Bonk reacts to trade

Habs77

Canadian Press

6/27/2004

RALEIGH, N.C. (CP) - Being traded twice in one day - from the Ottawa Senators to the Los Angeles Kings to the Montreal Canadiens - had Radek Bonk reeling.

``After my agent called, I started calling everyone in my family to tell them I'm a King,'' Bonk said Sunday by telephone from his home in the Czech Republic. ``Fifteen minutes later, they told me I'm a Canadien and I had to call everyone all over again.

``But they're all happy for me.''

In the biggest deal at the NHL draft Saturday, Ottawa sent the six-foot-three centre to the Kings for a third-round draft pick.

Moments later, the Kings sent Bonk and goaltender Cristobal Huet to Montreal for back-up goalie Mathieu Garon and a third-round pick.

``It's a good feeling when a team wants you,'' Bonk said. ``Obviously, they want me and believe I can help.''

Bonk has been considered an underachiever for much of his 10 seasons in Ottawa since he was drafted third overall in 1994.

The Canadiens, who lost centre Joe Juneau to retirement and likely won't sign Yanic Perreault, wanted a big centre to match against other teams' top lines.

``We've got some big centres in our conference, like (Keith) Primeau and (Mats) Sundin, and it's important to have a big guy to play against them,'' coach Claude Julien said.

That suits the 28-year-old Bonk.

``That's a role I used to play more of in Ottawa,'' said Bonk. ``It's challenging and I like that.

``I played some of my best hockey in that role.''

Bonk was a consistent 20-goal scorer in Ottawa, but he slipped to 12 goals and 32 assists in 66 games last season. With a $3.5 million US salary, he was harshly criticized.

In Montreal, he will likely be put into a two-way role, with less pressure to score. He will become a restricted free agent Wednesday and the Canadiens have indicated they will make him a qualifying offer to keep his rights.

``We made a choice to transfer a player from one position to another,'' said general manager Bob Gainey, who still has room in his budget to make more moves. ``We took an above average backup goalie and turned him into a regular skating centreman.''

In Ottawa, Bonk usually had star Marian Hossa as his right winger. Montreal has Hossa younger brother Marcel in its system.

``I called Marian Hossa and told him it might be fun to play with his brother,'' said Bonk.

[Edited on 27-6-04 by Habs77]

Ai Ai!

Loved the draft, hoping that Bonk will turn heads next season.

If Bubu brings his A game, he can probably go back on one of the top 2 lines, with Hossa playing with Bonk and Ward on the 3rd line.

I'm hoping that Langdon will pull a Kilger, and resign for less on the day he becomes a UFA.

If we get Kovalev back (crosses fingers), we will be incredible. Habs in 2005, baby!

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Bulis-Ribeiro-Ryder

Hossa-Bonk-Perezhogin

Langdon-Begin-Ward

3rd line could be so beautiful. :( so beautiful

And then revamped Markov, Souray and Brisebois playing solid (nothing exceptional expected), Komisarek playing an increased role, and Bouillion and Hainsey just not screwing anything up, Theo and Hugh in nets...

I CAN'T WAIT TILL NEXT SEASON!

" The Canadiens are a very good team, having a good blend of young players and veterans as well as a very good goalie. The team did very well in the playoffs. "

I take it he's refering to the Boston series.

Bonk knows a few Habs, his compatriots Richard Zednik and Jan Bulis as well as Marcel Hossa, the young brother of Marian, of the Senators.

--> that leads me to mention a possible Bulis-Bonk-Zednik line btw

trade Hossa/Hainsey for O'Neill, sign Kovy:

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev

Ryder-Ribeiro-O'Neill

Bulis-Bonk-Zednik

Ward-Begin-Laperriere

Don't know if we can afford all that, if not use the cheaper Hossa in O'Neill's spot and hope he sticks the 2nd time around.

That way you have 3 really decent lines... just a thought.

" I am ready to do antything they ask of me, Bonk said. The Senators had entrusted me with defensive tasks. It will be a stimulating challenge for me to play against the best lines of opposing teams. "

The coach Claude Julien expressed delight with the degree of latitude which will bring him the arrival of Bonk.

" It is too early to speak about how I will use Radek, but I know that I shall be able to use him in various ways, he commented. He can center a defensive line, or play on the first two lines, on the PP.

" He's a good 2-way player, dependable in defence. He is one of the big centers we had our sights on. We're going to form a more balanced team with him ", analysed Julien, by adding that they are going to ask him to shoot more often than he did in Ottawa.

As usual CJ always comes out with the politically correct statement, but can never just say what he plans to do with the guy.

Gainey is more straightfoward... and he clearly said Bonk was to play center, so at least that is clear.

And I have no doubt Koivu & Ribeiro are in no danger of losing their spots... Bonk just completes the trios of centers.

I don't know why but I have a really good feeling about Bonk.

[Edited on 27-6-04 by Habs77]

i got chills just thinking of the next time i watch montreal. they r gonna be a new look kickass team. please sign kovy and lapperiere cause they will complete the lineup that'll bring us back to glory. Bob the builder is building a dynasty and it starts next season.

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Bulis-Ribeiro-Ryder

Hossa-Bonk-Perezhogin

Langdon-Begin-Ward

Hossa isn't responsible enough defensively to be a third liner, thry swapping him and Bulis and the lineup makes more sense, at least to me.

