JMartin's system just terrible

MFT77

I disagree about Martin rewarding players, the young guns seem to have such a short leash..they could have a monster game, make one mistake and bam! Stapled to the bench for the rest of the game.

I disagree about Martin rewarding players, the young guns seem to have such a short leash..they could have a monster game, make one mistake and bam! Stapled to the bench for the rest of the game.

Yes, I agree Martin seems to have little patience for the kids if they make one mistake. Thats his way of teaching, the NHL is a tough league, +/- is critical. Pouliot is in my books a good player no doubt., but he has earned his way on to the top line with Gio and Gomy; now when he makes mistakes its not an immediate demotion but it could happen to any top end player if they have a major slump.

All I'm saying is that its better than before, and its a chemistry experiment that has shown signs of working. If we get hot at the right moment, with the right tough love and a bit of Les Canadiens luck and passion we could make an interesting run in the playoffs. I like where we are and what we could do this season.

GO HABS GO!

Yes, I agree Martin seems to have little patience for the kids if they make one mistake. Thats his way of teaching, the NHL is a tough league, +/- is critical. Pouliot is in my books a good player no doubt., but he has earned his way on to the top line with Gio and Gomy; now when he makes mistakes its not an immediate demotion but it could happen to any top end player if they have a major slump.

All I'm saying is that its better than before, and its a chemistry experiment that has shown signs of working. If we get hot at the right moment, with the right tough love and a bit of Les Canadiens luck and passion we could make an interesting run in the playoffs. I like where we are and what we could do this season.

GO HABS GO!

I just get frustrated by this archaic school of thought, young players are SUPPOSED to make mistakes, it's the the vets who need a reminder that their spot isn't guaranteed.

I just get frustrated by this archaic school of thought, young players are SUPPOSED to make mistakes, it's the the vets who need a reminder that their spot isn't guaranteed.

lol their a reason for that vet as been around long enough to know when they miss up and not to do it again because if they did they would be vet or still be in the nhl, with the kids they got learn from there mistakes and learn the lesson so they can stay in the nhl and become vet ..its the circle of life....its alot easyer to get to the nhl then to stay in the nhl..

Patience with young players is one thing; rewarding performance is another. It may be that Martin errs on the side of the latter. The point is that with JM you'd better a) listen to the coach and b) bring your work boots.

This approach *can* be costly. For instance, Latendresse was given a few games in the top-6. When he consistently declined to do what he was told - go to the net - that was the end of him. Luckily, we were able to bag Pouliot in return (and the contrast is revealing; Pouliot is doing *exactly* what was asked of him, and has been rewarded the plum position of being Gomez's winger, the best possible outcome for him). Sergei Kostitsyn showed up out of shape and lackadaisical, still thinking it was Country Club Carbo. He was sent to the minors. We may lose him as a result. Andrei Kostitsyn was also demoted to the fourth line before he finally picked it up - for a while there there was talk of shipping both these Belarussian Babies out.

The net effect is a certain impatience with players who aren't fully motivated. BUT the Pouliot example shows clearly that a young player who is willing simply to act like a professional and to deliver the goods with some consistency can flourish under JM. I rate that better than the Carbo system of arbitrarily giving Kovalev endless ice time, arbitrarily punishing Samsonov for playing good games, and arbitrarily denying Perezhogin any quality time in the top-6 (for instance).

Now if only we could play team defence...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Hahaha. You must be gen Y. Everyone Gen X and and older understand. Gen Y wants everything, and the want it now. Old guys are getting in their way.

Haha you misunderstanding me BCHabnut, the times are changing, vets have to keep their spots now, especially in a salary cap era, too many people have lauded habs in the past for giving vets too much rope. I just don't like this stance of youngins vs. vets.