2011-12 General Bulldogs Discussion Thread

dlbalr

That will probably seal DiSimone's fate. Joduin never helped his own cause. I would have liked to see Engqvist back, but apparently that isn't happening. I get that there probably will be major changes, I wonder if you have any sense about Nash, Conboy and Palushaj ?

The thing about De Simone is that he got pretty good minutes all season. Yeah the plus/minus sucked, but part of that was that he actually got to play.

Lefebvre and Berger's numbers are much worse because they were scratched or used on the fourth line so often. How do you get so low when you barely play?

That will probably seal DiSimone's fate. Joduin never helped his own cause. I would have liked to see Engqvist back, but apparently that isn't happening. I get that there probably will be major changes, I wonder if you have any sense about Nash, Conboy and Palushaj ?

I would assume Palushaj and Nash both resigned to 2 way contracts, but Palushaj may go in a trade?

Conboy must be on last legs with Habs and Shultz has probably taken his role?

I'd guess Nash gets (and takes) his one year QO. Palushaj did enough to get qualified as well, as did Engqvist. Remember the reports came when Gauthier was GM; unless Engqvist has already informed the club that he has no desire to return next year, he should be qualified to hold his rights. I suspect Conboy will get a 1 year pact, he was playing a bit better and you can't teach size, something Hamilton will be lacking next year. As for DeSimone, I said earlier I thought he had done enough to get an NHL two-way deal, I'm not so sure now. However, I'd have no objections to keeping him on a minor league pact.

I'd guess Nash gets (and takes) his one year QO. Palushaj did enough to get qualified as well, as did Engqvist. Remember the reports came when Gauthier was GM; unless Engqvist has already informed the club that he has no desire to return next year, he should be qualified to hold his rights. I suspect Conboy will get a 1 year pact, he was playing a bit better and you can't teach size, something Hamilton will be lacking next year. As for DeSimone, I said earlier I thought he had done enough to get an NHL two-way deal, I'm not so sure now. However, I'd have no objections to keeping him on a minor league pact.

I was wondering with all the young guys coming up what you think the line up will look like for next season? Will they be 2nd liners? Will Holland's offense, scored a ton as an overager in WHL, translate or will he be bottom six on Hamilton? Where will guys like TInordi and Beaulieu play? Just wondering!

I was wondering with all the young guys coming up what you think the line up will look like for next season? Will they be 2nd liners? Will Holland's offense, scored a ton as an overager in WHL, translate or will he be bottom six on Hamilton? Where will guys like TInordi and Beaulieu play? Just wondering!

Only if Holland plays on a line with Gallagher and Kristo (all 3 are wingers), would he put up super offensive #s. But if put with Nattenin and some other checker (Shultz) they could form a nice checking line?

But i would bet he is to become a 3rd line checker with Habs, becasue he can really skate and is super defensively (Tom Pyatt with bit better hands); but if he ever gets 20 goals in a year i would be pleasantly surprised (Pyatt did have almost 15 with Tampa this year i think).

Beaulieu is weak defensively, he gets away with it in junior but wont in pros, and will go exact same route as Subban (with almost same pros and cons) and will need at least 1 full year in AHL.

Given Tinordi's size, reach and OK skating he might be able to hold his own as an early call-up for Habs, especially if he comes into camp at 225lbs or heavier. But Pateryn, St Denis or Nash may also be in line for early call up if injuries crop up?

Just my guess how might play out.

Been watching a lot of basketball lately?

Been watching a lot of basketball lately?

Actually, very little this year. Hard to get excited for a team so openly tanking...although they win enough to screw themselves over. Point still stands though, there's not a lot of size in Hamilton, that will work to Conboy's benefit.

Can somone who has been following the Dogs please explain to me what is going on with Avtsin? I realy have (yes still) high hopes for this young man. I liked he was willing to be here and not over the sea in the KHL. Is there an outside chance he might still become a top 6 forward in the big show?

Avtsin.

Classic case of a kid who has all the tools, but zero toolbox.

He's got every skill you'd want in a hockey player but zero hockey sense, and often looks lazy and floats out there.

I could see him in the KHL next year... He's had 0 progression in his game.

It was a good gamble for a 4th round pick, but I highly doubt this kid makes it, and yes I know he's so young.

Actually, very little this year. Hard to get excited for a team so openly tanking...although they win enough to screw themselves over. Point still stands though, there's not a lot of size in Hamilton, that will work to Conboy's benefit.

I thought Quailer and Pribyl might have a chance to play which would help on that front. I have to believe with Tinordi coming that Henry is probably gone. Size is more of an issue on the big club as far as I am concerned.

