Oilers solve goalie dilemma...sort of

dlbalr

Today, the Oilers moved Mathieu Garon to the Pens, but wound up taking a goalie back in return in Dany Sabourin. Oilers also receive AHL'er Ryan Stone and a 2011 4th round pick.

Instead of solving their goaltending issues, they just added to them, as Sabourin's outplayed Garon so far this year. An interesting move to say the least.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=263571&amp...s=topStory_main

Good for the Pens. Now with Fleury and Garon.

Just give Sabourin, Stone and a 4th.

I saw that and was going to post it but you beat me to it, and ecklund and tsn and etc etc. :lol: Garon is certainly making his way around the league but this looks like a real good move for the pens in my opinnion, I am not a fan of fleury and maybe Garon can push him a little and steal a couple of wins for them, just not against the haps ^_^ .

Weird move for the Oilers, Garon played very well last night, and I don't see why this package was enough to persuade them to make the downgrade in goal.

Good move for the Oils. Weird one for the Pens. Don't they need more scoring?

Matt Cooke playing with Malkin might wok short-term but it's not exactly a reliable option.

Edited by Tony

Weird move for the Oilers, Garon played very well last night, and I don't see why this package was enough to persuade them to make the downgrade in goal.

they needed to let a goalie go. Roloson was playing better than Garon and Drouin-deslauriers is the younger guy. Garon was the logical odd man out. he'll have more starts in Pittsburgh than with edmonton.

Good move for the Oils. Weird one for the Pens. Don't they need more scoring?

Matt Cooke playing with Malkin might wok short-term but it's not exactly a reliable option.

Cooke was put on a line with both Crosby and Malkin, because he has some grit and will stand up for Crosby. Crosby takes a lot of physical abuse.

they needed to let a goalie go. Roloson was playing better than Garon and Drouin-deslauriers is the younger guy. Garon was the logical odd man out. he'll have more starts in Pittsburgh than with edmonton.

The whole point of Edmonton trading a goalie was to make room for JDD - but by acquiring Sabourin, who we all agree is a downgrade despite the numbers, JDD doesn't get to play...but hey, they've added other assets (Tambellini's wording) in a career AHL'er and a 4th rounder 3 years from now.

The whole point of Edmonton trading a goalie was to make room for JDD - but by acquiring Sabourin, who we all agree is a downgrade despite the numbers, JDD doesn't get to play...but hey, they've added other assets (Tambellini's wording) in a career AHL'er and a 4th rounder 3 years from now.

Sabourin should be waived soon.

Sabourin should be waived soon.

And if he clears, they'll wind up with an AHL'er and future 4th for a pretty good goalie, not the greatest of asset management. Tambellini's doing cartwheels since Dubie was claimed off entry waivers by Columbus, now there's actually a team who could use him.

Ryan Stone still has a lot of upside, I wouldn't call him an AHLer yet. Most Pittsburgh fans are pretty pissed they let go of him.

I've always liked him too, but he was drafted back in 03 and has just 8 NHL GP. He'll be eligible for regular and recall waivers next year; if the Pens still like him then, they'll get him back cheap.