2011-12 General Bulldogs Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Today's lines (don't have time to do the GDT right now), this is what the roster is shaping up as:

Geoffrion-Engqvist-Nattinen

DeSimone-Willsie-Schultz

Lefebvre-Berger-Avtsin

FitzGerald-Lampe-Slaney/Haddad

St-Denis-Stafford

Henry-Callahan

Mitera-Fast

Lawson

Stejskal is a surprising healthy scratch right now, why they keep trotting FitzGerald out there in front of him is beyond me. As for the Kostopoulos comparison, it didn't matter that he was an iffy fighter, he was a good enough skater and defensive player to justify playing a 4th line role. Schultz isn't there yet nor does he have the requisite fighting skills to make it as a 4th line pugilist either. He shouldn't be up after the deadline as a regular, he still needs a lot of work in the AHL. The good news is he is improving steadily which gives me a bit of hope for the future.

thanks for info. I have only seen Shultz play that 1 outdoor game and he was surprisingly OK, or almost best forward in a bad game for Bulldogs.

thanks for info. I have only seen Shultz play that 1 outdoor game and he was surprisingly OK, or almost best forward in a bad game for Bulldogs.

He has been one of their better forwards since that time, really. As the Bulldogs fall out of contention, I hope to see him get more top-6 minutes even when players return, give him more of a test down there.

Not really Hamilton related but former Bulldog Brock Trotter was just dealt to St. John's for goalie Peter Mannino and winger Kenndal McArdle. This is an AHL move prior to their trade deadline.

Not really Hamilton related but former Bulldog Brock Trotter was just dealt to St. John's for goalie Peter Mannino and winger Kenndal McArdle. This is an AHL move prior to their trade deadline.

From Hamilton to Portland to St. John's. Busy first year back from Europe for him.

I think they are considered loans too. Sort of how we loaned Greg Stewart to Chicago and got Mike Vernace in Hamilton for a little while acouple seasons ago. . I see Stewie, btw, is languishing in the ECHL

Yep, it's a loan. That was a good one for Hamilton, the Stewart-Vernace one. Hoping they find a way to pull one off before the Clear Day deadline.

Sadly the Dogs playoff chances are as toast as the Habs ones. Only difference is their is no benefit to tanking, so they might as well try.

Sadly the Dogs playoff chances are as toast as the Habs ones. Only difference is their is no benefit to tanking, so they might as well try.

I didn't necessarily mean as an improving loan. I'd love to see St-Denis sent off at the deadline to a playoff-bound team to give them some veteran depth and allow the Habs a bit more time to evaluate him for next year. Or one of the youngsters, try and get someone some playoff time.

The Clear Day roster (no real shockers here):

Nathan Lawson (G)

Robert Mayer (G)

Alexander Avtsin

Joe Callahan

Phil DeSimone

Gabriel Dumont

Andreas Engqvist

Zack FitzGerald

Olivier Fortier

Blake Geoffrion

Alex Henry

Louis Leblanc

Philippe Lefebvre

Dany Masse

Mark Mitera

Joonas Nattinen

Aaron Palushaj

Ian Schultz

Garrett Stafford

Frederic St-Denis

Joe Stejskal

Brian Willsie

Apparently Hamilton needed another goon defenceman. They've signed Trevor Hendrixx who has played in the Central league this year.

I totally remember that name. Looking up google he had an offensive spurt out of nowhere that shocked people. I think I remember him from an EHM game though :P

Could be, the name seems familiar to me now that you mention it. Speaking of EHM, do you know we have our own EHM league here?

A very fun active one infact!

No point in starting a GDT since the game is over but Hamilton lost 5-3 in Grand Rapids tonight. Bulldog goals from Dumont (2) and Nattinen. 7 D were dressed as Hendrixx made his Hamilton debut...and got in a fight 3 minutes in.

A little sad about Haddad (and no, I wasn't deliberately trying to rhyme there), he seemed to be doing alright as a 4th line guy. This is early evaluations for possible minor league deals next year, can't say I know anything about these guys though. They don't have the college pedigree that Zanette did last year (who, by the way, has played in the ECHL most of this season). They get the top 2 guys out of Merrimack, guess they're hoping for a little chemistry to carry over.

Dany Masse has rejoined the team and could be available to play tomorrow in San Antonio. I know he's nothing to get too excited about but a healthy and reasonably competent body is really good for the Bulldogs right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hamilton lost today (already done so no need for a GDT), 3-1 to Toronto. They are now done playoff wise. All 6 players sent down after last night's game suited up, the lineup didn't look half bad actually. Nattinen had the goal for the Bulldogs.

Some season-ending stats:

- FitzGerald won the PIM title by 1 PIM.

- DeSimone's -30 rating tied for last in the league and was last for a rookie...Alain Berger (-19) was second last for rookies while Phillipe Lefebvre (-18) was tied for third last...that's an awful trifecta.

- Mitera's -21 rating was last in the league for AHL d-men.

- Willsie finished 4th in the league in shots on goal.

- Palushaj, despite missing half the season, finished tied for third overall in insurance goals with 5.

- Engqvist finished tied for fifth overall in first goals of a game with 7.