Arguments about Vancouver not being a hockey city

Pierre the Great

dude, you're posting on a forum filled with hockey fans...

yeah i understand that but you all come from "hockey areas" i.e ontario/quebec/atlantic canada(except for stealth)

I mean look at the 5, its got kids playing hockey outside on a pond, can't do that where I live. Culture is different. Anyway i don't want to turn this thread into another direction it shouldn't go.

Avs made a lot of moves, they've got a lot of talent, lets see if they can come through.

yeah i understand that but you all come from "hockey areas" i.e ontario/quebec/atlantic canada(except for stealth)

You didnt even mention western canada. Do we simply not qualify as "hockey areas"? I grew up on a golf course with 5 flooded ponds during the winter all within walking distance.

You didnt even mention western canada. Do we simply not qualify as "hockey areas"? I grew up on a golf course with 5 flooded ponds during the winter all within walking distance.

YUP. And some of the GREAT players in the NHL are from Western Canada. And many play on teams in the West which is why I stay up late to watch games out west. People who are hockey ooopppsss leaf fans in my area do not even know what a western hockey team is.....

YUP. And some of the GREAT players in the NHL are from Western Canada. And many play on teams in the West which is why I stay up late to watch games out west. People who are hockey ooopppsss leaf fans in my area do not even know what a western hockey team is.....

Makes sense, there as alot of leafs blood all over the country. I just wish I could make them all move to edmonton.

I was talking about Vancouver Island and the Vancouver area in general. We've had hockey players but as a whole the oh we need hockey isn't prevalent here. Steve Nash is more popular. People don't go "so and so skated on this rink" they go "steve nash played in this gym".

Girls I know don't even own a pair of ice skates even though the ice rink is right next to the university. They don't even know how to skate. The majority of people polled where I live would go surfing, snowboarding, skiing, hiking in the forests, then stay on their computers, before wanting to go ice skating or play hockey.

I don't consider Vancouver Island and Vancouver part of "western canada". It's its own distinct society/culture. To me Western Canada stops at the Alberta/B.C. border and then it stops at Kelwona/Okanagan areas. You could make a case for a special status for B.C. at this point and it hasn't fully developed its true identity yet.

On the 5 dollar bill it says:

"The winter of my childhood were long, long, seasons. We lived in three places- the school, the church and the skating rink- but our real life was the skating rink.

I can't say that about 3 million of the 4.4 million in B.C.

What do B.C'ers I know who don't just stay on the computer all day do? They either go snowboarding in the short winter season Dec-Feb and spend the rest of the year surfing or they go fishing on the weekends, not ice fishing, just fishing. Then the older you get you tend to your garden in late jan., and watch everything bloom in early feb.

What are you doing in the Rest of Canada? On the skating rinks of course because that's all that there is to do in the long winter months. Here I go "what long winter?".

On the 5 dollar bill it says:

"The winter of my childhood were long, long, seasons. We lived in three places- the school, the church and the skating rink- but our real life was the skating rink.

I can't say that about 3 million of the 4.4 million in B.C.

Please supply the names, addresses with postal codes of the 4.4 million people included with your emperical data. I do not want theoretical opinion and don't care what your friends who don't skate say. What were your man hours to confirm your research? How many individuals were required to poll 4.4 million people? What error % do you figures show for accuracy? When your data was compiled, was there an HONESTY factor allocated for your research?

I do not believe you, I think you drink too much caffine, I think you need a straightjacket, I think your friends are imaginary, I think this is a run-on-sentence...

Please supply the names, addresses with postal codes of the 4.4 million people included with your emperical data. I do not want theoretical opinion and don't care what your friends who don't skate say. What were your man hours to confirm your research? How many individuals were required to poll 4.4 million people? What error % do you figures show for accuracy? When your data was compiled, was there an HONESTY factor allocated for your research?

I do not believe you, I think you drink too much caffine, I think you need a straightjacket, I think your friends are imaginary, I think this is a run-on-sentence...

:lol:

I had the same kind of post all typed up before I realized it was PTG and 1) He has not proven to be a credible person anway and 2) He's just not worth my time.

