Game Thread | Habs vs. Boston | 12/06/07

Spider-Man NL

Really nice to see Dandy score that goal, but my God I hope Carbo doesnt think that warrants a spot on the 1st line..

I hope it does, Dandy has the speed to keep up with Saku and Higgy, and he's strong along the boards.

Problem with the 1st line is Koivu!

coring Summary

1st Period

Montreal 3:03, Christopher Higgins 12 (power play) (Roman Hamrlik, Mark Streit)

Montreal 13:40, Kyle Chipchura 3 (Ryan O'Byrne, Christopher Higgins)

Montreal 18:18, Tomas Plekanec 9 (Andrei Kostitsyn)

2nd Period

Boston 6:10, Phil Kessel 9 (power play) (Dennis Wideman, Zdeno Chara)

Boston 8:41, P.J. Axelsson 3 (Marc Savard, Glen Murray)

3rd Period

Montreal 13:15, Mathieu Dandenault 4 (Christopher Higgins, Ryan O'Byrne)

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it does, Dandy has the speed to keep up with Saku and Higgy, and he's strong along the boards.

Problem with the 1st line is Koivu!

coring Summary

1st Period

Montreal 3:03, Christopher Higgins 12 (power play) (Roman Hamrlik, Mark Streit)

Montreal 13:40, Kyle Chipchura 3 (Ryan O'Byrne, Christopher Higgins)

Montreal 18:18, Tomas Plekanec 9 (Andrei Kostitsyn)

2nd Period

Boston 6:10, Phil Kessel 9 (power play) (Dennis Wideman, Zdeno Chara)

Boston 8:41, P.J. Axelsson 3 (Marc Savard, Glen Murray)

3rd Period

Montreal 13:15, Mathieu Dandenault 4 (Christopher Higgins, Ryan O'Byrne)

Wait a minute....

You delete my posts because I mentioned Sopcast and then you have the nerve to write something that stupid?

Unreal

Well, they came out better in the 3rd for sure, so that is a good sign.

Nice secondary scoring helps too (chips, dandy).

Sure hope we didn't just lose Begin for an extended period, but doesn't look good.

3 stars:

1. Higgins

2. O'Byrne

3. Savard

Big win for us. It's too bad we let them back in the game, but Carbo did a good job of getting them rallied up for the third. O'Byrne was great on the back end. For a first NHL game, that's as good as you're ever gonna get.

1 goal in the past 16 games for your #1 centre is a problem...

A valid point, but Saku has never been one to put up a lot of goals. Comparision-wise, I think he's very similar to Savard, who has 3 goals in the last 16 games. The difference is that Savard has linemates that will bury the chances he sets up. I'm not disputing that Saku is in a slump, but the blame can't be blamed squarely on his shoulders.

3 stars:

1. Higgins

2. O'Byrne

3. Savard

Big win for us. It's too bad we let them back in the game, but Carbo did a good job of getting them rallied up for the third. O'Byrne was great on the back end. For a first NHL game, that's as good as you're ever gonna get.

1. MTL L 21 C.HIGGINS

2. BOS C 91 M.SAVARD

3. MTL D 8 M.KOMISAREK

Those were the offical ones.

To bad Obryne did not get one.

Boy am I glad I dropped Higgins in the hockey pool :wall:

So we have to you thank for his output tonight! Thanks, I've got him in 2 pools! :D

A valid point, but Saku has never been one to put up a lot of goals. Comparision-wise, I think he's very similar to Savard, who has 3 goals in the last 16 games. The difference is that Savard has linemates that will bury the chances he sets up. I'm not disputing that Saku is in a slump, but the blame can't be blamed squarely on his shoulders.

Hey Lazy I love Koivu as well but when his line is slumping he needs to score.

That said he had a good third period.

Nice 3rd period for the Habs. It's a wonder what happens when they don't sit back. They creating many chances and got the Dandy goal. Not to put down Ryder, but no way he has the speed to score that goal. Don't think Dandy is the long-term solution, but looks much better than Smokes on the Koivu right wing. 2 assists for O'byrne, nice solid effort, even though he lost his man on the B's 2nd goal. Love to see Kosty blow by the B's d-man and almost score. Laps had a couple a nice hits.

Good win for the Habs. I still have hope for them. Higgy, way to go with 3 points.

A valid point, but Saku has never been one to put up a lot of goals. Comparison-wise, I think he's very similar to Savard, who has 3 goals in the last 16 games. The difference is that Savard has line mates that will bury the chances he sets up. I'm not disputing that Saku is in a slump, but the blame can't be blamed squarely on his shoulders.

7 points in the past 16 games then... Saku rarely sets up plays where you tell yourself "how could (insert line mate's name) miss that!?". Too bad NHL.com doesn't have turnovers stats anymore, I'm sure Koivu would be up there because he loses the puck awfully often by making soft passes.

Dont agree with it: make your case.

There you go again. Since when has Koivu been a goal scorer?

Goalscorer or not, he's being outproduced by the #2 centre and outplayed by the #4 centre.

I think Dandenault's a much better fit on that line than Kostopoulos though because he's got more talent and speed so he can play with those guys (even though he's not a 1st line calibre player - that's obvious).

Hey Lazy I love Koivu as well but when his line is slumping he needs to score.

Ideally, yes. But if his linemates would score, then the line wouldn't be slumping. Why just blame Saku, which is what a lot of people are doing. I agree he is part of the problem, but certainly not the whole problem. People are setting expectations too high. Saku isn't a goal-scorer.. he is a playmaker.

Koivu was pretty good tonight. He generated some decent offense.

Dandenault, whom people like to hate on for some inexplicable reason, was stellar again tonight. He's fast, forechecks well, and has some decent finesse as we saw with his backhand goal. Overpriced, debatable, but looking at players and strictly what they bring to the table, i'm more than satisfied with Dandy. (Especially for the role we ask of him)

Edited by Cataclaw

well it didnt look good in the second period at all, but at least we woke up for the third. Sure wouldve been nice to see the boys play a full 60 tonight but ill take the 2 points and move on. Man if we hadnt played the Bruins and Canes this year id hate to see where we would be in the standings :wacko:

Sorry, but Koivu has not been setting anyone up consistantly lately. His passes are crap, he is a step behind, and he is knocked down easily.

Koivu is not playing well, period. Stop blaming the wingers. (not that they are playing great either)

Goalscorer or not, he's being outproduced by the #2 centre and outplayed by the #4 centre.

I think Dandenault's a much better fit on that line than Kostopoulos though because he's got more talent and speed so he can play with those guys (even though he's not a 1st line calibre player - that's obvious).

Both of those statements are false. He's not being outproduced by the # 2 centre, and he's definitely not being outplayed by the #4 centre. Just ridiculous. Some people just get kicks out of knocking the guy. It's really getting old.

Finally a win! A game against the Bruins is always good for the boys. They're is like an unwritten rule in hockey that say the Canadiens arent allowed to loose against the Bruins.

Sorry, but Koivu has not been setting anyone up consistantly lately. His passes are crap, he is a step behind, and he is knocked down easily.

Koivu is not playing well, period. Stop blaming the wingers. (not that they are playing great either)

If you read my post, you should know that I am not just blaming the wingers... I am blaming the entire line. That is my issue: people are only blaming Koivu when then are clearly more factors in play. You even mention that yourself.