all picks available on late rounds only is playing with fire. Late steals are rare. It's a bad move. And, for what? Bell and Toskala? Yes, Toskala does legitmize the Leafs in goal more and Bell adds size and yes, they are both still young.

My question is, why did JFJ blow the picks for these players? This could have been addressed alot better via roster player trade. It wasn't necessary. They have also managed to handcuff their cap more. Was that their UFA move? It's silly. :blink:

Maybe JFJ will prove me wrong and move out some players and get some picks back. If he doesn't, this is a garbage trade. This might be a good trade for a struggling expansion team, not one that NEEDS QUANTITY in their youth depth. They have none of that. Some quality yes, but quantity reveals diamonds in the rough. Leafs dumb dumb dumb

:wacko:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

The pattern is clear. Look at the quantity and I'll use Montreal as an example for a comparison.

57 D John Doherty

91 L Martin Sagat

125 R Konstantin Volkov

158 C John Mitchell

220 C Jeremy Williams

237 C Shaun Landolt

90 G Justin Pogge

113 F Roman Kukumberg

157 D Dmitry Vorobiev

187 L Robbie Earl

220 D Maxim Semenov

252 C Jan Steber

285 R Pierce Norton

21 G Tuukka Rask Bruins

82 D Phil Oreskovic

153 R Alex Berry

173 W Johan Dahlberg

216 D Anton Stralman

228 C Chad Rau

13 C Jiri Tlusty

44 W Nikolai Kulemin

99 G James Reimer

111 D Korbinian Holzer

161 L Viktor Stahlberg

166 C Tyler Ruegsegger

180 C Leo Komarov

---------------------------------------

10 W Andrei Kostitsyn

40 C Cory Urquhart

61 C Maxim Lapierre

79 D Ryan O'Byrne

113 C Corey Locke

123 L Danny Stewart

177 G Christopher Heino-Lind

188 D Mark Flood

217 Oskari Korpikari

241 L Jimmy Bonneau

271 G Jaroslav Halak

18 C Kyle Chipchura

84 D Alexei Yemelin

100 R J.T. Wyman

150 C Mikhail Grabovsky

181 G Loic Lacasse

212 D Jon Gleed

246 R Greg Stewart

262 D Mark Streit

278 D Alexandre Dulac-Lemeli

5 G Carey Price

45 R Guillaume Latendresse

121 C Juraj Mikus Not signed

130 C Mathieu Aubin

190 R Matt D'Agostini

200 R Sergei Kostitsyn

229 D Philippe Paquet

20 D David Fischer

49 C Ben Maxwell

53 D Mathieu Carle

66 C Ryan White

139 D Pavel Valentenko

199 D Cameron Cepek

I could use other teams besides Montreal as an example and you'd still see it time after time. No quantity.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Pogge had better do it this season. His season with the Marlies was inconsistent and it has cast a dark shaddow on what was a richer prospect. He still has that level to make a major NHL impact, but this season will tell the story on him. Could it be a bad tale?

:wacko:

A.C. hope you don't mind me hilighting one point from your post.

What you said is correct that Poggie was more of a disappearing act than a good goaltender. JFjr is really defending this guy right now telling the flock faithful that he had a great second half of the season and the team was not good in front of him.

Personally I like Poggie and hope he has a good career, however I believe that JFjr really screwed up trading Rask for mr. Red Light 37 game winner. Rask and Poggie on the same club would have pushed each other to be better. With no quality goaltending on the Marlies playing with Poggie, he is the best by default and MAY slip in his development. Plus Leafs have no patience with young players so he will eventually be traded... :o

A.C. hope you don't mind me hilighting one point from your post.

What you said is correct that Poggie was more of a disappearing act than a good goaltender. JFjr is really defending this guy right now telling the flock faithful that he had a great second half of the season and the team was not good in front of him.

Personally I like Poggie and hope he has a good career, however I believe that JFjr really screwed up trading Rask for mr. Red Light 37 game winner. Rask and Poggie on the same club would have pushed each other to be better. With no quality goaltending on the Marlies playing with Poggie, he is the best by default and MAY slip in his development. Plus Leafs have no patience with young players so he will eventually be traded... :o

Good, Pogge, as an all-star Hitmen, is one of my favorite players. I'd hate to have to cheer for him as a Leaf.

Toskala has only played 115 NHL games as well.......and this past year was the most games he's played (38)

And Bell has underachieved to date...and I could have got more than 20+ points playing with Marleau and Thorton.......

So I think (on paper) that SJ won this trade.....

I think this is a really good point about Toskala. Montreal was in a similar situation with Huet with a goalie that proved at times he could steal games and was amazing, but this past season was the only time when he was made a #1 and tried to play the whole season in his NHL career. Now I think Huet is a fine goalie but it is hard for a goalie thats never done it before to do it....they seem to get burnt out and tend to get injured. We will see how Toskala does but don't be surprised if something similar to this happens to him this year....Esp since Toronto's defence is pretty weak and he won't be getting much help.

Oh yeah and I hope Saku or Lahti knows some of his secrets and can share them with everyone on the Habs :clap:

I hope Saku or Lahti knows some of his secrets and can share them with everyone on the Habs :clap:

I think we have scouts for that ;)

Oh yeah and I hope Saku or Lahti knows some of his secrets and can share them with everyone on the Habs :clap:

I bet they have a good idea on where his weakness is.

No doubt Toskala is now under the T-DOT media gun and it will be shamefull to see the flock turn on him if he does not work out. Sharks coaching staff were really high on his abilities so this just may work out for JFjr. Problem is if you trade away or don't draft anybody good, then who is going to score the goals for the Leafs? Tucker, Sundin???? Thats way too many question marks!

I bet they have a good idea on where his weakness is.

No doubt Toskala is now under the T-DOT media gun and it will be shamefull to see the flock turn on him if he does not work out. Sharks coaching staff were really high on his abilities so this just may work out for JFjr. Problem is if you trade away or don't draft anybody good, then who is going to score the goals for the Leafs? Tucker, Sundin???? Thats way too many question marks!

Come on!

They re-signed Antropov! Duh!

Antropov is a good example on why JFJ decided to spend so much money into scouting. Then again, he traded his top 2 picks the day before the draft. :huh:

The usual Toronto mouthpieces (Raptors play by play mouth :puke: ) is already drooling over their new smurf! He even admitted he knows nothing about the kids. Shows you that the experts in T-Dot :puke: are really only experts in their own minds. By 20 games in the season, JFjr just might have to have multiple botles of something for an upset stomach. :puke:

Real men cheer for :hlogo:

Edited by InsaneAVSfan