Kovalev at Tout le monde en parle

KoZed

For those who don't know, Tout le monde en parle is a big talk show in Quebec.

Kovalev was accompanied by Dr. Suzanne Vobecky to talk about a foundation they started to help new-born with heart diseases get proper care.

He said he wanted to help because he had such health troubles as a kid and had to make tough decisions at the start of his career.

Said he dont see himself go back to Russia to play there. He joked that the last time he went to Russia 2 years ago he got in trouble.

Then they got actress Anne Dorval on set (a huge fan) to say a couple of words in Russian to Kovy. He was a good sport and played along. He probably spoke more French in that little interview than Koivu did his whole career in Montreal.

He gave a typical hockey player answer when asked if he wanted to play with Lang, saying he just want to bring the Cup back to Montreal. Stephane Dion (Liberals candidate in current elections) was on the panel and started talking about how much a fan he was and Kovy just pointed at Dion and shouted "I chose him!"

Talked about last season and how he didnt felt he had anything left to prove but just wanted to continue his career in a good way. Said he told to a journalist once "I'll stay here until you get sick of me!"

Overall showed a funny side of Kovy. He played to the crowd often which most guests dont do.

Then they got actress Anne Dorval on set (a huge fan) to say a couple of words in Russian to Kovy. He was a good sport and played along. He probably spoke more French in that little interview than Koivu did his whole career in Montreal.

He gave a ........

TRADE KOIVU!!!!

:rolleyes:

Yup... Welcome to the wonderful world of sarcasm...

Unfortuanely if you look at other French message boards (ex. RDS), this is yet another proof that Koivu is an awful captain, and that Kovalev deserves to replace him. That and bacause he hung up on Marc DeFoy when he called him this summer to get his thoughts on Sundin, and because he didn't waste about 4 days to travel back and forth from Finland to play some golf...

Unfortuanely if you look at other French message boards (ex. RDS), this is yet another proof that Koivu is an awful captain, and that Kovalev deserves to replace him. That and bacause he hung up on Marc DeFoy when he called him this summer to get his thoughts on Sundin, and because he didn't waste about 4 days to travel back and forth from Finland to play some golf...

Key word is unfortunately. When we win the Cup and Koivu's our captain, hopefully people will get over it. And if we don't, or they don't, I don't really care. The guy's a great captain, a great leader, and does a great job...

Key word is unfortunately. When we win the Cup and Koivu's our captain, hopefully people will get over it. And if we don't, or they don't, I don't really care. The guy's a great captain, a great leader, and does a great job...

I agree, actually I think he's been highly underrated by francophone Habs fans, which is strange since he seems to be highly regarded througout the rest of the hockey world (both as a leader and player). Many people on the RDS website actually think that almost no one would want Saku Koivu if Bob Gainey were to make him available at the trade deadline, which is ridiculous... but then again the same fans said the same from Craig Rivet, another highly respected veteran everywhere but in Montreal who was traded once for a 1st rounder and Josh Gorges, and the second time for 2 second rounders.

Ya know....

I was just being silly. Kozed just stated something factual, and I don't think there was any emotion behind what he was saying. Kovalev probably HAS spoken more French than Koivu. I merely rolled my eyes (while I was laughing here at the computer) because the whole "Koivu isn't French emough to lead the Habs" issue was probably going to come up. Again. My post was neither a slag on Koz nor an actual call for the trade of Koivu. He's one of the few hockey players I really respect.

I know it's a bone of contention for the Frencophone fans that Koivu doesn't attempt more French, that someone who is not Francophone is captain of Les Habitants, and that he doesn't seem to respect the fans. This ridiculous merry-go-round rises its horned head and flicks its forked tongue every year. Constantly, actually. Which is a shame.

Koivu was chosen. By his peers. Doesn't that say enough about his leadership? Seems to me, those who wanted him captain had no care in the world if he spoke French.

