Who Will You/Would You Vote For In Tmrw's Federal Election?

blaze53

Who Are You Voting For?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Federal Party Has Your Support?

• The Liberals
    • The Conservatives
    • The NDP
    • The Green Party
    • The Bloc Quebecois
    • Independent MP

Hmm polls are saying the Conservatives :puke: are going to win with a minority, what do you guys think?

I'm hoping they win...

Conservatives. I still have some hope for a majority, but I think a minority is what we will end up with.

Amen!!!

I may have to vote strategically instead of with my party. It's going to be a lst minute decision.

That is always dangerous, but I might have to do the same thing. Fact of the matter is, there isnt any party that would really represent my views.

• Dion has grown on me, but Liberals are in favor of big central Federal government. I'm for decentralized, minimal Federal government.
  • Decentralization fits the Conservatives, but they have a socially right-wing agenda, which is incompatible with my socially centrist/left-wing values.
  • I favor provincial supremacy over federal government, but the Bloc quebecois is perpetuating the whiny, bitchy baby-boomers culture I can't stand.
  • I'm fiscally center-right, so the NDP can do nothing for me.

Sooo... basically the only choice I'm left with that actually fits my views would be the Green Party.

That is always dangerous, but I might have to do the same thing. Fact of the matter is, there isnt any party that would really represent my views.

• Dion has grown on me, but Liberals are in favor of big central Federal government. I'm for decentralized, minimal Federal government.
  • Decentralization fits the Conservatives, but they have a socially right-wing agenda, which is incompatible with my socially centrist/left-wing values.
  • I favor provincial supremacy over federal government, but the Bloc quebecois is perpetuating the whiny, bitchy baby-boomers culture I can't stand.
  • I'm fiscally centre-right, so the NDP can do nothing for me.

Sooo... basically the only choice I'm left with that actually fits my views would be the Green Party.

Right now I'm also more about a fiscally conservative economic agenda and the Conservatives fit that bill. I have no problems with a socially centrist/left wing policy IF it's run effectively...in fact, if it's run effectively I'd vote for it. I just don't think many programs have been run effectively for years. Many are so mismanged since the money tap has been turned on full since the mid-90's. Sometimes I think it takes a Conservative government to come in and get them to tighten up...of course, it leads to a huge WHINE from the hardcore left which is as annoying as a spoiled child crying for more toys. I always thought that if the country alternated between the Conservatives and Liberals we'd have the ship moving in a good direction...but minority governments throw that out of whack since elections occur more frequently.

I'm also annoyed at the entire concept of strategic voting and coalitions...it's a ridiculous response to unwarrented fear mongering.

First we hear that the Conservatives are anti-democractic and pushed all these policies through government at will...of course, if your party forms a coalition or you vote strategically thats supposedly different?? The reason is that people are afraid of the Conservatives "hidden agenda"...of course, if they could push anything through during Harpers last 2.5 years why didn't they force their agenda through then?? If someone believes it's because they were in a minority then the first premise is false. Not only that, where were the Liberals as an effective opposition if the Conservatives were pushing everything they wanted through?? And if they weren't an effective opposition why should we believe they are ready to govern??

This election is a mess...as per usual...but I trust the Conservatives not to screw up the economy any more then the US is already doing. The others will just push us into an even worse mess then we're already going to see.

I'm still undecided between the Conservatives and the NDP. Although I'm not really a fan of the Conservative party, they are our best option at this point of time, and probably the only party that can effectively run lead this country (the Liberals are a mess, the NDP isn’t quite ready, and the others only offer partial plans on a few specific key issues). The only reason not to vote for them is that evil “hidden agenda”, which I don’t think exists; although some of their basic values are old-fashioned and a little too much to the right, I don’t think they’ll act on those values, but rather govern as a centrist, right-wing government, not unlike Sarkozy in France.

As for the NDP, I obviously don’t want them to win the election, but I would like to see them get more votes and seats so that they can move forward, and eventually become a serious option. They need a more comprehensive plan, and start moving closer to the centre, not unlike Conservatives in the last few years. A stronger leader wouldn’t hurt them either…

Right now I'm also more about a fiscally conservative economic agenda and the Conservatives fit that bill. I have no problems with a socially centrist/left wing policy IF it's run effectively...in fact, if it's run effectively I'd vote for it. I just don't think many programs have been run effectively for years. Many are so mismanged since the money tap has been turned on full since the mid-90's. Sometimes I think it takes a Conservative government to come in and get them to tighten up...of course, it leads to a huge WHINE from the hardcore left which is as annoying as a spoiled child crying for more toys. I always thought that if the country alternated between the Conservatives and Liberals we'd have the ship moving in a good direction...but minority governments throw that out of whack since elections occur more frequently.

out of curiosity, does huge right wing whining not annoy you?

out of curiosity, does huge right wing whining not annoy you?

To be honest I never really hear people whining for things like a fiscally sound economic policy...I suppose it could be done...just never heard it. Feel free to give an example...

I do however get to hear lots of people crying for government money to fund things that either don't work, are implemented poorly or should never have been funded in the first place...

Which one do you hear more of??

To be honest I never really hear people whining for things like a fiscally sound economic policy...I suppose it could be done...just never heard it. Feel free to give an example...

