Rivet etc.

loudi94

With his playing in the WC this year I think he'll take his game to a new level. He has an idea what it takes to win now and hopefully he can take that back to the team. Add Gainey and a few of the boys from the farm and this team suddenly knows what it takes to win. Actually being able to pull it off.... that is another matter.

Me too I'm confident with Craig Rivet. I think we expected to much from him. We have to recognize he is an important part of our defense now and he takes a leadership role. I hope too that his experience with team Canada will boost him to an higher level.

Originally posted by sakiqc

Me too I'm confident with Craig Rivet. I think we expected to much from him. We have to recognize he is an important part of our defense now and he takes a leadership role. I hope too that his experience with team Canada will boost him to an higher level.

Another problem with Rivet is that he expects to much of himself , or tries to do "to much". The guy thinks he is Bobby Orr on some nights , but doesnt have the talent to go with it. He is the 2nd best offensive D on the habs behind Markov (not including Brisebois) , but ideally he should be the #3-4 guy.

If Rivet can realize/understand his role (which ideally, is a #3/4 d-man), I feel he can be effective. It will be interesting to see how he plays this season, the year after his "contract year", will he put up roughly 25 points again, or will his offence go south like 2 years ago? I think he'll be okay, but only time will tell.

Really, I could not care less if Rivet gets 5, 10, or 25 points. He's supposed to be a sound, reliable, and physical presence on the ice. He seems to want to assume a leadership role as well, and that would be great.

If he can contribute offensively once in a while, then great, but I wont hold him against him if he doesn't. But I do hold against him the fact that he's been unreliable defensively this year, and isn't much of a physical presence.

Rivet can bring a lot to this team if he's focused, and ready to take a few bumps once in a while.

The way I figure, our top 3 dmen will be Komi, Hainsey, and Markov (in which order, who knows... every one of them could become number 1 or 3... we are lucky in that way). Then I hope to see Rivet as #4. After that, it beats me. Could be one or two of Souray, Korneev, Beauchemin, Archer, Bouillon, and/or Shasby. Could be a coming draft pick. Could be guys acquired via trades...

Point is, stop talking about Rivet's points production going up or down. It's not his job to score, as we have plenty of guys with greater offensive capabilities. It's like Hatcher in Dallas. He can produce, but what he truly brings to the team is very reliable, physical play, and leadership (BTW, I am not comparing Rivet to Hatcher)

I'm happy with Rivet's performance at the WJC, but you have to remember a few things:

a.) Competition wasn't NHL level

b.) He had no expectations. On MTL, he'll be top 3 D

c.) The goalie was strong, and the forwards backchecked better.

I want Rivet to be incredible too. But I'm worried he'll be like Jose when he won the Vezina: Next season he's back, he sucks.

All i'm saying is "don't get your hopes up". he was never incredible, and if he ever gets back to his rookie ways, i'll be happy. surpass that, and i'll buy season tickets myself (btw, i can't buy season tickets, so there's my vote of confidence).

Anyway, I think the way for him to get back to incredibleness is to lay out someone like Stevens or Worrell or Pronger. Just a complete and utter annihalation (they player will come back in a week or so). That will get his confidence up, and he'll play like he is capable of playing.

Meanwhile, Traverse will bring fresh towlettes in between periods. :/) :D

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

I'm happy with Rivet's performance at the WJC, but you have to remember a few things:

Ya, Sundin, Forsberg, Tarnstrom, Zetterberg, Renberg, and Axelsson etc. could never play in the NHL :?-

My high hopes for Rivet would be for him to be a solid d-man that makes few mistakes and plays hard in front of the net and along the boards. Not unreasonable and certainly within his capabilities. Boullion does it and he's 4 feet tall.

mmmkey... I like the person before me want to say that the competition was nhl lvl... BUT it was on big ice with european rules as well... its a different game...