And as for him hanging up on a member of the French press? Kudos. They give him no respect, he repays in kind. And before there are responses saying he should respect the French fans and speak French, let me remind you that he's in the business of HOCKEY, not of politics. He's there to lead a team, not pander. Unless I'm horribly mistaken, he speaks the English language and can therefore communicate with ALL his teammates, coaches, managers and trainers. That's all that really matters, isn't it.

Ya know....

I was just being silly. Kozed just stated something factual, and I don't think there was any emotion behind what he was saying. Kovalev probably HAS spoken more French than Koivu. I merely rolled my eyes (while I was laughing here at the computer) because the whole "Koivu isn't French emough to lead the Habs" issue was probably going to come up. Again. My post was neither a slag on Koz nor an actual call for the trade of Koivu. He's one of the few hockey players I really respect.

The thing -- and I've wrote about it before -- is that Koivu knows French. His wife is a Quebec girl. Mark Recchi spilled the beans a couple years ago. Koivu understands what journalists says if they talk to him in French. He's just too shy and uncomfortable to reply in French. Would it be better PR if he did: yes. Is it a necessity: no. He's been here so long, it's not gonna change anyway.

I just mentionned it to show how comfortable and playful Kovy was during his interview on a big prime-time show. The guy's a showman.

The thing -- and I've wrote about it before -- is that Koivu knows French. His wife is a Quebec girl. Mark Recchi spilled the beans a couple years ago. Koivu understands what journalists says if they talk to him in French. He's just too shy and uncomfortable to reply in French. Would it be better PR if he did: yes. Is it a necessity: no. He's been here so long, it's not gonna change anyway.

I just mentionned it to show how comfortable and playful Kovy was during his interview on a big prime-time show. The guy's a showman.

Bingo.

Technically, I'm bilingual. I don't like speaking it either, though, because I'm not comfortable with my accent.

She's not a Quebec girl... I don't think? I'm almost certain she's finish and speaks French because she learned it a young age far from Quebec... Do you know otherwise??

As for Kovy, I think his speaking French on the show is more a factor of his personality - being a showman, as you state - and not of his respect for French or rather Koivu's disrespect. It's hard making all these mistakes speaking in another language... Koivu's just not that "type" who's gonna talk in a language he's not comfortable in to the general public. I think that's all there is to it.

I agree, actually I think he's been highly underrated by francophone Habs fans, which is strange since he seems to be highly regarded througout the rest of the hockey world (both as a leader and player). Many people on the RDS website actually think that almost no one would want Saku Koivu if Bob Gainey were to make him available at the trade deadline, which is ridiculous... but then again the same fans said the same from Craig Rivet, another highly respected veteran everywhere but in Montreal who was traded once for a 1st rounder and Josh Gorges, and the second time for 2 second rounders.

SJ did overpay for Rivet though. I honestly couldn't stand him. He was mistake prone and was only highly regarded because he was tough and had a reputation for being good in the locker room. Gorges is already a better player than Rivet without the 1st

She's not a Quebec girl... I don't think? I'm almost certain she's finish and speaks French because she learned it a young age far from Quebec... Do you know otherwise??

I'm almost certain you are right. Koivu's wife/girlfriend is Finnish. But she doesn't speak french. She has been living here for over 10 years now, and she picked it up more easily than koivu did!

SJ did overpay for Rivet though.

Agreed! Next year, Gorges will be a better player than Rivet ever was!

I'm almost certain you are right. Koivu's wife/girlfriend is Finnish. But she doesn't speak french. She has been living here for over 10 years now, and she picked it up more easily than koivu did!

My bad. His wife is Finnish (named Hanna Norio) but francophone. Saku joked a few times that he speaks French to her "in private" (if you catch his drift...) which would explain how it might feel weird for him to speak French in public. ;)

My bad. His wife is Finnish (named Hanna Norio) but francophone. Saku joked a few times that he speaks French to her "in private" (if you catch his drift...) which would explain how it might feel weird for him to speak French in public. ;)

lol. Saku only knows how to seduce in french?!

Media: What do you think the Canadiens' chances of winning the Cup are this year?

Saku (in french): Let's get you some wine and out of those uncomfortable clothes...

Media: That good, eh?