Trade deadline

HabsWEST

Im sure your remarks on Penner are true, having seen him play that many times

Nonetheless, what we need above all is someone in front of the net that cannot be moved and blocks the view of the goalie...

Also I've heard Penner just married a Montreal girl, She is Richard Zednik's ex-wife

But if its size we need up front... bring up Alex Henry... I'm tired of saying it but its true

Im reading his name everyhwere I go... Hhy go after Mara when we have Henry, if we cant get a big body up front get Henry... Im reading it everyhwere I go... if PG doesnt get anyone at tradedeadline I would Play him as fourth liner who can help on D if needed... Ive written this before... Its the natural evolution of the fourth line... you need the 7th D that can fight clear net and block the front of the net if they do get up in the offensive side

Agreed.. we do need size upfront. Was hoping for a James Neal or Chris Stewart, or regardless of Size, a player for minimal trade or waiver pickup like today such as Boyton or Sturm. makes us all wonder if Gauthier is on the ball or simply is still thinking of the old NHL pre lock out era, that these type of trades were being done.

In post lockout era, salary cap, and managing your assets present and future, while keeping an eye out for teams near the cap, and grab assets for nothing.

By the way here is one of number of Dustin Penner Fan sites ;)

http://www.talk-sports.net/nhl/sucks.aspx/Dustin_Penner

Thats how much us up here think of Penner in Edmonton. Lets hope he stays here in Edmonton, or Doesnt go to Montreal!

Edited by HabsWEST

Habs RECORD since DECEMBER 1 2010:

17 wins 21 losses

of the 38 games: 10 went to extra time/SO: add record is 4 wins 6 losses, of the above.

Injuries have taken their toll.

What trades and what has to be given up by tradeline to " correct the ship" and at what expense?

I definitly dont want to see PG, give up assets for short term solutions, and loss sight of the long term, and at same time FINALLY have someone properly manage assets that will soon " expire "

PHEW!!! PENNER GOES TO LA, ohew, I can breathe easier, now that he wont be wearing a Habs jersey..

great trade for the OILERS!!

dodge a bullet with Penner, would have been lucic's personal punching bag, the forward version of hal gill, big and soft!

You got that right, for someone his size , and all the Oilers games I have been to , he doesnt hit much...Case in point for what its worth:

Penner 63 hits Year to date.

AK46 113 hits year to date...

Enough about Penner..

Is PG still trying to do a last minute trade....my guess is No, unless its a minor deal, or a last minute AK46 to Nashville deal...

As I started this thread, the " Best trades are the ones you dont make..." Cheers everyone...

Edited by HabsWEST

The media/ and us fans overestimate the idea of building a team to "win the Cup". Playing even only 2, 4 or 6 home playoff games is very lucrative for teams. NHL is a business. If adding a 4M player gives you 4 extra home games, it's well worthing it.

The media/ and us fans overestimate the idea of building a team to "win the Cup". Playing even only 2, 4 or 6 home playoff games is very lucrative for teams. NHL is a business. If adding a 4M player gives you 4 extra home games, it's well worthing it.

AGREED!

There is also the number of playoff games for one season, and TOTAL number of playoff games over the near future and next few years. I would not trade 4 playoff games for current season in exchange for future 10 plus games over next few years.

Once a team builds a base through the draft, and shrewd trades ( Love the James Neal Trade to pittsburgh, and the Chris Stewart trade to St Louis to a lesser extent), and salary cap and asset management, exactly where the habs are at the moment. lets not make that mistake again...

Well, given all the injuries, and without forgoing near future success, I am overall satified that PG didnt panic and made trades he would regret later...

Edited by HabsWEST

Well, given all the injuries, and without forgoing near future success, I am overall satified that PG didnt panic and made trades he would regret later...

Exactly. The Habs did not need to mortgage their future. Sure I would of loved to see the Habs make a move for a top 6 forward today. But in reality would that player that we got really be able to change things around and make us a Stanley cup contending team? Probably not. Say we would of got Penner, do you think he would of made that great of difference. By the looks of it, we would of had to give up alot of our future to get him. We would of had to give up a 1st round pick and a player like Tinordi (which was a false statement from a twitter account today). It just wouldn't have been worth it. I mean we basically have the same team that we had last year, so why not take another run at it with what we got, it almost worked last year. We are handcuffed by veterans not producing as well as they should who are making too much money. Until we get rid of some of those bad contracts it will be hard to land a top six forward.