Les Glorieux?

jcc

I think that after last night, we can say that "Les Glorieux" are back! No?

Check out this quotation from Scott Gomez:

"Montreal is a world-class team," Scott Gomez said. "Give them all the credit. Blowing a 5-0 lead ... that doesn't happen often. But you just saw it. We sat back, they got the momentum and it kept going.

"The older guys can't let that happen. They smelled it and went for it."

Montreal is back as an elite NHL team. :clap: Having said that, 'les Glorieux' brings to mind dynasties, and this team is a long way from the great teams of the 70s, 60s or 50s. Then again, teams of that calibre will likely never be seen again.

But we can say without hesitation that this is the best Habs team since 1993...quite possibly in the same league as the teams of the late 80s-early-90s. Another year or two is needed to truly define this New Generation of Habs.

One interesting thing is that, next season, the expectations will shift. I no longer doubt that this bunch with make the playoffs this season. But they've done it this year with no expectations; how will they respond next year, when they're suddenly labelled possible contenders and become favourites to win most games their in? There may be some hiccups as they adapt to a new team role...but I'm learning not to bet against these guys. :lol:

This is a discussion we can have at the end of the year. We haven't accomplished anything. We're one short losing streak away from battling for a playoff spot. One key injury away. Look what happened to Philadelphia. Lose a few, they pile up, now they're sitting in 8th with Buffalo breathing down their necks. I believe, but there's a lot of hockey left to be played.

This is a discussion we can have at the end of the year. We haven't accomplished anything. We're one short losing streak away from battling for a playoff spot. One key injury away. Look what happened to Philadelphia. Lose a few, they pile up, now they're sitting in 8th with Buffalo breathing down their necks. I believe, but there's a lot of hockey left to be played.

I think I will wait for that losing streak before I worry about it.

Cross the bridges as they come. We just experienced the thrill of a 5 goal comeback, I will live off that until they disappoint me.

If you can't revel in the joy of last night when will you be happy? :huh:

I think I will wait for that losing streak before I worry about it.

Cross the bridges as they come. We just experienced the thrill of a 5 goal comeback, I will live off that until they disappoint me.

If you can't revel in the joy of last night when will you be happy? :huh:

I'm definitely happy, I just don't think that one comeback automatically signals a return to glory. After skipping the game last night to study, I don't think I'll be missing too many more this year :clap:

I'm definitely happy, I just don't think that one comeback automatically signals a return to glory. After skipping the game last night to study, I don't think I'll be missing too many more this year :clap:

They are far from a return to glory. I will claim that when I am in my truck with my son and dad on the way to the Stanley Cup parade.

But I can forgive people for still being high off the euphoria of last night.

Glory only comes with the playoffs.

I know this team has been short on playoffs success in the past years so fighting for the #1 spot in the East is exhilarating... but those of us who are old enough to remember Carbo as a young player rather than a coach also remember that this team was once always a regular season top dog. Back then the real season only started in April.

Until it comes again, enjoy the resurgence. It's one of the best part of being a fan, when you see your team finally realizing the promises of all the rebuilding years. But wait until this team has showed its mettle in high-pressure playoffs games before using Les Glorieux again... ;)

I know this team has been short on playoffs success in the past years so fighting for the #1 spot in the East is exhilarating... but those of us who are old enough to remember Carbo as a young player rather than a coach also remember that this team was once always a regular season top dog. Back then the real season only started in April.

Until it comes again, enjoy the resurgence. It's one of the best part of being a fan, when you see your team finally realizing the promises of all the rebuilding years. But wait until this team has showed its mettle in high-pressure playoffs games before using Les Glorieux again... ;)

I agree nothing matters but the cup.

So to answer the question NO not yet.

This thread is bad Karma.

I remember Carbo back in the day. I still remember when he put the nail in the coffin of the Nords in the Game 7 brawl game in his second season.

I love watching it on ESPN Classic as the Forum goes bonkers. Game 7, against the Nords, down 2-0 with the anger from what Sleigher did all tied into 1 period.

I don't know if it gets any crazier than that!

Growing up in the late 70s early 80s was a great time to be a Habs fan that is for sure.

I agree nothing matters but the cup.

So to answer the question NO not yet.

This thread is bad Karma.

Time for a reverse jinx Kozed :)

Maet nesohc eht era ew wonk ew esuaceb sdog yekcoh ythgim eht fo lliw eht ot rednerrus ew. Stsohg murof eht ni eveileb ew. Puc yelnats eht niw yeht nehw kcab eb lliw xueirolg sel. Maet nesohc eht era ew wonk ew esuaceb sdog yekcoh ythgim eht fo lliw eht ot rednerrus ew. Stsohg murof eht ni eveileb ew. Puc yelnats eht niw yeht nehw kcab eb lliw xueirolg sel. Maet nesohc eht era ew wonk ew esuaceb sdog yekcoh ythgim eht fo lliw eht ot rednerrus ew. Stsohg murof eht ni eveileb ew. Puc yelnats eht niw yeht nehw kcab eb lliw xueirolg sel.

