Bob Gainey is an Idiot

hab29RETIRED

I agree you can't sign all of your assets. But the point is that is inexcusable to lose as many as the habs did without a return. You can't lose your entire first line (Kovy-Koivu-Tanguay) and your #2 defencemen and not get ANYTHiNG in return. That is just plain awful asset management. Losing 10 UFA's without a return is absolute stupidity!!!

Stupidity would have been to trade all of our asses... I mean assets or however its spelled at the deadline when fighting for a playoff spot. Gainey decided that the other UFA's around were better options than the ones we had and signed them instead. How many "Gainey is an idiot" threads dont u think there would be if he traded Kovalev, Tanguay, Komisarek and Koivu and the deadling and dropped down the sharts even more and missed the playoffs?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupidity would have been to trade all of our asses... I mean assets or however its spelled at the deadline when fighting for a playoff spot. Gainey decided that the other UFA's around were better options than the ones we had and signed them instead. How many "Gainey is an idiot" threads dont u think there would be if he traded Kovalev, Tanguay, Komisarek and Koivu and the deadling and dropped down the sharts even more and missed the playoffs?

and then been stuck with a bunch of "assets" and no cap space. THEN he would be an idiot right he just smells like foot :lol:

and then been stuck with a bunch of "assets" and no cap space. THEN he would be an idiot right he just smells like foot :lol:

Ive actually never been close enough to him to actually have an opinion about the footsmell. :D

I agree you can't sign all of your assets. But the point is that is inexcusable to lose as many as the habs did without a return. You can't lose your entire first line (Kovy-Koivu-Tanguay) and your #2 defencemen and not get ANYTHiNG in return. That is just plain awful asset management. Losing 10 UFA's without a return is absolute stupidity!!!

Have you thought aboot the reverse effect of this though?

i.e. If you trade away all of your soon to be UFAs every year do you really think that would impress potential UFAs and encourage them to sign with Montreal? to only be shipped out of town when their contracts are nearing an end when they too are soon to be UFAs?

If Bob had traded Souray, Striet, Kovy, etc do you think Cammy, Gionty, Spacey, Gill etc would have signed here? Probably not because they would be thinking "gee, do I really want to risk uprooting my family when the Habs ship me somewhere else in which I have no control over in the final year of my contract".

Also hindsight is a funny thing. If Bob had actually traded the soon to be UFAs that most people argue should have been shipped most of them would now be bitching that the Habs would have won the cup if only Bob hadnt traded away Souray, Striet, etc. However we all know that with them the Habs didnt win the Cup but if they were traded that would for sure be the reason why they didnt win.

Have you thought aboot the reverse effect of this though?

i.e. If you trade away all of your soon to be UFAs every year do you really think that would impress potential UFAs and encourage them to sign with Montreal? to only be shipped out of town when their contracts are nearing an end when they too are soon to be UFAs?

If Bob had traded Souray, Striet, Kovy, etc do you think Cammy, Gionty, Spacey, Gill etc would have signed here? Probably not because they would be thinking "gee, do I really want to risk uprooting my family when the Habs ship me somewhere else in which I have no control over in the final year of my contract".

Also hindsight is a funny thing. If Bob had actually traded the soon to be UFAs that most people argue should have been shipped most of them would now be bitching that the Habs would have won the cup if only Bob hadnt traded away Souray, Striet, etc. However we all know that with them the Habs didnt win the Cup but if they were traded that would for sure be the reason why they didnt win.

yes this is very true. He would be an idiot fro trading them and an idiot if he doesn't

yes this is very true. He would be an idiot fro trading them and an idiot if he doesn't

And he'd still smell like foot.