Preseason GDT: Habs/Isles

dlbalr

uhmm

question

theres two NYI hockey games going on tonight? so weird lol

Yep, it's a split squad for NYI tonight - the good team is playing NJ, we got the leftovers.

The comeback is on (or not), Joensuu makes it 7-2.

What did nino do to get Cammy so mad? I saw the result, but i didnt see what preceded it. Cammy may start the season with a 2 or 3 game suspension.

No one really saw what preceded it; for all we know, it could've been something that happened earlier in the period when the cameras weren't on him. It's not like Cammalleri to do that for no reason so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was provoked. Still doesn't justify it though.

HW 3 Stars (figured I'd write a column while I was updating the thread): http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2213

Back from the game. As expected, the Islanders were an easy prey.

Anyhow, I liked what I have seen from Pouliot and Eller. The young man showed his skills after Pouliot's goal. On his next shift, he was very good and finally scored his own goal. Quite impressive.

Price had a good outing, even though he did not have much work. The two goals were good ones IMO.

Now, enough of pre-season games. Let's begin the season.

Plekanec scores, 5-1! And now it gets ugly...Yablonski goes after Spacek, Spacek (wisely) drops to the ice immediately. Hisey wanted to go with Eller (I know Hisey, he's not a fighter), White got into it with someone, the 2 of them were yapping at each other in the box. Habs with a 5 on 3 as a result.

Yablonski 2, 5, and 10, that's good news.

Koskinen in net now by the way.

That Yablonski weighs 239 pds on 5'11''. Massive!

No one really saw what preceded it; for all we know, it could've been something that happened earlier in the period when the cameras weren't on him. It's not like Cammalleri to do that for no reason so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was provoked. Still doesn't justify it though.

HW 3 Stars (figured I'd write a column while I was updating the thread): http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2213

Cam has a short fuse. He can be mean when provoked. I remember the cross-check to Havlat, two years ago during the playoffs. Mean.

The Isles vets who were in the lineup all made some kind of impression last night. Early this morning, they announced Dean McAmmond, Jed Ortmeyer, Anders Eriksson, Manny Legace and Krys Kolanos were released from tryouts...all played last night. Ouch.

I hope that Islander kid gets 3 games for his blindside head hit on Cammy. We are lucky that the news this morning is all about his retaliation and not that Cammy is out indefinatly with a head injury. If the league fails here and suspends Cammy instead of the kid what message will that send regarding their new agenda on blindside head shots. 5 games for the kid is my call!

Great game against a team the 'dogs could have easily handled!

Oh, and no, this doesn't make the return of the Nords any closer than exibition games in Halifax have made it likely that the NHL will ever put a team here. It is too small of a city with no NHL size building. The league is very happy to be out of that small market where there is little to no advertising money to generate! Dream or Nodicks fans, it won't happen!

The Isles vets who were in the lineup all made some kind of impression last night. Early this morning, they announced Dean McAmmond, Jed Ortmeyer, Anders Eriksson, Manny Legace and Krys Kolanos were released from tryouts...all played last night. Ouch.

Ouch is right. And think about it...you've just been told you can't make the ISLANDERS. Time to start re-thinking your career options, because it doesn't look like Chicago will be calling any time soon.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The reason the Islanders had all those guys on tryouts was because they did this bizarre split squad pre-season. These guys got to play in the pre-season, get their name out there (not just with the Isles, being seen working out and playing games is good for getting a deal league wide), and get a chance. That they didn't make it isn't inherently surprising... the Isles were looking for enough players to play these preseason schedules where they had 2 games on the same night.