I remember Carbo back in the day. I still remember when he put the nail in the coffin of the Nords in the Game 7 brawl game in his second season.

I love watching it on ESPN Classic as the Forum goes bonkers. Game 7, against the Nords, down 2-0 with the anger from what Sleigher did all tied into 1 period.

I don't know if it gets any crazier than that!

Growing up in the late 70s early 80s was a great time to be a Habs fan that is for sure.

I am a Canadian's fan since the early 60s. It was certainly a great time to root for that team, but I don't remember a game like yesterday's.

I have a feeling that the team will get stronger from this experience. And the Bell centre will be more intimidating. The crowd has learned, for the first time since the departure from the Forum, that it can make a big difference.

Go Habs Go!

Maet nesohc eht era ew wonk ew esuaceb sdog yekcoh ythgim eht fo lliw eht ot rednerrus ew. Stsohg murof eht ni eveileb ew. Puc yelnats eht niw yeht nehw kcab eb lliw xueirolg sel.

Maet nesohc eht era ew wonk ew esuaceb sdog yekcoh ythgim eht fo lliw eht ot rednerrus ew. Stsohg murof eht ni eveileb ew. Puc yelnats eht niw yeht nehw kcab eb lliw xueirolg sel. Maet nesohc eht era ew wonk ew esuaceb sdog yekcoh ythgim eht fo lliw eht ot rednerrus ew. Stsohg murof eht ni eveileb ew. Puc yelnats eht niw yeht nehw kcab eb lliw xueirolg sel.

LOL

We surrender to the hockey gods. Awesome

those of us who are old enough to remember Carbo as a young player rather than a coach also remember that this team was once always a regular season top dog. Back then the real season only started in April.

Let's not forget that in the 80's there were only 21 teams in the NHL and 16 of them made the playoffs! That 1983-84 team wasn't very good (75 points in 80GP) but they were better than the Whalers inthe Adams division and that allowed them to get into the playoffs. Somehow they made it to the conference finals that year.

Must have been! I was born in 76' so I don't remember the Dynasty of the late 70's...my earliest memories start in the early 80's. :( Especially those new-Year's eve games against the the hated Nordiques. Believe it or not, But I actually hated teh Nordiques more than I hate the leaves today!

Edited by Habsfan

Yeah I was born in 87 so I don't remember anything of 93, except that my dad was really happy about a hockey game. I was formed in the Dark Years, you might say, where winning the first round of the playoffs is the best thing I've experienced!

Yeah I was born in 87 so I don't remember anything of 93, except that my dad was really happy about a hockey game. I was formed in the Dark Years, you might say, where winning the first round of the playoffs is the best thing I've experienced!

You and me both mahn.

I was born in 85 and remember 93 like it was yesterday.

I was born in 85 and remember 93 like it was yesterday.

Yesterday? I think you're still feeling the excitement from the comeback win last night against the Rag$. :D

I guess being 2 years older than us actually made a difference in terms of long term memory.

Yesterday? I think you're still feeling the excitement from the comeback win last night against the Rag$. :D

I guess being 2 years older than us actually made a difference in terms of long term memory.

You would be surprised the clarity between 6 years old and 8 years old.

I was 6 in 79 and have vague memories of the 79 Cup run, but I remember the Al McAdam goal on Denis Herron with a minute to go in 1980

and I really remember Andy Moog standing on his head while the Oilers spanked the Habs in 3 straight in 1981.

I really remember Andy Moog standing on his head while the Oilers spanked the Habs in 3 straight in 1981.

I have no memory of that series, but I remember arguing with one of my colleagues at work about this. I couldnT' understand how the habs got taken out by the oilers in the first round? I didn'T know the Oilser were in the same division as the Hasb at that time.

Plus i remember him telling me that all the papers in montreal were saying that Lafleur would put the young phenom(Gretzky) in his place!!!

You would be surprised the clarity between 6 years old and 8 years old.

I was 6 in 79 and have vague memories of the 79 Cup run, but I remember the Al McAdam goal on Denis Herron with a minute to go in 1980

and I really remember Andy Moog standing on his head while the Oilers spanked the Habs in 3 straight in 1981.

I was 2 in 79, so I don't remember any of that.

My first hazy hockey memory is in 83, with the Isles vs the Oilers in the SCF.

I do clearly remember the 85-86 Cup run though... I actually remember the regular season as well. Soetart getting hit in the throat by a slapshot in Buffalo. A 11-1 bitchslap from the Habs on the poor Red Wings (with Sam St-Laurent in nets), the Richer-Nilan fight in practice... and off course the incredible Stanley Cup run. The 2 Gainey goals to bury the Bruins in the 1st round, the crazy back-and-forth series vs the Whalers capped by a Lemieux goal in Ot with all the team jumping on his back in celebrations, the "ROOOO-AAH, ROOOO-AH" NY fans heckling Roy in MSG and the best goalie performance I've yet to see in my life when Roy stopped about 12 shots in 5 seconds in OT and finally Lemieux scoring the game winner. And on to the Finals with the Habs simply steamrolling over the Flames.

