Favourite player

Wamsley01

This is an odd thread for me, because I tend to be more of a 'sweater' man - the individual players come and go and I tend not to get too fixated on any one guy. I also idolized the Flower, but that doesn't count to me, because my childhood hockey memories are so hazy. Still certain players do stand out.

Favourite players:

Kirk Muller. I just loved his game. Crushing hits, great playmaking, he did it all. To this day I maintain that he would have been a respectable back-up choice for the Conn Smythe in 1993, and we wouldn't have won without him. My regret with him is that he got old really fast, and is now remembered mainly as a grinder instead of the 40-goal scorer he was with us.

Saku Koivu. I will always regret that this organization failed to give this great-hearted player the opportunity to win, and to be the player he could have been. (Not only did we condemn him to playing with losers, we also contributed to his injury problem by failing to surround him with players who might have drawn checkers away from him).

Patrick Roy. Obviously.

José Theodore. I loved his swagger and style, the fact that he was a bad-ass, and that he had so much talent. His implosion was painful and puzzling...I'm glad he's found his game again.

Kovalev. Big, moody, mercurial, intimidating Russian who makes amusing comments to reporters and comes off as a force of nature. There's comedic value to go with ridiculous talent. That he takes entire seasons off merely adds to the charm for me. (Not that he doesn't piss me off :lol: ).

Honourable mentions go to Carbo (one of the smartest and most irritating players I've ever seen) and Craig Ludwig, for his outrageous elbows.

What I can't understand are people naming Stephane Richer. There is a gentleman who in my opinion made a concious choice NOT to live up to his jaw-dropping talent. Muller for Richer is one of our great deals. That we traded rock-solid Odelein to get him back merely seals my disgust.

No mention of Bob Gainey?

Two things about Captain Kirk. Patrick Roy said he knew this guy was a great leader when he stepped up in Game 5 with a speech before the game against the Isles and scored essentially 30 seconds in. And once again after the Kings tied game 5 with McSorley's double post bankers who shows up to bang home a hard working dirty Stanley Cup winning goal? Kirk Muller. Then to find out years later that he had a broken collarbone since the Nordiques series, Wow. It is to bad he declined so rapidly. Even though the Turgeon deal was a good deal because of Muller's precipitous decline, I was furious when it was made.

The guys that were not my favourites but I loved. Knuckles, Claude Lemieux, McPhee (always seemed to score huge goals), Lyle Odelein (bumped into him outside the old Forum), Carbonneau, Keane, Leclair (another deal that I lost it when I heard) and my monthly here (only in Octobers) Brian Savage.

Hey, cool, I thought I was the only one who thought about Kovalev this way :clap:

My guess is that Kovalev has a certain sense of the absurdity of it all. This probably comes from being so naturally gifted that everyone else usually seems like a bit of a joke. You know, he can go and crush Tucker with his elbow like a giant swatting a fly, or he can casually walk around a defence in seeming slow-motion. But he's a giant with sometime feet of clay, which likely compounds his sense of absurdity.

And it also probably comes from being a Russian in North America and thus intrinsically a fish out of water.

I will say that if I were a rookie Kovalev would intimidate the shit out of me. I would probably try to hang out with Higgins and Komisarek at the other end of the dressing room. :lol:

Definitely one of the most interesting Habs, as a human being, or so it seems.

To add to Kovalev, he is a joy to watch even when he is dogging it. The guy may be frustrating when he gives little effort, but holy shit the guy is unbelievable with the puck.

No mention of Bob Gainey?

Two things about Captain Kirk. Patrick Roy said he knew this guy was a great leader when he stepped up in Game 5 with a speech before the game against the Isles and scored essentially 30 seconds in. And once again after the Kings tied game 5 with McSorley's double post bankers who shows up to bang home a hard working dirty Stanley Cup winning goal? Kirk Muller. Then to find out years later that he had a broken collarbone since the Nordiques series, Wow. It is to bad he declined so rapidly. Even though the Turgeon deal was a good deal because of Muller's precipitous decline, I was furious when it was made.

The guys that were not my favourites but I loved. Knuckles, Claude Lemieux, McPhee (always seemed to score huge goals), Lyle Odelein (bumped into him outside the old Forum), Carbonneau, Keane, Leclair (another deal that I lost it when I heard) and my monthly here (only in Octobers) Brian Savage.

The Gainey I watched as a *conscious* adult was a senior veteran grinder, on the way out (but still an incredible leader). However, the Gainey I have observed since his return to Montreal is high on the list of human beings I most admire, never mind hockey people.

