Number 33 retired this november

Habsfan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind if I join as well guys?

Of course not. The more the merrier!!!

Like I said to Wamsley, I'll send you both my cell number and we can have a beer or two...or three! ;):clap:

Of course not. The more the merrier!!!

Like I said to Wamsley, I'll send you both my cell number and we can have a beer or two...or three! ;):clap:

Habsworld Summit :) Anybody else??

I imagine the beer will be flowing for me that weekend. Saturday night Roy's retirement, and on Sunday

the Grey Cup. The fact that Roy is being retired that weekend is a blessing for me. I probably would not have

made it otherwise :clap:

Edited by Wamsley01

I just read Eric Engels article on Patrick, he states that Patrick went to Ronald (crazy) Corey the next day after the infamous night and apologized and asked to stay with the Canadiens. If that is true and i do not think there is any way to prove or disprove it then I say any objection to Patrick's sweater being retired is gone. Only 2 boneheads like fing (swearing should be allowed when referring to these idiots phew spit on ground) Houle and the supremely stupid Tremblay would trade the greatest money goalie of all time after that.

I just read Eric Engels article on Patrick, he states that Patrick went to Ronald (crazy) Corey the next day after the infamous night and apologized and asked to stay with the Canadiens. If that is true and i do not think there is any way to prove or disprove it then I say any objection to Patrick's sweater being retired is gone. Only 2 boneheads like fing (swearing should be allowed when referring to these idiots phew spit on ground) Houle and the supremely stupid Tremblay would trade the greatest money goalie of all time after that.

Roy said he thought it would all get worked out. Which leads me to believe one of two things.

1. That Corey/Houle/Tremblay are incompetents (proven by their actions and the on ice results)

2. They had a hidden agenda which Tremblay acted out by trying to bring him in line. When he acted out they had

their opportunity to make their example that Tremblay/Houle were running the show and everybody would fall in line.

Roy would either Fall in line, or be made an example of if he didn't.

I actually think they are both true. The sight of those three disgusts me to this day.

There have been plenty of examples of players throwing tantrums that were worked out behind the scenes.

Only in Montreal would it get turned into Roy quitting on his team. Utter nonsense, there is no reason that Tremblay

had to tell the media that night what he had said.

Any competent management would have brought it in house until they settled their differences. It would save face for

the player and allow you to shop him if need be without a gun to your head. MORONS!

It is one thing to side with Bowman/Hitchcock/Burns/WIlson etc over your iconic franchise goalie. But two guys who

have had the job for two months? Ludicrous

They embarrassed him for their own agenda. There is no doubt in my mind.

Edited by Wamsley01

I heard Benoit Brunet on the Radio last night saying that everyplayer in the dressing room knew that at some point something was gonna explode in the dressing room(between Tremblay and Roy). He also says that he remembers thinking to himself during the game that Mario should have taken Roy out after the first period(where ROy had given up 5 goals on only 17 shots).

Just the way that Brunet was telling the story, it gave me the impression that most of the players had sided with Roy on this issue! (the feud between Tremblay and Roy)

Can we really blame them. They had won a cup with St-Patty, whereas Tremblay was a rookie coach who had absolutely no experience!

Well there's also the fact that he hardly played half his career with the Canadiens, and most of his great accomplishments were shared between the Canadiens and the Avalanche; half his Stanley Cups were won in Colorado, he almost has as many regulars season games and wins with the Avalanche as with the Canadiens, and he actually played in and won more playoff games in Colorado.

If Patrick Roy had retired instead of asking for a trade, this would be his legacy in Montreal:

Regular season record: 289-175-66

Playoff record: 70-42

2 Staney Cups

1 Calder

3 Vezina

5 Jennings

2 Conn Smythe

Those are pretty impressive, but is this enough to see his number retired? Of course, based on what other organizations have done (i.e Lafontaine in Long Island), there's not even a doubt about it...

I heard Benoit Brunet on the Radio last night saying that everyplayer in the dressing room knew that at some point something was gonna explode in the dressing room(between Tremblay and Roy). He also says that he remembers thinking to himself during the game that Mario should have taken Roy out after the first period(where ROy had given up 5 goals on only 17 shots).

