GDT: Edmonton vs Montreal, Feb. 17

bar

It was a bad play by PK.

How much speed do the Oilers carry through the neutral zone if there are 4 white jerseys and 3 rushing Oilers?

That play would have resulted in a dump in or a turn over at the point, not a 3 on 3 with two forwards playing defense.

That is where the play broke down, all the rest is a result of the initial breakdown.

I have no problem with Moen or AK on the play because they did their best and were exposed as forwards playing defense.

PK made an unnecessary pinch that started the play and Price missed a stoppable shot.

Ah. I thought you were kinda blaming AK for being "beat" by Eberle while he never ever been in a position to stop him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of worrying about one goal, focus on the fact that the habs scored 1 goal against the worst team in the league. All the Oilers needed to do was score 2 and it was gmae over.

The effort was piss poor at best.

So one play on who's fault it was is kind of irrelavant. They made mitakes all night and Price kept them in it.

I agree that last night's first and third periods were weak, but more broadly speaking offence starts from the back end. This is why I am sh*tting bricks over the possible loss of The Wiz. Hamrlik and PK are not really enough to generate sustained momentum from the back end, at least not against good teams. Not that Wiz is a superstar, but given the absence of Markov and our other injuries he is now a guy we cannot afford to lose for any extended stretch.

I agree that last night's first and third periods were weak, but more broadly speaking offence starts from the back end. This is why I am sh*tting bricks over the possible loss of The Wiz. Hamrlik and PK are not really enough to generate sustained momentum from the back end, at least not against good teams. Not that Wiz is a superstar, but given the absence of Markov and our other injuries he is now a guy we cannot afford to lose for any extended stretch.

I find that injuries rarely have the catastrophic effect they're expected to have. Montreal will surely have struggles with 5 of their best 6 d-men injured (not to mention their top sniper) but I think they'll be able to at least hold the fort and take a low playoff spot. You'd be surprised how huge a difference playing a disciplined, structured game makes (see: last playoffs).

I find that injuries rarely have the catastrophic effect they're expected to have. Montreal will surely have struggles with 5 of their best 6 d-men injured (not to mention their top sniper) but I think they'll be able to at least hold the fort and take a low playoff spot. You'd be surprised how huge a difference playing a disciplined, structured game makes (see: last playoffs).

I agree that structure is key, but I also think there's a talent threshold beyond which it hardly matters what you do. Look at Florida under Jacques Martin, the definition of a 'structured' team that still sucked for simple lack of talent. Ditto Columbus under Hitchcock, or the Habs under Vigneault. We're winless in 5 of our last 6. Now this is partly because the structure hasn't been as strong as it should be - certainly the team needs to hunker down and play airtight disciplined hockey - but it's mostly because we have too many holes in the lineup. Your dictum applies to one or two key injuries, I'd say; not to half your roster.