Habs Face Leadership Shift

Psycing

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Komisarek and think he is great A (and potentially C) material, but it seems impolitic to give an A to any D before one is first given to Markov.

I know what you mean, but you gotta wonder if Markov really wants it. I imagine his teammates really respect him as it is, and as much as he talks on the ice, one of the two A's is going to need to talk to the media a lot (taking over Shelly/Rivet's role), and God knows if that other A is Kovy, I don't want him to be the one talking to the press...

I like Komisarek and think he is great A (and potentially C) material, but it seems impolitic to give an A to any D before one is first given to Markov.

You could be right. They do a team vote anyways.

I knew they did one for the C, but even for A's?

I thought they stopped that after the late 80s when Chelios and Carbonneau tied in the voting, leading to a bizarre co-captaincy and serious rumours of a French-English schism in the locker room. When did they go back to this - ?

I thought they stopped that after the late 80s when Chelios and Carbonneau tied in the voting, leading to a bizarre co-captaincy and serious rumours of a French-English schism in the locker room. When did they go back to this - ?

I know Koivu edged Corson by a single vote so they did it the last time a Captain was chosen.

The A's always seem to float around amongst the team. Didn't Kovalev have an A for a while already?

But I agree with the sentiment of a young player getting one of them. And Markov's been our best player since 2002-03, so I have no problem with him getting more responsibility.

Yep, Markov does all his talking on the ice which is what the habs need to do.

Who cares how many times players say "i don't know why we can't play, but it needs to change". I have said that for years. Mybe i can get A.

Markov Higgins

The A's always seem to float around amongst the team. Didn't Kovalev have an A for a while already?

But I agree with the sentiment of a young player getting one of them. And Markov's been our best player since 2002-03, so I have no problem with him getting more responsibility.

You're right, they have floated around, and sometimes changed from game to game, that's why I don't think they're voted on by the players (can you imagine how contentious it would be to vote on changing who has the A between games - "Okay everyone, let's take it away from Kovy, who's not showing up at all, and give it to Souray! Good? Good!")

I think either Markov / Komi or Markov / Higgins. Or give one to Markov all year, and rotate the other one between Komi and Higgins...

Chris, I know I brought up the talking to reporters, but you're right, I guess it's not the end of the world if Markov doesn't. If one of Komi or Higgins, or someone else who doesn't say poisonous/controversial comments to the media (I'm looking at you, Kovy) has the other A, we're all right for someone being the "Media talker".

it's true that the A's floated around last year, and frankly I didn't like that at all. While I sometimes doubt the importance of naming people leaders (rather than some people just naturally acting like leaders), I'd prefer some consistency.

it's true that the A's floated around last year, and frankly I didn't like that at all. While I sometimes doubt the importance of naming people leaders (rather than some people just naturally acting like leaders), I'd prefer some consistency.

That was mostly because of injures.

Souray and Rivet were the 2 steady A's/

Kovalev, Begin and Bonk also wore A's because of injuries and the Rivet trade.

Also Komisarek has been with team team an orginazation longer to give it to Higgins would be unfair.

how's that ?? it's not about politics, it's about leadership.

I'm not saying that komisarek doesn't deserve an A, because he does, but I think that Higgins should get it first.

the way he called out kovalev at the end of the season, I think that higgins is ready for a prime gig with this club.

as for begin, he needs to show more dsiciplin to get the A. the way he acted in the last game left a bitter taste in many mouths.

kovalev ?? he's only lucky to keep his number in the back of the jersey.

He does his talking on the ice. More Habs need to start doing that. I have No problem with him saying nothing.

Players who talk to much and don't back it up with good play gets you moved. See Rivet and Souray.

IMO

Koivu C : bottom line.

Higgins A : Great leader, 1rst line player, former USA captain and the future of this team.

Komisarek A : Great leader, speak with his game, never hesitate to drop the gloves to defend a teammate, future of this team.

Bégin A (yes 3 A) : Great leader, plays every games like his last one, i heard he speaks a lot in the locker room, media need a french guy for interviews and he did well on tv everytime and is always the one who stays in the locker room even after a 5-0 loss.

Sorry for Kovy and Markov, but for Kovy, i don't think he deserve that after what he said in Russian media. And for Markov, I don't think we absolutely need him to be A or C. Just let him play like that, low profile, efficient, a leader by his game.

For what it's worth, I updated the roster in NHL07 with all the trades and signings. I made Koivu C (obviously), and made Markov and Higgins As.

I've got my work cut out for me... The Habs are rated 81 with that roster (not including Lahti), whereas the Laffs are rated 93!

Interesting interview with Latendresse about the leadership shift following Souray and Rivet departures : http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/232766.html

Translation if you do not mind or at least a summray?

Ok, my french isn't perfect, but here's the rundown:

1 - Lats acknowledges that the departure of Souray and Rivet have left a leadership void, both on and off the ice, but that Hamrik and Smolinksi will bring something to the table.

2- Lats goes on to say that the proper treatment of young players is important, so that when they're free agents, their loyalty to their team will keep them from going elsewhere. He uses Lecavalier as an example, and then says that he's been treated so well by the Habs, that he can't see himself playing anywhere else.

3 - Lapierre comments on his position of the C depth chart, behind Koivu, Pleks, Smolinski, Chips, and Grabs. He says he still sees himself in the Habs plans, and that he can play RW if needed, as he's done it in HAM.

Translation if you do not mind or at least a summray?

Ok, my french isn't perfect, but here's the rundown:

1 - Lats acknowledges that the departure of Souray and Rivet have left a leadership void, both on and off the ice, but that Hamrik and Smolinksi will bring something to the table.

2- Lats goes on to say that the proper treatment of young players is important, so that when they're free agents, their loyalty to their team will keep them from going elsewhere. He uses Lecavalier as an example, and then says that he's been treated so well by the Habs, that he can't see himself playing anywhere else.

3 - Lapierre comments on his position of the C depth chart, behind Koivu, Pleks, Smolinski, Chips, and Grabs. He says he still sees himself in the Habs plans, and that he can play RW if needed, as he's done it in HAM.

Thanks.

Max is a lock for the Habs ALL YEAR NEXT YEAR HE HAS TO!

Thanks.

Max is a lock for the Habs ALL YEAR NEXT YEAR HE HAS TO!

If he plays the way he did last season, I can't imagine why he wouldn't be.

I love that he sees himself as lower down the depth chart than Chipper when Chipper hasn't even played a single NHL game. This guy will keep working hard and hustling no matter what...

that's not really what was said... but not far off.

"In the same interview, Maxim Lapierre said he was surprised this month when GM Bob Gainey did not name him as one of the team's centres, but remains confident he is in the organization's plans.

"If they put me on the right wing, I will play there because I was used there a bit in Hamilton," Lapierre said. "I am confident and the way I play at training camp will leave the Canadiens with no choice but to keep me."

that's not really what was said... but not far off.

"In the same interview, Maxim Lapierre said he was surprised this month when GM Bob Gainey did not name him as one of the team's centres, but remains confident he is in the organization's plans.

"If they put me on the right wing, I will play there because I was used there a bit in Hamilton," Lapierre said. "I am confident and the way I play at training camp will leave the Canadiens with no choice but to keep me."

thanks for the clarification. I didn't actually read the article but just based it on someone's summary. His versatility is great and, combined with his grit and his work ethic, is what makes him so valuable... I'm SURE he'll be on the team this year.