Just the way that Brunet was telling the story, it gave me the impression that most of the players had sided with Roy on this issue! (the feud between Tremblay and Roy)

Can we really blame them. They had won a cup with St-Patty, whereas Tremblay was a rookie coach who had absolutely no experience!

Why wouldn't they. Some broadcaster turned rookie coach comes in with the my way or the highway attitude and the players

are supposed to side with him? The whole scenario was ridiculous.

Yet somehow the media turned it into Roy quitting on his team. Roy was saying him or me, and foolishly Corey chose the two guys

with ZERO experience, not the two time Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe/Vezina winner. We are talking REGGIE HOULE and MARIO TREMBLAY.

It is not like it was Guy Lafleur and Larry Robinson. Or Bowman and Pollock.

The decision directly resulted in some of the darkest times in Canadiens history.

Well there's also the fact that he hardly played half his career with the Canadiens, and most of his great accomplishments were shared between the Canadiens and the Avalanche; half his Stanley Cups were won in Colorado, he almost has as many regulars season games and wins with the Avalanche as with the Canadiens, and he actually played in and won more playoff games in Colorado.

If Patrick Roy had retired instead of asking for a trade, this would be his legacy in Montreal:

Regular season record: 289-175-66

Playoff record: 70-42

2 Staney Cups

1 Calder

3 Vezina

5 Jennings

2 Conn Smythe

Those are pretty impressive, but is this enough to see his number retired? Of course, based on what other organizations have done (i.e Lafontaine in Long Island), there's not even a doubt about it...

How many goalies can match those type of numbers in a career? Let alone 10 years?

There are only 24 goalies (excluding Roy) in NHL history with more wins than 289, and that was only the first half of his career.

Edited by Wamsley01

How many goalies can match those type of numbers in a career? Let alone 10 years?

Not many! I can think of 1 guy, who will most likely pass Roy next year.

Yet somehow the media turned it into Roy quitting on his team. Roy was saying him or me, and foolishly Corey chose the two guys

with ZERO experience, not the two time Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe/Vezina winner. We are talking REGGIE HOULE and MARIO TREMBLAY.

It is not like it was Guy Lafleur and Larry Robinson. Or Bowman and Pollock.

You can't be surprised that Corey chose Tremblay after Roy said he had played his last game with the Canadiens. That part was common sense. Doing otherwise would have undermined the coach (and any coach that followed). It would also have been a major embarrassment for Corey, as he had only just hired them.

The decision to hire them in the first place was the real mistake, of course, but we shouldn't ignore Corey's ongoing role in their failure. In some situations, Houle was shedding salary or making moves for the sake of the image of the team (rather than the on-ice product), and many people feel these philosophies were influenced by Corey.

And, I love Guy Lafleur the player, but having heard what he's had to say on various topics, I'm not sure he would have done any better as GM.

You can't be surprised that Corey chose Tremblay after Roy said he had played his last game with the Canadiens. That part was common sense. Doing otherwise would have undermined the coach (and any coach that followed). It would also have been a major embarrassment for Corey, as he had only just hired them.

The decision to hire them in the first place was the real mistake, of course, but we shouldn't ignore Corey's ongoing role in their failure. In some situations, Houle was shedding salary or making moves for the sake of the image of the team (rather than the on-ice product), and many people feel these philosophies were influenced by Corey.

And, I love Guy Lafleur the player, but having heard what he's had to say on various topics, I'm not sure he would have done any better as GM.

Not endorsing Lafleur as GM, just that he was a Canadiens legend and superstar, not a 3rd line big mouth.

For one thing it NEVER had to be revealed what Roy said. To Tremblay or otherwise. If he did know what he said,

it did not need to result in a trade. Players and coaches forgive and forget ALL THE TIME.

I am talking about siding with Tremblay with the head games. But like you said, it is obvious that these were Corey's guys

and to not side with them, would be essentially admitting he was a bloody fool. That was not going to happen.

Which is why the PR machine went to work to paint Roy as the bad guy and leaving the Canadiens NO CHOICE

but to get rid of this selfish malcontent who had placed himself before the team.

