Brière prefered the Cup to the Canadiens

shortcat1

This may be old news but I just read this on radio-canada.ca/sports/.

Essentially, it says that Brière wanted to play with his friends Denis Gauthier, Simon Gagné & Martin Biron while having a shot a Stanley Cup instead of just coming to be a local hero-superstar (also implying having no shot at the cup).

I've got two comments for that... 1) whatever... & 2) knowing the bipolar nature of Canadiens fans, one day you're a hero, the next you're a zero... who needs that?

For those who read French here's the page:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...re-jeudi.shtml

GO :hlogo: GO!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever.....apparently when he signed with the Flyers, he forgot to ask where they finished in the standings last year. I hope this guy gets booed mercilessly when Philly plays in Montreal.

tough choice: to play with simon gagné or michael Ryder ??? mmm :blink:

you should boo Gainey for not being able to put a competitive team on the ice.

maybe if the crowd would stop acting like arseholes players would probably be more inclined to signed in montreal.

just look at the way players like brisebois, turgeon, rivet, hey even Koivu were booed at times..just sickening.

Martin Biron may be a good friend of his, but he'll never backstop a team to a Cup.

Don't underestimate Mr. Biron. He's one 'pretty good' goaltender.

Ryan Miller will never be the same with Biron gone. Not kidding.

maybe but biron might be one of the weakest number one goalie in the eastern conference.

Same old story. The Habs are building with young talent. That talent has zero rep, precisely because it's young and it hasn't done anything (yet). Meanwhile, a LAST PLACE team like Philly is viewed as a 'contender' by Briere because it has a big name on it (Gagné), even though that big name did absolutely dick all to keep his team out of the trash can last season. (And exscuse me if I don't accept that Gauthier and Biron are miles better than Markov and Huet). It's similar to Smyth's decision to go to Colorado because he wanted to 'win,' even though they hardly did better than the Habs last season. But the Avs have a *rep* as a good team, plus they have a 'big name' like Sakic. Therefore they must be better than Montreal, and must have a better future.

It's just more proof for my contention that many hockey players are no more sophisticated analysts of other teams than are fans. They just go by the rep of the franchise and maybe its star players. Brains, they ain't.

Gainey was right to point out that for more French players to be attracted to Montreal, at least one of them has to take the first step of signing with us. He might have added that for Montreal to attract stars, at least one star has to make the jump.

Since most star players appear to be too moronic to realize that there's an opportunity here to be in on the start of a resurgence of the greatest franchise in the history of the sport, the only way to put an end to this endless parade of B.S. is for Higgins, Komisarek, Latendresse, Pleks, and maybe Kostityn to start taking the bull by the horns and define this team in an image of success. Look to the young bloods, my friends.

Same old story. The Habs are building with young talent. That talent has zero rep, precisely because it's young and it hasn't done anything (yet). Meanwhile, a LAST PLACE team like Philly is viewed as a 'contender' by Briere because it has a big name on it (Gagné), even though that big name did absolutely dick all to keep his team out of the trash can last season. (And exscuse me if I don't accept that Gauthier and Biron are miles better than Markov and Huet). It's similar to Smyth's decision to go to Colorado because he wanted to 'win,' even though they hardly did better than the Habs last season. But the Avs have a *rep* as a good team, plus they have a 'big name' like Sakic. Therefore they must be better than Montreal, and must have a better future.

It's just more proof for my contention that many hockey players are no more sophisticated analysts of other teams than are fans. They just go by the rep of the franchise and maybe its star players. Brains, they ain't.

Gainey was right to point out that for more French players to be attracted to Montreal, at least one of them has to take the first step of signing with us. He might have added that for Montreal to attract stars, at least one star has to make the jump.

Since most star players appear to be too moronic to realize that there's an opportunity here to be in on the start of a resurgence of the greatest franchise in the history of the sport, the only way to put an end to this endless parade of B.S. is for Higgins, Komisarek, Latendresse, Pleks, and maybe Kostityn to start taking the bull by the horns and define this team in an image of success. Look to the young bloods, my friends.

Here, here! :clap:

And Biron won't be the same without Miller sharing his workload as well. What's the point?

'Pretty good' isn't enough to be a Champion. Just ask Ray Emery. I hardly think believing a goalie can't win a championship is underestimating their abilities. It takes a special ability to raise your game in pressure situations, one that all the recent championship starters have displayed. Or you have so much natural ability that eventually you'll put it all together (like Belfour did w/Dallas, and sort of what Turco has been doing recently). Biron falls into neither category.

And Miller did fine playing 60+ games last year and going 3 rounds in the playoffs.

Like Tony I doubt Brière is a missing piece to our puzzle.

And Biron won't be the same without Miller sharing his workload as well. What's the point?

The fact that Biron had a positive influence on Miller. Miller played better (looked sharper, more confident) when Biron was still around, IMHO that is.

From what I've seen Biron's pretty strong between the ears. Whitout a doubt a good asset come playoff time.

I think people here are underestimating Biron. Well, not that big of a deal, time will tell.

IMHO Biron was the deciding factor in Brière's decision.