I thought Quailer and Pribyl might have a chance to play which would help on that front. I have to believe with Tinordi coming that Henry is probably gone. Size is more of an issue on the big club as far as I am concerned.

I think Pribyl is under contract and will play in Europe 1 more year before coming over?

Havent heard any word whether Quailer may be signed or not? I think he must of completed his degree?

Habs do have till mid-Aug 2013 to sign him.

I think Pribyl is under contract and will play in Europe 1 more year before coming over?

Havent heard any word whether Quailer may be signed or not? I think he must of completed his degree?

Habs do have till mid-Aug 2013 to sign him.

Quailer was a red-shirt senior.

It was his fourth year of college, so he may be done his degree, but he is still eligible to play one more season as he's only played three years of sports.

His red-shirt year was when he was a sophomore and he tore his knee and didn't play a single game.

So if he takes some extra credit classes, he can play next year and we'd have til August 2013 to sign him.

If he drops out of school and declares an intention to go pro now, we have til June 1st to sign him.

If he drops out of school and declares an intention to go pro after June 1st, we'll have til August 2012 to sign him.

His signing date is fluid based on what he does with his schooling.

Avtsin.

He's got every skill you'd want in a hockey player but zero hockey sense, and often looks lazy and floats out there.

It was a good gamble for a 4th round pick, but I highly doubt this kid makes it, and yes I know he's so young.

It's disappointing to see how he's turned out but I'm still glad with the pick. Teams were pissed Montreal got him.

Avtsin.

:(

It's disappointing to see how he's turned out but I'm still glad with the pick. Teams were pissed Montreal got him.

I remember that too, kinda why I was asking. Also hoping he could have been another big winger next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people i no it is early but what kind of line up do you think the dogs will beable to put together for the 12/13 season? and how will be our starting goalie. I like to get a head start on the new players for the next season..

Hello people i no it is early but what kind of line up do you think the dogs will beable to put together for the 12/13 season? and how will be our starting goalie. I like to get a head start on the new players for the next season..

First off, I don't think we know the goalie for next year yet. I think it's safe to say that it won't be a tandem of Mayer-Delmas, there will be a veteran #3 signed that would be the first call up in case of injury to Price or Budaj.

On defence, I think we're likely to see (in no particular order) Tinordi, Ellis, St-Denis, Pateryn, Nash, insert veteran here, and Stejskal with one or two others on AHL deals plus Beaulieu if and when he signs.

Up front (again in no particular order): Gallagher, Holland, Dumont, Schultz, Nattinen, and Bournival I think are all locks to start the season. On the iffy side are Avtsin (could go back to Russia), Conboy, Engqvist, Fortier, Masse (may or may not be qualified), plus Berger/Lefebvre who I think ideally are in the ECHL to start next year. I'd also expect two veterans to be signed and at least that many on AHL deals. I don't think any of Palushaj, Leblanc, and Geoffrion can be counted on to start the year there...although I think at least one will find their way down at some point.

Long story short? Expect a lot of roster turnover yet again this offseason.

Any thoughts on the 3 ATOs at the end of the year,...will they get a shot or invite?????

All players on tryouts were released before the end of the season with the exception of Maxwell who was the emergency backup. I can't see any of them returning with the exception of Maxwell, I think they could offer him a minor league deal depending on how the goalie situation shakes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Given his struggles in Sweden this year, I thought there was a chance that the Habs might try to lure Kyle Klubertanz back to Hamilton but he instead has signed with IFK Helsingfors of the SM-Liiga. Montreal holds his rights through this offseason though.

• 3 weeks later...

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=634760

“They put me in a room at the hotel with Ian Schultz and I’ve been asking him a lot of questions about Hamilton and the lifestyle and what I would have to be prepared for if I make the transition,” he shared. “We’ve all been living away from home for a while now so that’s not too big of a deal but we’ll be living on our own now with our buddies and taking care of ourselves and paying bills and stuff like that which will be a little different. With that responsibility you have to stop acting like a kid and at the same time you have to keep that kid inside you so you’re still having fun playing the game.”

“You have guys like [Michael] Bournival, [Morgan] Ellis, [brendan] Gallagher, [Jarred] Tinordi and all these guys who could all be playing in Hamilton next year so we’re trying to make relationships now,” explained Holland. “You are kind of competing for a job with them but at the same time you want to see them succeed.”

“We’ll see what happens, but I would love to be on a line with a guy like Bournival or Gallagher next year,” he added with a grin. “If I just get them the puck, they’ll definitely get me some assists.”

• 1 month later...