It is typical MLSE self serving corporate bullshit that Richard Peddie has perfected.

I do not absolve Roy of all blame. He let his emotion get the best of him and his ego exploded.

But with the current management structure the whole thing would have been swept under the rug like

it was in Dallas when Belfour pulled the same BS with Hitchcock. Gainey is a confident executive

with class and experience and handled the situation with aplomb.

Houle was in over his head and reacted like a desperate man does. He covered his own ass FIRST, then

worried about the consequences later.

Edited by Wamsley01

Not endorsing Lafleur as GM, just that he was a Canadiens legend and superstar, not a 3rd line big mouth.

For one thing it NEVER had to be revealed what Roy said. To Tremblay or otherwise. If he did know what he said,

it did not need to result in a trade. Players and coaches forgive and forget ALL THE TIME.

I am talking about siding with Tremblay with the head games. But like you said, it is obvious that these were Corey's guys

and to not side with them, would be essentially admitting he was a bloody fool. That was not going to happen.

Which is why the PR machine went to work to paint Roy as the bad guy and leaving the Canadiens NO CHOICE

but to get rid of this selfish malcontent who had placed himself before the team.

It is typical MLSE self serving corporate bullshit that Richard Peddie has perfected.

I do not absolve Roy of all blame. He let his emotion get the best of him and his ego exploded.

But with the current management structure the whole thing would have been swept under the rug like

it was in Dallas when Belfour pulled the same BS with Hitchcock. Gainey is a confident executive

Houle was in over his head and reacted like a desperate man does. He covered his own ass FIRST, then

well said and I agree, I watch how situations are handled by Bob problem with kovy: talk to him get him going in the right direction. same with all the little things like this that come up. ASSHOLE sorry i mean Tremblay wanted to prove he was the boss and he did. f'ing dummy sorry I mean Houle had to side with his coach. as far as being coach and gm these 2 would fail an IQ test.

ASSHOLE sorry i mean Tremblay wanted to prove he was the boss and he did. f'ing dummy sorry I mean Houle had to side with his coach. as far as being coach and gm these 2 would fail an IQ test.

Now that was fvc.king hilarious! :D:clap: :lool: :bow:

Corey's first step should have been to fire Tremblay on the spot. Once Patrick came over to say that on the bench, Corey should have nodded quietly, then stood up, walked to Tremblay, touched him on the shoulder, smiled, then said, "Door's over there, don't let it hit you on the way out." Then walk to Roy, indicate the problem was fixed, apologize, and say water under the bridge.

Yes, Roy had a huge ego, but Tremblay - the coach who'd let us precisely nowhere - tried to place HIS ego over Patrick's - the star goalie who'd won the club two Stanley Cups. No brainer, Tremblay should have been turfed immediately.

That said, under Corey, the organization was laughable. He and his staff slowly dismantled the league's most enviable franchise. When Boivin took over, Montreal wasn't much better than the Leafs under Harold Ballard. It took Boivin's class and ability to surround himself with more class and intelligence to pick us up out of a very deep hole. Once Gillett stepped in and fostored the 'family' idea, there was little doubt we'd slowly climb the ranks. Now, from Gillett to Boivin to Gainey to Carbonneau - and all the related staff - we have a class organization again, built with a family concept and with concrete goals and a definite method to building the club.

Night and day. And surprise upon surprise, the classy boys have mended fences with someone who should have been in Montreal his whole career, and have recognized that, without him, we wouldn't be driving for Cup 25, but Cup 23 instead. Roy may have a big ego, but he was one of the best, a true winner, and a legend with this club. Anyone who doesn't believe that needs to go watch his exploits during those Cup runs. The wink to Sandstrom? Very few ever get away with that stuff - the stuff of pure legend.

• 1 month later...

Hey Wamsley,

I know I said I'd get tickets for that game, but I've just been advised that I won't be able to get tickets for the Nov. 22nd game. (i got tickets for the Nov 15th game against the Flyers)

Anyways, I won't be at the game, But I intend on being at the Cage Aux Sports(inside the Bell Centre)that night. So it'll almost be like I was "at the game". I plan on showing up early enough(around 3PM) so I'll make sure to have enough room for me and my buddies(and anyone else from the Boards) who would like to join up before and after the game.