:):hockey::hockey:

Biron definitely had some impact on Miller's game. If Miller failed, the team could rely on Biron. Right there, that took a huge load of Miller's shoulders.

If Miller messes up now, the Sabres have to rely on Ty Conklin. Yikes.

Biron definitely had some impact on Miller's game. If Miller failed, the team could rely on Biron. Right there, that took a huge load of Miller's shoulders.

If Miller messes up now, the Sabres have to rely on Ty Conklin. Yikes.

Jocelyn Thibault & Ty Conklin switched teams this off-season as free agents.

Everyone in Buffalo says Miller will essentially be the team's captain this year (even though he can't wear the C). He's a positive leader and motivator in their dressing room. And Thibault will be a good, strong, veteran presence much like Biron, although obviously not as capable at this point in his career as Biron was to step up and play a #1 role if the need arises.

The Flyers offered him 50 million. We offered him 40, albeit at a higher annual rate. That is the reason he went to Philly.

The idea that the last place team is a cup contender is self-delusion at best. He knows he's there for 8 years and must convince himself it was a good idea.

Love the guy, but I was very worried about bringing in such a fragile and small player as our big UFA of the decade. Hopefully we'll have better luck with our unspent dollars in the future. Maybe even the near future.

I have to think that Briere based his decision on 3 things:

1 - Money - He got more years AND a dimished tax hit in Philly

2 - Biron - Those 2 seem to be great buds, and who wouldn't want to play with his best friend?

3 - The negatives of Montreal - the media, the pressure of delivering consistently, the boo-birds, the seeming stagnation of development (by analysts, broadcasters, etc..)

You really can't blame him for choosing otherwise. It's funny how many people are upset by this, but I would have to say that the majority of people DIDN'T want him in Montreal prior to the free-agent signing period. It's classic wanting-what-you-can't-have syndrome and wishing for an easy solution. Fact is, Briere is a great player, and would be the #1 centre we need. HOWEVER, if the other aspects of our game improve, then the need for a true #1 centre becomes less signifiant. Simlarily, even if we had acquired that #1 centre, we would still need to address all of our other problems in order to improve substantially, and Briere may not have been our saviour.

I wish we were stronger up the middle, but barring any flu this year, we will make the playoffs. Briere will light it up with Gagne... but will they hit the post-season? My money (literally, my buddy is a Philly fan) is on that MTL will do better than Philly.

And obviously better than the Laffs

Brière: «La vérité, c'est que je veux gagner»

"Honnêtement, je ne m'attendais jamais à ce que mon histoire de contrat avec les Flyers provoque autant de réactions à Montréal."

"Pourtant, il y a eu d'autres joueurs qui ont décidé de ne pas signer avec le Canadien cet été, pas seulement moi. Je suis vraiment surpris par toute l'attention que cette affaire a générée."

"Les fans devraient comprendre que c'est fini et qu'il faut passer à autre chose... La vie continue. Le Canadien a une bonne équipe, les fans doivent se concentrer là-dessus."

"J'ai entendu dire qu'en refusant l'offre du Canadien, je ne voulais pas être le héros du peuple québécois. Eh bien, si j'avais choisi de venir à Montréal pour être le héros, j'aurais signé le contrat pour les mauvaises raisons. La vérité, c'est que je veux gagner. C'est tout. Tu ne peux pas signer un contrat avec le Canadien en espérant devenir le héros des Québécois."

"J'ai eu à prendre l'une des décisions les plus difficiles de toute ma vie cet été."

"Au bout du compte, j'ai opté pour les Flyers parce que je voulais être avec mes amis, et aussi parce que je voulais jouer avec Simon Gagné, l'un des meilleurs joueurs de la ligue. Je n'ai jamais rien promis au Canadien dans cette affaire."

- Daniel Brière

"Je le pensais, sauf que je ne l'ai jamais dit à Daniel. C'était sa décision. Mais je me souvenais de la façon dont certains joueurs québécois, comme

Patrice Brisebois et José Théodore, avaient été traités à Montréal... Ça me faisait un peu peur quand je pensais à tout ça."

"Là, on commence à croire que c'est une bonne chose qu'il ait choisi Philadelphie! C'est difficile d'entendre tout ce que les gens disent sur lui depuis qu'il a préféré l'offre des Flyers. Les commentaires des gens, ça me déçoit. Il y en a qui l'ont traité de traître... S'il avait signé un contrat avec le Canadien et s'il avait eu de la misère pendant quelques matchs, les gens auraient dit quoi? Dans le fond, c'est pas mal mieux qu'il soit à Philadelphie."

- Mme Brière

Well, you really can't blame either for their sentiments.

Quick translation for those not in the know:

Briere says that he signed with Philly for the chance to win and the chance to play with one of the best players in the league, Simon Gagne. He didn't want to sign with Montreal solely for the reason of becoming the team's Quebecois saviour. He's surprised it recieved so much attention because he says there are several other players besides himself who refused to sign with Montreal.

Meanwhile his wife says it was his decision but she brings up the treatment of Patrice Brisebois and Jose Theodore and questions whether if Briere had a few bad games, the same would happen to him.