Let 'Em Fight!

Fanpuck33

For the love of God NHL, let the players fight. I've watched three games closely this year and every single time players wanted to drop the gloves the refs skated in and broke it up. Come on, let them fight it out! This isn't figure skating! They're so stinking worried about the "bad image" that fighting gives the NHL. They think it keeps people away from the game. I have news for you: fighting brings in a lot more fans than it keeps away. The people who bash the NHL for fighting are people who wouldn't go to a hockey game regardless of fighting. If you want to help the image of the game, get stiffer suspensions for dirty hits.

Well Bettman is on the way out eventually, now with the high loonie, the disappearing american market, his ignoring canada campaign is going to end.

And its so funny, UFC, NFL, Nascar.

what do they play on? violence.

Says a lot about sadistic american culture.

We like to see people beat the crap out of each other in UFC.

Violent tackles in NFL

and then the "big one" in Nascar.

we are a sadistic violent culture and for people to go after the NHL is a freaking joke.

America worships violence. Europe is Athens, we are Sparta.

blood thirsty

Fighting in Hockey? Who cares!?! What I'm really interested in is when they are going to finally allow hockey at Boxing matches .... now that is something to get worked up about!

for one I don't mind a good hockey fight. not the ones like laraque vu boogard but those where star players let the steam come out of the bucket: lecavalier against Iginla was a classic.

If allowing fights would reduce cheap head shots, then I'm realy up for it.

Two reasons why more fighting would reduce cheap shots:

First, guys are more willing to take cheap shots when they know it is unlikely they'll have to stand up for themselves. Only the worst of hits have resulted in substantial fisticuffs in recent years. Usually there is just a bit of a scuffle and no real punches are really thrown. Hardly something to be scared of.

Second, if the refs just let guys go at it when they're pissed off at each other, tension isn't gonna build up. Fighting gets that extra aggression out of the system. When the refs break up guys who are ready to fight, that energy doesn't just go away. It continues to build up until the guy decides to try and take out the other guy since they weren't able to fight. Guys start head hunting when their rage is all pent up.

I want fighting to be banned. I want to see good dekes, solid defending and good clean hits. Lets clean up this great game of ours.

You'd probably rather see it end up looking like soccer. yuck. Biggest floppers and divers and worst cheap shot artist athletes in the world. Keep fighting, keep the cheap shots out, let the players manage it themselves. There are rules that regulate fighting, so it isn't no-holds-barred bareknuckle boxing like most of the anti-fighting people try to spin it. It's a part of the structure of the game, and there isn't but maybe an average of one fight a game. Not to mention it's actually part of the strategy of the game.

Gotta' love a good clean soccer game...

Just watch your knees...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd-3M1Cb5Zg...ted&search=

No fighting... but breaking legs is okay!

This explains it!! Soccer fights involve open handed slapping, sucker punches, and a whole bunch of people in street clothes... NO WONDER this sport disapproves of fighting.

Did I mention that soccer players look ridiculous when they fight?

Nothing like a good, clean fight in the NHL. (Turn the sound up. "Good luck, man.")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eoe2GT0yv8

D'oh!!!

I thought this thread was aboot Burke and Lowe. :lol:

Well Bettman is on the way out eventually, now with the high loonie, the disappearing american market, his ignoring canada campaign is going to end.

And its so funny, UFC, NFL, Nascar.

what do they play on? violence.

Says a lot about sadistic american culture.

We like to see people beat the crap out of each other in UFC.

Violent tackles in NFL

and then the "big one" in Nascar.

we are a sadistic violent culture and for people to go after the NHL is a freaking joke.

America worships violence. Europe is Athens, we are Sparta.

blood thirsty

American culture does tend to be semi violent, but they actually strongly oppose violence in sports. Sure, some sports have hard hits like hockey, football, but body contact is actually part of the game. Same with UFC, you cant compare UFC&Boxing with fights in hockey. The sole purpose of UFC&Boxing is to beat the holy hell out of each other. The object of hockey is to put the puck in the net more times that your opponent.

NFL has bone jaring hits, but when they fight they are suspended and highly fined. The NFL highly fines players just for doing a dance after scoring. :rolleyes:

NBA fines and suspends any players who fight. MLB fines and suspends players who charge the mound. Americans strongly believe fighting in sports is unsportsman like. They are not OK with it in any sport that isnt fighting.

Also, I dont think the high Loonie will have any impact on Bettmans stupid decisions. The 6 Canadian teams produce 60% of league revenue already and Bettman wasnt smart enough to want another Canadian team. The Loonie may be higher, but Bettmans IQ remains the same.