You guys are all welcome to join us at our table...but I must warn you, we might get a little rowdy!!!YEEHAAA!!!!

I'll post my Cell phone number on this thread a few days before the game!

Cheers! :clap:

Edited by Habsfan

Hey Wamsley,

I know I said I'd get tickets for that game, but I've just been advised that I won't be able to get tickets for the Nov. 22nd game. (i got tickets for the Nov 15th game against the Flyers)

Anyways, I won't be at the game, But I intend on being at the Cage Aux Sports(inside the Bell Centre)that night. So it'll almost be like I was "at the game". I plan on showing up early enough(around 3PM) so I'll make sure to have enough room for me and my buddies(and anyone else from the Boards) who would like to join up before and after the game.

You guys are all welcome to join us at our table...but I must warn you, we might get a little rowdy!!!YEEHAAA!!!!

I'll post my Cell phone number on this thread a few days before the game!

Cheers! :clap:

Cool, I am going solo so I will have the time to meet up

I would still like to meet for a beer as well.

No problem!! I plan on calling to make my reservation on sunday(i figure 1 month in advance should be good enough! ;)

If anyone else is interested, just make sure to let me know before sunday!

• 2 weeks later...

All right boys, I tried getting reservations at the Cage Aux Sports (Bell Centre), however I was told that they don't take reservations on game nights. Another problem was that only people who have tickets to the game can go to the Cage Aux Sports (Bell Centre) before the game.

So I decided to make a reservation at the Peel Pub (1196 Peel Street, south of Ste-Catherine street) for 4PM on Nov. 22nd. The Peel Pub is only 2 or 3 blocks away from the Bell Centre(2 minute walk). The Beer is inexpensive and the atmosphere is usually better than at La Cage.

I know JMMR and Wamsley said that they'd be interested in meeting up before the game, i'm hoping that this change of plan won't stop you guys (and anyone else who's interested) in joning me and a few of my buddies at the Peel Pub. BY the way I made reservations for 8 to 10 people. I've got 3 of my buddies who'll be there, and If I count JMMR and Wamsley, that leaves room for 2 to 4 other people!

All right boys, I tried getting reservations at the Cage Aux Sports (Bell Centre), however I was told that they don't take reservations on game nights. Another problem was that only people who have tickets to the game can go to the Cage Aux Sports (Bell Centre) before the game.

So I decided to make a reservation at the Peel Pub (1196 Peel Street, south of Ste-Catherine street) for 4PM on Nov. 22nd. The Peel Pub is only 2 or 3 blocks away from the Bell Centre(2 minute walk). The Beer is inexpensive and the atmosphere is usually better than at La Cage.

I know JMMR and Wamsley said that they'd be interested in meeting up before the game, i'm hoping that this change of plan won't stop you guys (and anyone else who's interested) in joning me and a few of my buddies at the Peel Pub. BY the way I made reservations for 8 to 10 people. I've got 3 of my buddies who'll be there, and If I count JMMR and Wamsley, that leaves room for 2 to 4 other people!

I have 3 people coming with me.

1st off, wish I could make it, but I am still confined to a reno house....

2nd off, Will I ever get over the fact that Schutt and Lemaire are being over looked?

Damn I miss that line.

Thank you Kovalev for bringing class back to Montreal!

By far Bob's biggest injection still.

Been 30 years since I have witnessed puck control like have seen this year on our PP and I credit him.

I can't thank him enough.

Ever since his playoff oops 2 yrs back this guy has been the perfect leader.

Anyone doubting my 30 points in 21 games?

I will try to make it for 4. I am taking the train in and will not get into Montreal til mid afternoon.

I will have my blackberry with me, I will PM you the address.

I will try to make it for 4. I am taking the train in and will not get into Montreal til mid afternoon.

NIce train station is very close to the Peel Pub. 1 block.

I have 3 people coming with me.

No problem! We have room!

Cool! I'll post my cell phone number a few days before!!!