Kovalchuk: Gainey was close according to Dreger and Marinaro

rafikz

And the beat goes on. Gomez is with us for the duration of his contract. Chances of someone taking him are next to zero.

that's what most people would have said about Blake, Giguere and Kotalik and even Gomez's last year. There will always be some GM dumb enough to take on a dumb contract.

that's what most people would have said about Blake, Giguere and Kotalik and even Gomez's last year. There will always be some GM dumb enough to take on a dumb contract.

For those of you who are concerned about how Gomez's contract is unmovable, it will pick up some value over time. I wrote about this a few months ago, it's not quite as bad as it seems.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1923 (Scroll to the bottom)

For those of you who are concerned about how Gomez's contract is unmovable, it will pick up some value over time. I wrote about this a few months ago, it's not quite as bad as it seems.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1923 (Scroll to the bottom)

Wow, that is facinating. Even more incentive for Tampa to part with Vinnie. I know, not likely.

what i like about this is bob was making a big trade and no news came out till after the trade...that just tell everyone bob is at work and that because we dont get news of things like trade and signings dont mean his not doing his job...

what i like about this is bob was making a big trade and no news came out till after the trade...that just tell everyone bob is at work and that because we dont get news of things like trade and signings dont mean his not doing his job...

Lou Lamoriello and Bob Gainey or both notorious for this (except for the Brian LAwton loudmouth incident, but BG at least told him to STFU afterward), not allowing any information to leak when they are involved in potential deals. Look at the Kovalchuk deal: no one had nay idea who the devils would trade to get Kovalchuk, there were only whispers that NJ may be invloved. Lou and Bob are both quiet that way. It definitely does not make them bad GMs.

This situation tells me that my fears were spot-on. Gainey is willing to part with youth to add to this year's team. So long as we're in the top 8 in the East, we're going to be buyers. :puke:

This situation tells me that my fears were spot-on. Gainey is willing to part with youth to add to this year's team. So long as we're in the top 8 in the East, we're going to be buyers. :puke:

it depends on what we give up right now we have players we dont need or what..

these are guys we can move(at least i think)

Paul Mara

Sergei Kostitsyn

Georges Laraque

Roman Hamrlik(to free up cash and make room for a young d-man)

Tomas Plekanec(if we cant sign him)

Glen Metropolit

Jaroslav Halak or Carey Price(which i dont know if i would do unless it was a dael we couldnt pass on)

Marc-Andre Bergeron

i sure there more we could move to make different deals but this is not alot of youth if we move any of these guys and had to add one young guy of a pick to make a good trade..

I know what you mean, but in this specific case, Kovalchuk is 26. That's youth. If you have reason to believe you can sign him and think you can manage the cap implications, then moving picks or prospects should not be a concern. You can get another decade of epic performance from this guy...at least. So I wouldn't panic just yet. The Whintey/Kariya rumours were FAR more disconcerting in my book.

it depends on what we give up right now we have players we dont need or what..

these are guys we can move(at least i think)

Paul Mara

Sergei Kostitsyn

Georges Laraque

Roman Hamrlik(to free up cash and make room for a young d-man)

Tomas Plekanec(if we cant sign him)

Glen Metropolit

Jaroslav Halak or Carey Price(which i dont know if i would do unless it was a dael we couldnt pass on)

Marc-Andre Bergeron

i sure there more we could move to make different deals but this is not alot of youth if we move any of these guys and had to add one young guy of a pick to make a good trade..

If we're in the playoff picture, I could only see Gainey moving Kostitsyn and Price. I can't see Gainey trading Halak this season, only Price (not that I support this). Some fans believe in retooling at the deadline and getting a higher pick - managers don't. Unless we drop to 10th in the East by the deadline, I'm expecting something horrible.

I know what you mean, but in this specific case, Kovalchuk is 26. That's youth. If you have reason to believe you can sign him and think you can manage the cap implications, then moving picks or prospects should not be a concern. You can get another decade of epic performance from this guy...at least. So I wouldn't panic just yet. The Whintey/Kariya rumours were FAR more disconcerting in my book.

It wouldn't matter if he were 18, he's still a rental. How could we reasonably expect to re-sign him? (Granted that we would have had to trade one of Gomez/Hamrlik in the trade to make the deal work.) I wouldn't be surprised if Gainey had offered something like Hamrlik and Price.

If we're in the playoff picture, I could only see Gainey moving Kostitsyn and Price. I can't see Gainey trading Halak this season, only Price (not that I support this). Some fans believe in retooling at the deadline and getting a higher pick - managers don't. Unless we drop to 10th in the East by the deadline, I'm expecting something horrible.

It wouldn't matter if he were 18, he's still a rental. How could we reasonably expect to re-sign him? (Granted that we would have had to trade one of Gomez/Hamrlik in the trade to make the deal work.) I wouldn't be surprised if Gainey had offered something like Hamrlik and Price.

well if we are moving players for picks, yes...but if we make trades to make the team better now then that would effect the playoff race ex price or halak for sharpe..

i dont like rented players unless your a top 5 team..the coast is to big..

Edited by KEEP26

Lou Lamoriello and Bob Gainey or both notorious for this (except for the Brian LAwton loudmouth incident, but BG at least told him to STFU afterward), not allowing any information to leak when they are involved in potential deals. Look at the Kovalchuk deal: no one had nay idea who the devils would trade to get Kovalchuk, there were only whispers that NJ may be invloved. Lou and Bob are both quiet that way. It definitely does not make them bad GMs.

Most of the deals have been pretty quiet until they have been announced. I expect the league saw what happened in TB last year and are making sure the leaks are minimal. Unfortunely the Habs had to be the example of when there is a glitch and the information is leaked. You just lose value.