It's like me, I know maybe 5 hardcore Flames fans tops but I'm not delusional enough to crap out the sentence "Calgary doesn't care about hockey". As long as I'm in Canada, I know that sentence is going to be wrong.

Believe what you want to believe but the average vancouverite and islander doesn't consider hockey a part of their life nor do they even know how to skate. Vancouver and the Island don't fit the canadian "profile" in culture. It's common knowledge that whole "canuck fans aren't really fans" "vancouver is the least hockey crazy canadian city" these stereotypes didn't just come out of the blue.

Hockey is not part of the social fabric here.

Yeah, Vancouver didn't look like a good hockey city when they nearly tore the roof off the joint when the Juniors were there in 2005. Or hell, even tonight, GM Place was electric. There was a huge playoff atmosphere and the crowd was right into the game. Everytime you hear 20,000 "LOUUUUUUUU"s, you are proven wrong.

I wouldn't call a city that nearly ripped itself to pieces because it lost the Stanley Cup Finals a non-hockey town. You talk like you're some kind of longtime British Columbian and you know all about the identity there. Because why? You've lived there for half a year? You read things on the internet? What does it take before you stop being a self-absorbed know it all? And don't argue this point again, you are. I bet nearly every longtime member here would agree. You have to chime in on every subject thats brought up as if you're the only top expert on that whether it being Canadian politics or Anne Hathaway's sexual orientation or even how fans take to the DC and Marvel universe.

I have a ton of friends and 4 generations of family in BC. Everything you say about hockey there, they would consider blasphemous. You and your group of friends may not care about hockey (which brings up the question of why the hell are you so active on a site dedicated solely to hockey) but until you give some kind of proof (and using a number generator for stats doesn't count as proof) everyone will still just pass you off as having your head up your ass.

And not even 2 days after you question if we can get into the playoffs, lo and behold, we're sitting in 8th. Suck on it.

Yeah, Vancouver didn't look like a good hockey city when they nearly tore the roof off the joint when the Juniors were there in 2005. Or hell, even tonight, GM Place was electric. There was a huge playoff atmosphere and the crowd was right into the game. Everytime you hear 20,000 "LOUUUUUUUU"s, you are proven wrong.

I wouldn't call a city that nearly ripped itself to pieces because it lost the Stanley Cup Finals a non-hockey town. You talk like you're some kind of longtime British Columbian and you know all about the identity there. Because why? You've lived there for half a year? You read things on the internet? What does it take before you stop being a self-absorbed know it all? And don't argue this point again, you are. I bet nearly every longtime member here would agree. You have to chime in on every subject thats brought up as if you're the only top expert on that whether it being Canadian politics or Anne Hathaway's sexual orientation or even how fans take to the DC and Marvel universe.

I have a ton of friends and 4 generations of family in BC. Everything you say about hockey there, they would consider blasphemous. You and your group of friends may not care about hockey (which brings up the question of why the hell are you so active on a site dedicated solely to hockey) but until you give some kind of proof (and using a number generator for stats doesn't count as proof) everyone will still just pass you off as having your head up your ass.

And not even 2 days after you question if we can get into the playoffs, lo and behold, we're sitting in 8th. Suck on it.

fine whatever

if faerie was around still he/she would back me up about canucks fans or van/van isle hockey fans in general.

fine whatever

if faerie was around still he/she would back me up about canucks fans or van/van isle hockey fans in general.

Pierre, I don't know how you can post so much nonsense and back it up with NOTHING. I actually enjoy your posts, they make me laugh and they make me cry. I also think you take things a little too seriously. If I believed your opinions (And that is everything you have ever wrote here) hockey does not exist.

I can honestly say my 6 closest friends and I do not play hockey, do not skate (Even though I can and have in my youth) and are not hockey fanatics. With these numbers I have come up with the fact that 100% of Ontario does not play hockey or skate. :wacko: Ignoring the rinks around me, the fact that many servers went down or had capacity issues COAST TO COAST due to Trade Day; I can conclude Hockey is not watched according to you.

Sorry, but your sad statements so vague, and your views without any kind of fact are just funny. I do believe you may be correct that Hockey may not be as important in BC vs Alberta/Ontario/Quebec. But to say 3million people don't care without data to backup your statements show you really have no clue.

