NHL UFA/Trades thread - July 1st

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this just in Ecklund has discovered that Wayne Gretzky was traded from Edmonton to the Kings. He lists it as an e5 so it is about as reliable as the rest of his stuff :lol:

this just in Ecklund has discovered that Wayne Gretzky was traded from Edmonton to the Kings. He lists it as an e5 so it is about as reliable as the rest of his stuff :lol:

:P

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see Joe is back. It would had been a shame to see the league most respected player retire.

Apparently Andrej Meszaros has signed a $5M/yr offer sheet, altough the team hasnt been disclosed. It's not even certain if that offer sheet really exist or if it's just a silly rumor... I find it hard to believedsomeone would pay that much for him. He's good, yeah, but $5M good? I dont think so...

Apparently Andrej Meszaros has signed a $5M/yr offer sheet, altough the team hasnt been disclosed. It's not even certain if that offer sheet really exist or if it's just a silly rumor... I find it hard to believedsomeone would pay that much for him. He's good, yeah, but $5M good? I dont think so...

Oh man, I hope thats not true. I'd give him the 4 he wants but not 5. Murray better match anyway though.

he's been traded to tampa for kuba, picard and a 1st rounder

great trade for ottawa!! :clap:

Yup, massive overpayment by the Bolts. Murray looks like a genius on this one.

Yup, massive overpayment by the Bolts. Murray looks like a genius on this one.

I wouldn't say it's MASSIVE over payment ... Kuba isn't that great of a defenseman and Picard hasn't really proven anything yet. but you never know ... if Picard and the 1st turn into studs then I'll say it's Massive ... If Picard and the 1st turn into nuthing then TB wins this deal by far.

This was initially reported last night. It was rumoured to be Tampa that had sent an offersheet to the Sens but, because the team wasn't announced it was speculated something was up and the fact that the Bolts traded their 3rd in the upcoming draft to the Pens in order to aquire the rights to Malone seemed like a legitimate reason. Had they agreed to a 5 mill per contract, the Sens would have received the Bolts 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. Instead, due to failure of re-aquiring that 3rd, this is what they settled on. From the looks of things, it may have been better for an offersheet because they're now getting a late first in the Sharks 1st, yet Picard still possesses good value. Kuba is nothing special and from what I gather from Bolts fans, they don't care that he's gone.

Meszaros wasn't great last season but if he plays to his potential, this is a solid move by Lightning management no doubt. Certainly showing that they're serious about competing.

Edited by Captain_Stealth

Nah, I don't like it as a Sens fan. Sure some pieces are good for the future but the Sens are a win now team. Kuba is ok but I don't think he's going to have a better offensive presence on the blueline, which looks terrible now. Although these last two seasons are Kuba's best in terms of production.

Volchenkov-Kuba

Phillips-Smith

Picard-Schubert

I sure hope this is the year Brian Lee (9th overall pick in 2005) steps it up because thats a pretty bad top 6. Especially when you consider it's going to be put in front of suspect goaltending (Martin Gerber and Alex Auld). They better hope they can outscore teams this year because that defensive unit looks shaky.

Nah, I don't like it as a Sens fan. Sure some pieces are good for the future but the Sens are a win now team. Kuba is ok but I don't think he's going to have a better offensive presence on the blueline, which looks terrible now. Although these last two seasons are Kuba's best in terms of production.

Volchenkov-Kuba

Phillips-Smith

Picard-Schubert

I sure hope this is the year Brian Lee (9th overall pick in 2005) steps it up because thats a pretty bad top 6. Especially when you consider it's going to be put in front of suspect goaltending (Martin Gerber and Alex Auld). They better hope they can outscore teams this year because that defensive unit looks shaky.

volchenkov and phillips are good D-men. schubert is a poor man's Streit. I question their mobility and puck moving though. Lee is a good puck mover and his skaring above average.

Ottawa will have to win many games by one goal if they want to make it to the playoffs.

volchenkov and phillips are good D-men. schubert is a poor man's Streit. I question their mobility and puck moving though. Lee is a good puck mover and his skaring above average.

Ottawa will have to win many games by one goal if they want to make it to the playoffs.

Phillips is the downslide though and Schubert is terrible, I've never liked him. Their mobility was questioned when they still had Corvo, Redden and Mezsaros. Now all three are gone with only Kuba back in to replace them.

Even though he hasn't been great recently, I'd almost like to see the Khabibulin to Ottawa rumors come true. He'd give me more confidence in the team then Gerber or Auld.

Even though he hasn't been great recently, I'd almost like to see the Khabibulin to Ottawa rumors come true. He'd give me more confidence in the team then Gerber or Auld.

it could happen with the cap space they "saved" on the trade

Phillips is the downslide though and Schubert is terrible, I've never liked him. Their mobility was questioned when they still had Corvo, Redden and Mezsaros. Now all three are gone with only Kuba back in to replace them.

I concur, Schubert is a bum. The only legitimate comparison one could make with him and Streit are that they both played F and D. But Schubert has no offensive vision, and his shot is brutal from what I've seen. I could see Picard taking his position this year.

The Bulin wall would definitely be an upgrade over Gerber or Auld. Especially with the Sens' D this year.

I dunno. People are saying this looks like a steal for Murray -- but i'm thinking the total opposite.

The trade in itself may tilt towards Ottawa, but TB gets a 22 year old who's be putting up almost 40pts per season in his first 3 years. Kuba is 7 years older and i think his very best will equal the least from Meszaros. Maybe Picard evens that out.

But what i really see here is Murray loosing the reins.

- He sacked his new coach in his first season and didn't better the record much when he went back down behind the bench.

- He brought in trade deadline guys who didn't do much for him (and i don't think they're re-signed)

- He lost Redden who despite what fans say, is still an asset to the team (maybe not worth 6 mil)

- His PR nightmare of Ray Emery cost them a fairly decent goalie prospect who the year before brought them fairly deep. * This was also Ray's fault -- but poorly handled by Management.

- He can't retain an excellent defensive prospect who's career could mirror the next Andrei Markov (he's 22 years old!)

He may have done a couple things on the off-season to help the team (Jason Smith)-- but he's undoing a lot of the building that Muckler had put together. I still think Muckler was a great GM and him getting the boot because the team couldn't carrying themselves deep into the playoffs had little to do with him.

Anyone agree?

That wasn't the reason Muckler was fired, it was because there were some deep personal issues between him and Murray which boiled over after the Finals. Melnyk liked Murray more then Muckler and thus, Muckler was the one canned.

Your points all make sense though and are all things I've thought. Murray should've held out on trading him and then matched if an offer sheet ever came.

there wasn't any offer sheet coming because the bolts didn't have their 3rd round pick. Pits had it and they weren't giving it back. So I don't know what Murray was afraid of. I think he just got stubborn and sent mesz away.