The Canadiens may have dodged a bullet

CerebusClone

I was just reading an article on faceoff.com about Dicky Moore wanting to purchase the team when it was for sale, but couldn't get the funds from banks.

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/columnists/s...20-70b30fc9fbfd

Where I think we really dodged a bullet is when Moore mentions that he had the perfect man for the job of President - someone who succesfully opened a restaurant afterwards - none other than Guy Lafleur! Now I don't want to criticize such a great Canadiens player from the past, but Guy Lafleur just doen't have the pedigree, the knowledge, or the skills to run such a prestigious, multi-million dollar company like the Montreal Canadiens.

Running a successful restaurant is one thing - especially when it's a franchise with a proven business model such as Mike's and you are considered one of the greatest Habs players of all time - however it has nothing to do with running a large and complex organization such as the Caandiens.

I think the main reason the Montreal Canadiens are not only back on track, but now becoming once again one of the top sports organizations in North America, is the incredible work of our current President, Pierre Boivin. He did a phenomenal job marketing-wise, he created a Habs culture and a family that everyone in the organization must live by, he named Bob Gainey who was perhaps the perfect general manager for our rebuilding process (we needed someone with patience, a highly respected individual who could stand up to the Quebec media and fans), and he basically reshaped the entire organization from top to bottom.

I can't even imagine where we would be today without Piere Boivin, let alone if we had been in the hands of a dumb ex-hockey player with absolutely no qualification for running a multi-million dollar organization.

I'm JUST fine with the current team admin. In fact, I love it. No offense to Lafleur on the ice, but I also think he would have been a disastrous president.

Yup. Boivin has done an excellent job so far. Getting rid of Houle & Co, getting AS and after that Gainey, serving as a bridge between Gillett and the hockey people, maintaining a strong corporate idendity througout the bad times, etc.

This may go a long way towards explaining some of Lafleur's disparaging and out of the blue comments about the team the past few years. If he'd known about the possibility of becoming president thru Moore buying the team (and how could he not), it's simply a case of sour grapes.

This may go a long way towards explaining some of Lafleur's disparaging and out of the blue comments about the team the past few years. If he'd known about the possibility of becoming president thru Moore buying the team (and how could he not), it's simply a case of sour grapes.

Guy Lafleur could open his own winery with all his sour grapes. Whether it’s about how unfairly he was treated by the Canadiens when he was a player, or about how unfairly NHL owners treated players back in his days, or about how unfairly he was treated by the Montreal police and the solicitor general recently, or how unfair it was that Darryl Stiller makes more money than he does as ambassador … the guy just keeps complaining about everything.

That, his gigantic ego, and the fact he likes to be in the spotlight are probably why he’s always trying to create controversy b putting down the organization, the league, and its players. We’re talking about a guy who mentioned a few years ago– I think it was on 110% – that he could he make comeback today at his current age, and still be a half decent depth player… I think he’s the only past player who cannot admit that players today are significantly bigger, faster, and stronger, and that the game has reached a whole new level.

Sometimes Lafleur reminds of the Ramses character on the movie Nacho Libre, he needs people to flatter his ego constantly:

Lafleur is number 1

His moves are number 1

His hair is number 1

His legs are number 1

We’re talking about a guy who mentioned a few years ago– I think it was on 110% –

I don't think so! Lafleur has never been on 110%.

I don't think so! Lafleur has never been on 110%.

You might be right, I think Lafleur mentioned it during an interview, and it was [uselessly] debated on 110% the same day; mostly I think they wanted to criticize the players by saying that Lafleur was still today better than many of them.