Game Thread | Montreal vs. Dallas | 12/23/07

Spider-Man NL

Morrow was a beast in that game. He was always on the edge of penaties. If he had aCH on his jersey, they probably would have been penalties.

Saskhab. In light of all the "fire the team staff" retoric, it's actually nice to see how well Dallas does. This is an organization built by Gainey.

Edited by BCHabnut

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some points I would like to make.

#1 - Price will be fine. I balme our goaltending woes on goaltending coach Rollie Melanson. The past several season, our goaltending starts out stong & continues to spiral downwards for the entire season then. Look no further than just last season. Huet starts out as being voted to the All-Star game & Abby was voted Molson player of the month for November & where did the goaltending for the team go from there?? Melanson style IMO has the goaltenders going down way to early on plays, opening the top of the net up for the opponents.

#2 - Speaking of coaching styles, I believe Carbonneau & Muller may well be in over their heads in the NHl with very little coaching experience & Doug Jarvis proved in Hamilton he is not exactly Grade-A coaching material!!! The Habs are constantly beat by teams that pressure their puck carriers, yet the Habs style is to set to a 1-2-2 forecheck in the offensive while playing a box or diamond setup 5-5 in the defensive zone. That box setup gives te opponent too much time to setup in the Habs end IMO & this can be backed up by the shots on net numbers. Rarely does this team out shoot the opponent.

#3 - Ribeiro. I foolwed Mikie Rib throughout his junior career. He had/has talent ozzing out his ya-ya, but he bought into the idea he was a superstar who survive on just skill, without putting any effort into his game what so-ever. He was moved from the Habs because of work ethic & attitude. He played 99.9% of his hockey career, junior & pro in the provine of Quebec until the Habs traded him. Again his talent was never a question, but I really believe it was a real wakeup call for him to be traded from Montreal. In Montreal he seemed to think he was above the pecking order of the team, but it seems captain & linemate Brendon Morrow has helped Mikei Ribs mature alot!!

#4 - Habsfan mentioned about Gui. I don't believe that will be the case with him. He doesn't have the work ethic or attitude problem Mikie Ribs had. My biggest concern for Gui was that he was brought along too fast & truly believed some huge minutes in Hamilton this season for part or all of the season would have advanced his progress more so than playing in Montreal this season.

#5 - The young core group of this team IMO is as good as any in this league!!! Now it is looking to me like maybe Koivu & Kovalev are not the type of veterens this team needs to lead this young core!!!

Some points I would like to make.

#5 - The young core group of this team IMO is as good as any in this league!!! Now it is looking to me like maybe Koivu & Kovalev are not the type of veterens this team needs to lead this young core!!!

You're on to something there. Sanity from Lunenburg.

Just in case some of you hadn't noticed, but Ribeiro got another 3 points last night against the wild. He now has 42 points and is on pace for a 92 point season....

Just in case some of you hadn't noticed, but Ribeiro got another 3 points last night against the wild. He now has 42 points and is on pace for a 92 point season....

Don't worry, we noticed, but this kind of player would be so much no help for the Habs according to this board... :wall:

Don't worry, we noticed, but this kind of player would be so much no help for the Habs according to this board... :wall:

He was never going to grow up in Montreal. His ego was overinflated by elements of the French media (and some fans) who felt he was the Franchise and therefore he never put in the required effort to become a true star. Add into that the fact that he was a round peg being jammed into a square hole (an offensive dynamo who was told to think defense first then dump and chase the puck) and he had no chance to succeed.

Perhaps re-acquiring him now would work out, but he was just another in a long, long list of players who was only ever going to be average in Montreal before breaking out in a better system elsewhere.

This has happened with the Habs since I can remember. Don't get excited. Ribs wasn't going to light it up with our system, or on this team. He was a cancer. Being traded is what woke him up. It happens.