And why do you have Perezhogin on the depth chart? If he can't play in the AHL, surely he can't play in the NHL. That would totally disregard any authority the AHL has over its players. And anyway, he is an offensive player, not a 3rd liner.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Trade Ribeiro for a defender

And home-ice is ours

No Thanks. Lets just sign a UFA D for depth. I've said it before, trading Ribeiro totally defeats the purpose of acquiring Bonk, we got Bonk for centre depth, Koivu-Ribeiro-Bonk are our top-3 centres.

Ohhh... One other note. I just read that Pavol Demitra will not be qualfied by the Blues, if the habs lose Kovalev Demitra is someone else we should/could look at.

[Edited on 2004-6-28 by puck7x]

From this morning's gazette....

<b>Pat Hickey Wrote:</b>

While Bonk said he isn't coming off a great season, he looks at Montreal as a chance for a fresh start. The Canadiens plan to use him as a defensive centre against the other team's top line, which is fine with him.

"I think I had my best years when I was playing that role," Bonk said. "I think I can play a strong two-way game. I like the challenge of playing against the other team's top line and I can also add some offence."

Can we please end the "Ribeiro is going to be traded" and "Bonk should play LW" talk now? How many media sources do you need to tell you that the Habs will use him as the 3rd line C? Should of listened to me in the first place...

<b>Pat Hickey Wrote:</b>

Ottawa teammate Marian Hossa was among the people Bonk spoke to after the trade to Montreal and he joked about getting the opportunity to play with Marian's younger brother, Marcel. While that's a possibility, it's more likely that Bonk will find himself aligned with fellow Czech Jan Bulis, another player with strong two-way skills.

"I know Bulie and I think that will be a good match," Bonk said.

Hickey gets it (That Bonk will be behind Koivu/Ribiero) ... Unfortunately Todd does not...

<b>Jack Todd Wrote:</b>

If you watched any part of the NHL draft Saturday, you had enough numbers hurled at you to confuse a computer network. In honour of the 18th pick in this year's draft, we bring you today's column, by the numbers:

News item: Canadiens acquire Radek Bonk to be third-line centre.

Number of people who read news item: 214.

Person made most nervous because of Bonk's acquisition: Mike Ribeiro.

Likelihood that Ribeiro will be traded before the Canadiens play another game: 63 per cent.

And....

<b>Jack Todd Wrote:</b>

&&&&&& the number of hockey fans who expected the Canadiens to draft Kyle Chipchura: zero.

WRONG! The Aussie Posse got the Chipchura to habs @ #18 pick right. He was the only one in the pool to get it.

Thats all that I am going to post of the articles... Because I dont like the idea of getting sued by the gazette :) ... (They require a paid subscribtion for online access to articles)

[Edited on 2004-6-28 by puck7x]

Until CJ says that Bonk will be his 3rd line C I will continue to believe that the Habs are best suited with him on our top line LW.

Gainey is the GM and CJ is the coach...last time I checked it was CJ who made the lines...that's not to say they don't talk about these things but it's a little early to say that it's set in stone.

If Bonk is asked to match up against other teams top lines and CJ likes to play our top line vs. other top lines then ask yourself where Bonk will play... ;)

Originally posted by Zowpeb

Until CJ says that Bonk will be his 3rd line C I will continue to believe that the Habs are best suited with him on our top line LW.

Gainey is the GM and CJ is the coach...last time I checked it was CJ who made the lines...that's not to say they don't talk about these things but it's a little early to say that it's set in stone.

If Bonk is asked to match up against other teams top lines and CJ likes to play our top line vs. other top lines then ask yourself where Bonk will play... ;)

He'll play the 3rd center shutdown role, but will be expected to also provide more offense in that role than Juneau... which shouldn't be asking too much since Juneau did nothing offensively.

That extra production from the 3rd line will give us the adding scoring we need, as will having Kovy all year if he comes back.

What's wrong with having 3 good lines? I don't get this push to only have 2.

Sad part is... we'll be fighting about this until 2006 ;)

And why do you have Perezhogin on the depth chart? If he can't play in the AHL, surely he can't play in the NHL. That would totally disregard any authority the AHL has over its players. And anyway, he is an offensive player, not a 3rd liner.

I agree. Why the hell is he even in the line-up? Shouldn't he be in jail? :P

Why do people want to trade Ribeiro anyways? He was one of the best players last year for the Habs.

Trade Dagenais. I can't stand him. His great offensive skill (shot) is exaggerated due to the fact that he sucks at everything else.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

Why do people want to trade Ribeiro anyways? He was one of the best players last year for the Habs.

Because most people believe last season was his peak year and it will be back downhill next season for him.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33
Originally posted by Ribeiro

Because most people believe last season was his peak year and it will be back downhill next season for him.

In that case most people need to realize that it was only the tip of the iceberg... not only will he get better but hopefully he won't be stuck with linemates like Audette, Dagenais for much of the year.

If I'm worried about someone suffering somewhat of a letdown in production... it's Ryder.

Simply because it's easier to keep passing the puck for Ribeiro than it is to keep scoring like Ryder, but I hope both will actually improve their numbers.

A lot of that will depend on who Gainey gets to play on their wing.