I do however get to hear lots of people crying for government money to fund things that either don't work, are implemented poorly or should never have been funded in the first place...

Which one do you hear more of??

i hear right-wingers whining about abortion and prayer in schools and bitching about too much regulation. I see the right overcompensated for their latent homosexuality by gay bashing. In the US I read Scalia whining like a little baby in every dissent he's ever written.

I read NRO whining that the right isn't right enough. I read the Washington Times complain that the left are terrorists.

I listen to the right bitch and moan about some "angry left" and generally that the left doesn't get it and that the only problem is that albeit years and years of control (and domination of the American judiciary) the reason that the gov't doesn't work is that they dont have enough power.

Perhaps the Canadian right is less whiny, but I somehow doubt it.

i hear right-wingers whining about abortion and prayer in schools and bitching about too much regulation. I see the right overcompensated for their latent homosexuality by gay bashing. In the US I read Scalia whining like a little baby in every dissent he's ever written.

I read NRO whining that the right isn't right enough. I read the Washington Times complain that the left are terrorists.

I listen to the right bitch and moan about some "angry left" and generally that the left doesn't get it and that the only problem is that albeit years and years of control (and domination of the American judiciary) the reason that the gov't doesn't work is that they dont have enough power.

No that was pretty much bang on.

The Canadian "right" is far more centrist overall then in the US. Many Canadians fall into the trap of believing media, like The Star in Toronto, which try to put Canadian right wing (ie Conservatives) politics on par with George Bush. The reality is that right wing politics in Canada is FAR closer to the centre then in the US. In fact, having spent a lot of time on both sides of the border, the Conservatives AND Liberals are probably a lot closer to the Democrats in general...of course, with the US being a 2 party system you've got a lot more fringe extremists in both the Dems and Republicans BUT the entire Canadian political spectrum is already shifted further left then in the US.

I have never once heard anyone whine about abortion at any level...religious or not...but I'm sure it probably happens. Overall, there is almost no media presence that really discusses banning abortion, "gay bashes", etc...no one is out accusing the NDP of being terrorist supporters...again, not saying it doesn't happen ever (though I've never personally seen it). Now I can read about media support for funding extremely left wing social programs every day...I would be willing to bet that Toronto alone has upwards of 100 individual social programs to help the poor...and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was much higher. There are literally thousands of federal programs on top of the provincial and municipal programs...

Hell, the Conservatives wanted to cut arts funding by $45 million they felt was spent on ineffective programs and it, almost single handedly, cost them a majority...bear in mind that this is a program they had increased spending to the past 2 years. We're talking around, a what, 1% budget cut?? If thats not whining I don't know what is...we're talking about giant media coverage, actors flying around and "speaking out", Quebecers claiming it's an attack against their culture, etc...some here may disagree but it was/is way out of perspective.

Does anyone remember seeing any Canadian media actually preaching against abortion, actually gay bashing, etc?? Most I can recall actually being a media issue is on gun control. Toronto's mayor, David Miller, has been running across Canada promoting a hand-gun ban (inclusive of gun clubs, shooting ranges, and all)...but it hasn't led anywhere even close to the heated NRO type of politicism. Some people have written letters to the editor...that's about it. There is no Charleton Heston crying about "prying it from his cold dead hands"...we don't really have civilian militia's and the like either.

Again, people like to put right and left into tidy little packages and use them across both the US and Canada but it just doesn't work. In general, Canadians are more passive (or passive-aggressive), generally most are fairly centrist and generally more apathetic (as evidenced by the 59% voter turnout) then Americans. And by Centrist that would be Left of Centre in the USA.

I agree with Zowpeb. It also must be said that there is a lot less emphasis on the whole concept of 'right' and 'left' in Canada then there seems to be in the U.S., at least between the two main parties (Conservatives and Liberals). Sure, one is considered further right than the other, but both are expected to, and do, govern pragmatically, without letting ideology get in the way of their decisions. The Harper government has directed the party further right than previous conservative governments (neither Joe Clark nor Brian Mulroney were strangers to tax and spending increases), but he still made $8 billion in election promises. It took the Liberals to cut spending on the way to eliminating the deficit, and subsequently cutting taxes.

The only whining from the right that comes to mind is their regular accusation that the media gives the Liberals preferential treatment, but they couldn't say that this election either since most major outlets endorsed the Conservatives.

The only whining from the right that comes to mind is their regular accusation that the media gives the Liberals preferential treatment, but they couldn't say that this election either since most major outlets endorsed the Conservatives.

I could be accused of this...lol.

I also think it's important to note that while the editorial boards of the Globe and National supported the conservatives that is very different then actual media coverage. I still see a lot of bias in articles that are slanted to the Liberals. I wish that journalists would stick to facts and keep the opinion down in their articles...let people draw their own conclusions without being led by the nose. Critical reading skills are at a minimum so I do believe people are unfairly influenced by this type of thing.

I think the Toronto Star is a big reason why the Liberals have always locked down Toronto...and they are as biased as the Sun is to the Conservatives. The difference is that the Star is actually a more respected paper from a journalistic standpoint while most see the Sun as a step above a tabloid.

If you look at the provinical breakdown it's interesting to note that without Toronto the Liberals would have a very similar number of seats as the NDP. That is a very sobering thought for their party right now. This election was a comedy of errors by all parties. LOL