Odelein! He was another funny player - he always seemed to be grinning like a German Shepherd out there.

And kudos for remembering Mike McPhee. He scored 20 every year and it seemed that every one of those was a game-tying or GWG. Unreal.

All time favourite Habs:Guy Lafleur

Present favourite Habs: Carey Price

All time favourite in the League: Guy Lafleur Patrick Roy

Current League favourite: Vinny...09/10...Habs cup winner woot,

Player I used to hate: Billy Smith

Player I hate today: Sean Avery

All time favourite Habs: Benoit Brunet, Yannic Perreault and Alex Kovalev

Present favourite Habs: Alex Kovalev

All time favourite in the League: Sergei Fedorov, Vladimir Kostantinov and Börje Salming

Current League favourite: Sergei Fedorov, Vincent Lecavalier and Alexander Ovechkin

Player I used to hate: Eric Lindros

Player I hate today: Sean Avery and Darcy Tucker

Benoit Brunet and Patric Kjellberg... My heroes when I started to cheer for the Habs. When I started to play hockey myself Kjellberg played with the senior team in the same club. He later played for my favourite team in Sweden and then in the NHL. Brunet mostly because I think he scored the GWG in the first NHL game I ever saw.

Always been a fan of Kovalev and his stickhandling.

Sergei Fedorov, Börje Salmin (even if he had a maple leaf on his shirt) and Vladimir Kostantinov where my idols when I grew up. Fedorov was the most complete player and I studied him and tried to learn everything I could.

Lindros for refusing Quebec. I thought it was unsportsmanlike. And still do.

Sean Avery for being a jerk and Tucker for being a pain. I watch that clip when Kovalev hits Tucker still sometimes...

The Gainey I watched as a *conscious* adult was a senior veteran grinder, on the way out (but still an incredible leader). However, the Gainey I have observed since his return to Montreal is high on the list of human beings I most admire, never mind hockey people.

Odelein! He was another funny player - he always seemed to be grinning like a German Shepherd out there.

And kudos for remembering Mike McPhee. He scored 20 every year and it seemed that every one of those was a game-tying or GWG. Unreal.

Did you ever watch Ken Dryden's Home Game series on CBC back in 89. It coincided with his second book of the same name.

They had one episode where he described the inner workings of a game through the 89 Canadiens. They showed their game preperation

How the habs and oilers both prepared for the game, they showed the Habs routined, the order which they hit the ice, how Carbo would

tap Roy's pads in a certain order and how he was the last one to touch Roy before puck drop.

Dryden dissected everything in the game, he broke down how the dynamic had changed without Gretzky, how Ranford could not make

the timely saves that Fuhr had in their Cup run etc etc.

The reason I mention it is because it had an iso on Gainey. Sadly they showed his late wife and daughter's reaction throughout the game

interspersed with Kevin Lowe's mother. The showed Gainey and his discussions with his linemates (Carbo and Keane) and you could see

the respect that Carbo had and how Keane was soaking up everuthing like a sponge.

In retrospect it was quite riveting stuff. If you love Gainey you should try to dig it up.

Mats Näslund. The one who turned me onto the Habs in the first place. Who knows, if he had played for the leafs, I mighta been a leafs fan today. (Perish the thought!)

Igor Larionov. Classy guy, great palyer who went through so much in his life. Coped with the transision of moving from Soviet Russia to North America better than some of his comrades.

Nicklas Lidström. 'Cause he's the best.

Henrik Zetterberg. Just love everything about him. The skill the work ethic, etc etc.

Patric Kjellberg... My heroes when I started to cheer for the Habs. When I started to play hockey myself Kjellberg played with the senior team in the same club. He later played for my favourite team in Sweden and then in the NHL.

Stop me if I am repeating myself... but my aunt dated his older brother a couple of years. I never actually met Patric though.

All time favourite Habs: Jean Beliveau - pure class, with unbelievable moves

Present favourite Habs: Alex Kovalev - outspoken, and occasional magic on the ice

All time favourite in the League: (non Habs) Wayne Gretzky

Current League favourite: Sundin, a gem surrounded by a sea of trash

Player I used to hate: Mike Milbury - Mr. Cheap Shot when you're not looking

Player I hate today: Sean Avery - opposite of Beliveau; Mr. No Class

Best Broadcaster - Danny Galivan, with honourable mention to Dick Irvin

- Jack