Kiprusoff agrees to 6 year deal with Flames

Habsfan84

Posted on TSN.ca

The Calgary Flames have locked up Miika Kiprusoff for the next six years.

The Vezina Trophy winning netminder has agreed to a long-term deal which will pay him $35-million US. The Finn's average salary will jump to $5.8-million but the deal is believed to be weighted to pay him more in the early years.

Kiprusoff was in the final year of his deal which was scheduled to pay him $3.6-million. His new deal puts him the same league as Vancouver's Roberto Luongo and New Jersey's Martin Brodeur.

"Bottom line is he's one of the best three goaltenders in the NHL," said general manager Darryl Sutter. "You want to make sure you're able to show your fans and your players that you tend to have those top players on your teams for a long time."

Over the course of the last few months, the Flames have also signed leading scorer Jarome Iginla and defenceman Robyn Regehr to five-year extensions worth $35 million and $20 million, respectively.

"We have a mission here and it's a pretty straight forward mission," said Flames president and CEO Ken King. "We want to win the Stanley Cup and we want to take an organized and thoughtful approach to that. Our objectives are very, very clear"

Kiprusoff is in his fourth season with Calgary and is the franchise leader in shutouts (21) and is approaching his 200th regular season game, which will rank him 5th highest in franchise history. He has a 5-3 record, a goals-against average of 3.13 and a save percentage of .879 this season.

"I would like to thank the Calgary Flames owners for making this long term commitment to me and my family so we can remain in this city and be part of this organization," Kiprusoff said in a statement.

"I look forward to the responsibility and challenge that comes with this contract. Calgary is a loyal hockey community that expects and deserves the very best from its home team."

Next up for Sutte is centre Daymond Langkow, currently second in Flames scoring, who is scheduled to become a free agent next summer as will winger Kristian Huselius. Star defencemen Dion Phaneuf is also scheduled to become a restricted free agent next year.

kiprusoff_66331.jpg

Calgary got a good sign there. That is alot of money though.

terrible signing!! they have a carey price like prospect in leland irving. now he's going to rot in the ahl until he's traded.

terrible signing!! they have a carey price like prospect in leland irving. now he's going to rot in the ahl until he's traded.

Yep, signing the 3rd (maybe even 2nd) best goalie is a bad move. I don't care if Patrick Roy is in the system. You go with the proven stud and move the unproven guy while he still has lots of value.

Yep, signing the 3rd (maybe even 2nd) best goalie is a bad move. I don't care if Patrick Roy is in the system. You go with the proven stud and move the unproven guy while he still has lots of value.

It's a bad move to lock him up for 6 years.

Irving's gonna be NHL ready in 2-3 years. A 4 year deal would've been sufficient. Especially at his age, he doesn't exactly live the most healthy lifestyle. Hasek he isn't.

I hear Dion is a chimney too :P

I wouldn't worry so much about Leland Irving.

The Flames got a sweet deal for Kipper money wise. The length might be questionable but if Kipper still plays some solid hockey then he could get something awesome in the market is Irving takes over his spot. This deal was purposely front loaded too in case the Flames wish to buy him out (or trade him) in the last couple of years at an affordable cost.

it's a very good deal.

Irving couldn't even take the job as goalie for Canada at the juniors on his own, so let's not saw he's ready to go just yet.

Kipper is already one of the best in the game, and they're getting him for market value, maybe less. People were thinking he was gonna rake in over 6 million.

Even if Irving cracks the lineup in 2-3 years, he'll still be a backup for at least another 2.

Also, this gives Calgary a really good asset to trade for the stud centre they desperately need

Irving wont crack as a backup in 2-3 years. The flames still have Keetley, McElinney, Lalande, Krahn.. too many goalies ahead of him in the system to leap over that quickly. I think its fair to say that all 4 of those guys have at least the potential to be a backup someday with the exception to krahn who has probably had his 4th and final knee injury.

"Also, this gives Calgary a really good asset to trade for the stud centre they desperately need"

I dont think your keeping up with the times.. is that really a problem anymore? Langkow is 5th in points and isnt even getting 100% first line icetime.

Tanguay - Langkow/Conroy - Iginla

Huselius - Langkow/Conroy - Nolan

Nystrom - Lombardi - Moss

Godard - Yelle - Smith

The flames just like everyother team can only spend so much money.. how are they going to bring in a #1 center without increasing spending or losing a big name to Free Agency, we already lost Hamerlik and Stuart dammit.

How about that Nolan...2 pts in 12 games. :P

Im actually pretty happy with Nolan. Hes been working very hard along the boards and is doing anything he can to help be a leader on this team.Also there are people who refuse to fight godard.. and Nolan is a tough guy that will be getting a large chunk of icetime so he can defend his teammates. The points will come, and if they dont hes definitely bringing positives to the team, unlike McCarty, Amonte, and Friesen last season.