Offical Traning Camp Thread

JMMR

PS: reports are saying D'Agostini and Kovalev had great chemistry together.

I never thought about it but if some youngster can light a fire under Kovalev he should make the big team over Price, Kosty, or even Koivu. I say that half kidding and half serious. It truly would be a great to find a young unexpected suitor for Kovalev.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there yesterday and watched the first gane and a pratrice

1-Latendresse said he wanted to be more of a physical player. well he put his mouth where his money was. he skated well, hit alot of people( I think d'agostini was nailed good twice in a row). he scored, he passed. he showed alot of confidence which bodes well for the coming season.

2- should andrei kostitsyn keep playing like he did yesterday, he'll finish the season on the 1st line. he showed alot of offensive skills, had an amazing wrister to be halak. didn't back off from physical play. he really looked like he took that next step.

I didn'T have the greatest seat in the house so it was hard for to wach the play and evaluate other players.

I liked what I saw for players like d'agostini, ryan white( crashed the net and was in people's face).

I enjoyed seeing kostopoulos' play. he, begin and lapierre will be an annoying fourth line to play against.

I wasnt impressed with any of the Dmen I saw yesterday. that cepek guy is a long way from the nhl.

Today, Koivu dominated each time he was on the ice (even knocked Kovalev off his feet), Lapierre was involved with every play, Bouillon was a monster - hit of the day was against D'Agostini, Halak looked best of the goalies, Subban was good as always and showed a bit more of that great slapshot he has. He also made one end-to-end rush but couldn''t score on it. Latendresse is looking really good, that snapshot is killer. Ryder was good, Kovalev was hardly trying but his line with Begin and Grabovski was really good - especially since Grabovski looked amazing, he was very quick and hard to contain. None of the new guys impressed me, I didn't notice any of them much but they most likely weren't trying very hard. All the invites were invisible too. Beauregard seemed t obe trying but only winded up making mistakes as far as I could see. I like how Plekanec looks; he didn't do much in the game but looks really comfortable out there in his #14, he kept trying to deke people out. Komisarek looks more mobile than I remember him. Price's stickhandling is really impressive and he likes to fool around wit hit - when he has time off he takes shots and goes top corner or he tries doing little stickhandling tricks - I noticed he did the same thing at the rookie camp.

I think that's about it, it was tough to really judge everyone but in general the team looks talented. I would like to see the acquisition of a second pairing defenceman and/or a forward that can fit in anywhere in our top 9. A guy like Scott Walker would have been a nice free agent signing, I think.

:hlogo:

One thing bugged me in a RDS article about Plekanek and Kovalev were a lock

as a duo, questionning who would be the other winger.

I hope they just threw that around. They never had chemistry and they never will.

Plekanek will have success if his wingers dig the puck in corners and rush the net.

One thing bugged me in a RDS article about Plekanek and Kovalev were a lock

as a duo, questionning who would be the other winger.

I hope they just threw that around. They never had chemistry and they never will.

Plekanek will have success if his wingers dig the puck in corners and rush the net.

Well actually they could work well together with lets say Latendresse or Higgins. Plekanec was just to timid at the begining of last season always forcing the puck to Kovalev he is much more confident now.

Thanks for the report BTH!

How did the kostitsyns?

I didn't get to see much of Andrei - Sergei was good but didn't stand out.

Thanks BTH.

Hey, Just curious. All the talk of Lahti before training camp had me excited. From the reports in the papers, internet and fellow HW boys attending not a word about him. Is he any good or even there?

He was there but didn't stand out at all. The only thing I can add to him is that he doesn't seem scared to take a hit.

Yup, it sounded to me like Carbo was basically saying "we won't keep him, but we're ready to trade him to a team that might play him so that we can get something else we want".

Not surprising really, Gainey had good things to say about Locke during postgame celebrations during the Calder championship at Copps Colisium. However, I got the sense that he was bolstering his value. With the emergence of our overall prospect depth, Locke must crack the lineup or do it elsewhere. Carbonneau is stating the obvious. Oh well, Locke was a "bonus" nice move pick that has failed to materialize for us. The fact that he went so late in the draft and considering the size issue, we shouldn't be surprised.

IMO, there's too many guys knocking on the Habs door for him to cut now.

Defenceman Ryan O'Byrne made his presence felt this morning with several jarring hits. But he was also rocked by Ryan Russell, who sent O'Byrne flying into his team's bench. Russell also scored a goal several minutes later.

That's funny - O'Byrne is 6'5 and something like 230 pounds, Russell is like 5'9, 160 if I remember correctly - either way, it's a very very small guy nailing a very very big guy.

First cut tonight...

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/236834.html

There should be a lot of cuts...keeping 45 players for the next 3 games.

I'd expect the invites, Degon, Urquhart, Lacasse, Bonneau and people like that to be sent home first. These are the guys with almost nonexistant NHL potential.

from both Boone and Mio's comments on Habs I/O, it's sounding like the guys with the inside track to make the team are O'byrne, Chipper, and D'agostini (don't know if that's realistic that they'll make it, but they sound like standouts game in, game out right now. or should I say "scrimmage in, scrimmage out"?)

from both Boone and Mio's comments on Habs I/O, it's sounding like the guys with the inside track to make the team are O'byrne, Chipper, and D'agostini (don't know if that's realistic that they'll make it, but they sound like standouts game in, game out right now. or should I say "scrimmage in, scrimmage out"?)

I don't think D'Agostini stands a chance. He's an offensive minded player, but has no chances to crack a spot on the first or second line. He'd have to beat either Kovalev, Higgins, Ryder, Lats, and Kosts. Not a chance.

Spots are open on the 3rd/4rd for Chips and maybe Grabs, but that is all. Murray's seat on the press gallery (is it the right term for "gallerie de presse"?) is also advailable, but...

O'Byrne and Valentenko seem to have a chance for a spot on D, but probably 7th / 8th waiting for injuries...

Spots are open on the 3rd/4rd for Chips and maybe Grabs, but that is all. Murray's seat on the press gallery (is it the right term for "gallerie de presse"?) is also advailable, but...

it's ok, but "press box" is the mot juste.

I don't think D'Agostini stands a chance. He's an offensive minded player, but has no chances to crack a spot on the first or second line. He'd have to beat either Kovalev, Higgins, Ryder, Lats, and Kosts. Not a chance.

that's true. D'Agostini won't make the team from training camp, but he seems to be standing out, which is a good thing if some of our offensive minded guys get injured /traded (in the case of Ryder). I think he's making a case for himself for next season...

Edit: how old is he? Does he go back to junior? I don't think he does, but if so, no chance for call ups for him. Can someone confirm?

Edited by ShortHanded

He played all year last year with the Dogs.

Thanks JMMR. I try to stay on top of the prospects, but there's soooo many of them I eventually get mixed up. Other than the super "highly touted ones" (Price, Chipper), it's hard to keep up sometimes...