2011-12 General Bulldogs Discussion Thread

dlbalr

I'd be stunned if anyone's challenging Lawson this season for the starting role. Lawson has been really good in the AHL in his career, but awful in the NHL. I think he'll be seeing 60 games as a starter. As for DeSimone, he has done enough for now at least. Lefebvre should be the first one sent down (though if you read anything into the opening night lineup it could be Nattinen).

I am aware of how good Lawson can play. I will remind you of your comments last year concerning Delmas when he started in Wichita and when he finished up leading Wheeling in the playoffs. He surpassed your expectations by a long shot. Just call it a HUNCH.

Reading some old comments here, I actually saw that Patrick Johnson was at Chicago's training camp this year on a tryout. Him being in Wheeling has nothing to do with the Canadiens or the Penguins. He's just looking to catch on somewhere.

Reading some old comments here, I actually saw that Patrick Johnson was at Chicago's training camp this year on a tryout. Him being in Wheeling has nothing to do with the Canadiens or the Penguins. He's just looking to catch on somewhere.

Same as Winnett. Nobody said they had signed for either organization.

The bad news? Stejskal's out 4-6 weeks.

The good news? Leblanc is expected to play next Thursday, that should help for sure.

We are getting thin on defense again. I would like to hear your comments on the availability of Rivet. I don't see any negatives in signing him in Hamilton.

We are getting thin on defense again. I would like to hear your comments on the availability of Rivet. I don't see any negatives in signing him in Hamilton.

If he wants to take a minor league deal and is healthy, sure. The fact that he only got an ECHL deal suggests he probably isn't in game shape though and Hamilton needs help now.

It'd be great to re-patriate Rivet. Guy has fallen on hard times and if he can't make it back to the big show with us, he could always become a kind of coach-player.

Exactly. He was captain of the Sabres last year. I never heard anything about him retiring, so I expect he was in pretty good shape waiting for a contract. Surely to God we at least make the phone call. Dlbair you do know that he has signed with Elmira?

Exactly. He was captain of the Sabres last year. I never heard anything about him retiring, so I expect he was in pretty good shape waiting for a contract. Surely to God we at least make the phone call. Dlbair you do know that he has signed with Elmira?

To be honest, I assumed he signed there because he lived nearby and wants to stay in shape and play. Hamilton isn't very far away, heck it's closer to Buffalo than Elmira is. He's probably just waiting out, hoping someone will sign him with a ton of defensive injuries... a team not unlike the Canadiens, to be honest.

He is officially under contract, though I'm not sure if it's a 1 year deal or PTO.

He is officially under contract, though I'm not sure if it's a 1 year deal or PTO.

Usually there is an out clause if you get an offer from a higher league. Even if he had to pay the penalty for opting out he would be money ahead. I am assuming that this is the only stumbing block. I don't see it as an issue. Make the CALL.

Rivet signed a standard player contract for the season, but he doesn't seem much interested in going in the AHL for now.

Rivet doesn't have a master plan. He's already declined offers to play in the AHL. If he gets back into top shape and an NHL team wants him, he'll return. For now, he's concentrating on playing for the love of the game. Nobody should be surprised if he someday returns to the NHL as a coach.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/inside-the-nhl/article595692.ece

Edited by habsprospects

Rivet signed a standard player contract for the season, but he doesn't seem much interested in going in the AHL for now.

http://www.buffalone...ticle595692.ece

Fair enough. If those AHL offers are all over North America and not close to home that may be an issue. IF Hamilton hasn't made the call, I would make it. What can it hurt?

As much as losing Trotter hurts (though Palushaj should help offset that a bit), adding Garrett Stafford will be huge for Hamilton's defence. He's a legit top-pairing AHL D...with a bit of a murky history as it pertains to the Bulldogs.

Engqvist and Leblanc should also add some offence to the lineup this week.

Gasp, could it be?!? Actual...depth finally? Now if Fortier could ever get back, we could finally see what this young forward lineup is fully made of.

Gasp, could it be?!? Actual...depth finally? Now if Fortier could ever get back, we could finally see what this young forward lineup is fully made of.

Fortier will be back soon, Derek even said he might come back for next game like Leblanc.