Man, I want to see that again...

It hurts me to know that there are fans out there that have never experienced a Montreal cup win. How was that allowed to happen? Thankfully Bob is here to save the day. My son, 4 in June, better have a cup under his belt before he is old enough to post here. Remember, Som Pollock died this season. I told you back then he would be the one to bring the ghosts to the Bell. With Pollock back in charge, how do we lose? The strength of the spirits now has leadership! Les Glorieux? One can only hope. I am believing again, that is all I know for sure.

Oh, and keep Ryder off the slump line!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I have no memory of that series, but I remember arguing with one of my colleagues at work about this. I couldnT' understand how the habs got taken out by the oilers in the first round? I didn'T know the Oilser were in the same division as the Hasb at that time.

Plus i remember him telling me that all the papers in montreal were saying that Lafleur would put the young phenom(Gretzky) in his place!!!

Actually it was 1 through 16 in 1981 so the Habs being a 3 seed faced the 14th seeded Oilers. I remember being devestated that my hero Lafleur was embarrassed like that.

Moog was outrageous and Sevigny, Laraque, Herron and Wamsley were just not good enough to stop the rising juggernaut.

I do remember being extremely satisfied seeing a picture in the paper of Andy Moog crying when the Isles bounced them in the next round

Edited by Wamsley01

I was 2 in 79, so I don't remember any of that.

My first hazy hockey memory is in 83, with the Isles vs the Oilers in the SCF.

I do clearly remember the 85-86 Cup run though... I actually remember the regular season as well. Soetart getting hit in the throat by a slapshot in Buffalo. A 11-1 bitchslap from the Habs on the poor Red Wings (with Sam St-Laurent in nets), the Richer-Nilan fight in practice... and off course the incredible Stanley Cup run. The 2 Gainey goals to bury the Bruins in the 1st round, the crazy back-and-forth series vs the Whalers capped by a Lemieux goal in Ot with all the team jumping on his back in celebrations, the "ROOOO-AAH, ROOOO-AH" NY fans heckling Roy in MSG and the best goalie performance I've yet to see in my life when Roy stopped about 12 shots in 5 seconds in OT and finally Lemieux scoring the game winner. And on to the Finals with the Habs simply steamrolling over the Flames.

Man, I want to see that again...

Sam-St. Laurent. LOL

1986 was awesome. Up to then my only clear memories were of the Penney miracle run in 1984.

I remember our old buddy Sleigher running Roy and the Big Bird just destroying him in a fight in the first round. I remember the heartbreak of Babych tying game 7 and Lemieux bulling his way to the winning goal on Liut.

The OT that announced the arrival of Roy in NY (which I still have on tape, not as amazing on VHS as it was live) followedby McPhee and Lemieux's 2 on 0 that ended it.

Skrudland in 9 seconds, the brawl after Game 4 against Calgary and the Habs almost blowing a 4-1 lead with 3 minutes to go in Game 5, Roy making an outrageous save with 10 seconds to go.

I hope these kids can take us on a great run like that in the next couple of years

The OT that announced the arrival of Roy in NY (which I still have on tape, not as amazing on VHS as it was live)

I wish they would play that game more often on ESPN Classic Canada.

I remember the fans in NY heckling Roy, and Roy playing like a stud, but it's still a bit fuzzy.

I also remember Penney in 1984, with teh miraculous run to the conference finals!

It hurts me to know that there are fans out there that have never experienced a Montreal cup win. How was that allowed to happen? Thankfully Bob is here to save the day. My son, 4 in June, better have a cup under his belt before he is old enough to post here. Remember, Som Pollock died this season. I told you back then he would be the one to bring the ghosts to the Bell. With Pollock back in charge, how do we lose? The strength of the spirits now has leadership! Les Glorieux? One can only hope. I am believing again, that is all I know for sure.

Oh, and keep Ryder off the slump line!

Sadly, my earliest hockey memories are of teams filled with Turner Stevenson, Benoit Brunet, Patrick Poulin, Trevor Linden, Sergei Zholktok, Oleg Petrov, Igor Ulanov, Patrick Traverse, Gino Odjick and Christian Laflamme.

Though in hindsight, I think it makes me a bit more grounded than some who've had their standards confused with memories of dynasties, superstars and Montreal championship teams - things that rank somewhere between hobbits and God in my list of mythical creatures.

Also, it means that when we finally do win ('09, I've been saying it for years now), it'll be special to me since ever since I've watched this team they've been a piece of garbage. My first year following the team they were 14th in the East and I've watched them get gradually better for the past few years (almost a decade). Nothing is better than following a team through the dark days and then watching them until they win a Stanley Cup.

We're on the brink now; this year we'll go deep and next year we'll win it all. There is no doubt in my mind.