But post on, you do make me laugh.... :lol: And that is 100% accurate.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

fine whatever

doesn't faerie not being around prove your point? If faerie really cared about hockey, he'd still be posting, ergo everyone in Vancouver is uninterested in hockey.

Go back to the farkin lounge.....................this is the trade deadline thread. Not who you know, who know how to skate etc............ :wacko:

At least then I don't have to sift through posts/threads to read what real hockey fans think.................

FREE TIBET! NUKE THE WHALES!

This has got to be the most stupidest argument you've started in some time Pierre. :blink:

This has got to be the most stupidest argument you've started in some time Pierre. :blink:

Most stupidest...

iiiiiironyyyyyy.

;) I'm just kidding stealth!

But seriously, the worst argument ever undertaken on these boards was just a couple weeks ago, when somebody (I forget who) was trying to convince Jets and Me, among others, that the playoff system is somehow biased against Canadian teams succeeding... that was ridiculous.

Go get him Captain Steath!

We have him on the run...We will DeStRoY Pierre's will to post excessively... :lol::lol:

Only kidding Pierre, looking forward to more of your FACTS on the health of Hockey in BC.

Most stupidest...

iiiiiironyyyyyy.

;) I'm just kidding stealth!

But seriously, the worst argument ever undertaken on these boards was just a couple weeks ago, when somebody (I forget who) was trying to convince Jets and Me, among others, that the playoff system is somehow biased against Canadian teams succeeding... that was ridiculous.

Forgot about that one. :lol:

Go get him Captain Steath!

We have him on the run...We will DeStRoY Pierre's will to post excessively... :lol::lol:

Only kidding Pierre, looking forward to more of your FACTS on the health of Hockey in BC.

I'm certainly not. Then again, it's always great for a good laugh. ^_^

lol the why are you on a hockey board.

A: I like watching hockey and ice related sports

B: I like to skate

C: I'm a fan of local junior teams and listen to the games on the radio

Problems with this love of ice sports

A: Nobody really wants to watch hockey with me (i've gone to a local place alone to see a game)

B: Nobody goes skating

C: Nobody would even think about wanting to listen to a hockey game on the radio while I'm driving around

D: I'm always busy

I don't know how many times I've asked somebody to go skating (I stare at the freaking huge rink right outside my dorm). I'm not going to skate alone, I spend enough of my life alone here in Canada, why do something I really like doing, alone?

Hockey tickets are too expensive to see a Canuck game for the majority of people in Vancouver. Instead I've known people who go to maybe one or two Giants games a year.

I freaking watch Giants game on tv, where I come from, if you're watching "minor league" games, you're a fan.

And to be honest I'd rather watch a Giants game then a Canuck game, Giants are a much better team and great to watch.

Edited by Pierre the Great

doesn't faerie not being around prove your point? If faerie really cared about hockey, he'd still be posting, ergo everyone in Vancouver is uninterested in hockey.

:clap::lol:

Go back to the farkin lounge.....................this is the trade deadline thread. Not who you know, who know how to skate etc............ :wacko:

At least then I don't have to sift through posts/threads to read what real hockey fans think.................

FREE TIBET! NUKE THE WHALES!

I missed the first part of the post and thought you were talking about me too. :lol:

I remember that, I'd say you're right there. It was simple mathematics and it still went past whoever it was.

To be honest, I'm surprised Pierre has yet to be suspended. To bring up as many points as he does with as little facts, any other forum I go to would suspend for 2 weeks or something (It has the same kind of effect for sending a child to a Timeout for lieing, which is basically what Pierre is doing until we get some concrete proof) and then after 3 TO's you get banned or whatever. It just amazes me an admitedly non-hockey fan continues to post in NHL Talk and Habs Talk (at least as far as I know. I don't know much about the Habs so like a normal person, I don't post in there).

And just randomly here Pierre but faerie had the exact same thoughts on Vancouver as I do on Calgary. Mostly bandwagon fans but still go batshit insane for the game of hockey. We touched on that subject many times, especially during the playoffs since we talked on MSN basically every day. I'd go find a quote from my chat archives if I wasn't so damned lazy.

lol the why are you on a hockey board.

A: I like watching hockey and ice related sports

B: I like to skate

C: I'm a fan of local junior teams and listen to the games on the radio

Problems with this love of ice sports

A: Nobody really wants to watch hockey with me (i've gone to a local place alone to see a game)

B: Nobody goes skating

C: Nobody would even think about wanting to listen to a hockey game on the radio while I'm driving around

D: I'm always busy

I don't know how many times I've asked somebody to go skating (I stare at the freaking huge rink right outside my dorm). I'm not going to skate alone, I spend enough of my life alone here in Canada, why do something I really like doing, alone?

Hockey tickets are too expensive to see a Canuck game for the majority of people in Vancouver. Instead I've known people who go to maybe one or two Giants games a year.

I freaking watch Giants game on tv, where I come from, if you're watching "minor league" games, you're a fan.

And to be honest I'd rather watch a Giants game then a Canuck game, Giants are a much better team and great to watch.

Just because people do that stuff doesn't make Vancouver any less of a hockey city. This city loves it's hockey just as much as any other Canadian city.

Everything you just said pretty much made me lol. I'm not even going to answer this because some of the answers you're looking for, you just stated yourself. :huh:

Forgot to mention that maybe you're so lonely because of the way you act? Like you scare people away and such and that other people just don't want to do that stuff with you? ;)

Just because people do that stuff doesn't make Vancouver any less of a hockey city. This city loves it's hockey just as much as any other Canadian city.

Everything you just said pretty much made me lol. I'm not even going to answer this because some of the answers you're looking for, you just stated yourself. :huh:

Forgot to mention that maybe you're so lonely because of the way you act? Like you scare people away and such and that other people just don't want to do that stuff with you? ;)

lol not my fault I'm so tall. Girls don't seem to mind though.

lol not my fault I'm so tall. Girls don't seem to mind though.

how dense can you possibly be? Nobody here gives a damn how tall you are. The people arguing with you here are pissed that you constantly say things with no factual basis, refuse to argue on the merits, bring up irrelevant and meaningless points into a discussion and are a total contrarian.

Forgot to mention that maybe you're so lonely because of the way you act? Like you scare people away and such and that other people just don't want to do that stuff with you? wink.gif

you act tall? Who are you? Frankie Bouillon?

Edited by simonus

how dense can you possibly be? Nobody here gives a damn how tall you are. The people arguing with you here are pissed that you constantly say things with no factual basis, refuse to argue on the merits, bring up irrelevant and meaningless points into a discussion and are a total contrarian.

you act tall? Who are you? Frankie Bouillon?

You don't get it mahn!!!! When no one's around, the great HORSE HUMPER sneaks into fields to find his prey. :o

i'll pull a Pierre Statement here :

from what i see on tv (mainly), on the net, blogs, crowd, some friends in Ottawa, you guys on HW, here comes my top 6 canadian hockey towns :

1. MONTRÉAL !!!!! do i need to explain why ?

2. Toronto : Leaf Nation, crowd athmosphere, blogs,

3. Edmonton : TREMENDOUS crowd even when the team is bad

4. Calgary

5. Vancouver

6. Ottawa : SHHHHUUUT you might wake someone up in the crowd.... seriously, with a team like that COMON sens fans do something, applause...

*** all of this is not supported by any fact, any error %, doesn't intend to piss off anyone here and is all IMHO.

i'll pull a Pierre Statement here :

from what i see on tv (mainly), on the net, blogs, crowd, some friends in Ottawa, you guys on HW, here comes my top 6 canadian hockey towns :

1. MONTRÉAL !!!!! do i need to explain why ?

2. Toronto : Leaf Nation, crowd athmosphere, blogs,

3. Edmonton : TREMENDOUS crowd even when the team is bad

4. Calgary

5. Vancouver

6. Ottawa : SHHHHUUUT you might wake someone up in the crowd.... seriously, with a team like that COMON sens fans do something, applause...

*** all of this is not supported by any fact, any error %, doesn't intend to piss off anyone here and is all IMHO.

Meh. Now I'm definitely trading Chara to Maca.