Brock Trotter

bizmoDDO

it isn't about dollars per point, it's about "don't ever send another scout to Belarus". They will move him at/before the deadline

I don't know about that. I agree that Andrei is the type of secondary scorer playoff-bound teams are looking for at the deadline, but unless Montreal is out of the running (which I doubt/hope they aren't) I can see them losing him for nothing in the off-season.

it isn't about dollars per point, it's about "don't ever send another scout to Belarus". They will move him at/before the deadline

HAHAHAHA! He is an enigma.

Frankly, with the track record they have with drafting Belorussians, I'd like them to send more there. The Kostitsyn's and Grabovski, 3 drafted, 3 decent NHL'ers. Only one was a 1st rounder too, the others were much later in the draft. I'll take that from a scouting staff for sure.

yeah those 3 what great chemistry they had. what did we get for grabovsky?

John Bartlett is defending him hardcore on tsn.ca right now.

To which the first reply from go4habs was (and i almost died when i saw this)

go4habs

10 mins ago

Bartlett hs to be kidding. The only credit Kostitsyn should be given is in the form of an airline ticket out of Montreal. He is out of touch and an outcast with his team members. 99% of the time he is the laziest player on the ice. And like another AK the Habs wasted money on, this AK floats around doing absolutely nothing. Gauthier gaffed in re-signing this dud and some writer thinking he deserves a break and credit for doing part of the job he is collecting 3.25 million for; is nothing short of a farce.

yeah those 3 what great chemistry they had. what did we get for grabovsky?

John Bartlett is defending him hardcore on tsn.ca right now.

To which the first reply from go4habs was (and i almost died when i saw this)

go4habs

10 mins ago

Bartlett hs to be kidding. The only credit Kostitsyn should be given is in the form of an airline ticket out of Montreal. He is out of touch and an outcast with his team members. 99% of the time he is the laziest player on the ice. And like another AK the Habs wasted money on, this AK floats around doing absolutely nothing. Gauthier gaffed in re-signing this dud and some writer thinking he deserves a break and credit for doing part of the job he is collecting 3.25 million for; is nothing short of a farce.

kostitsyn is much better then you make him out to be... i think his style of skating has u believe he's coasting out there. i think his skating stride is not choppy its more of a glide... from what i've read this team has no outcasts... they shipped them all out!!

Hockey players are judged more then just by the points put on the board... if not there'd be just a handful of "good" players in the league...

AK has consistently been a hab leader in A) plus/minus b) hits and even on c) the score sheet...

not defending him! as a team who is consistently one of the lowest scoring NHL teams, i think everybody needs to look in the mirror at some point but i definitely don't think he's what you've made him out to be.. maybe being such a high draft pick has you believe he should have 40+ goals and 70-80pts (which would be awesome!!)... with that said, he has broke the 30 goal mark once and has settled into a consistent +20goal man.. his hot/cold streaks is what gets me agitated...

But moving forward, kosty is alright to me and if left on a line and not having to look over his shoulder constantly by martin's selective short leash he's gonna have a great year!

also, kovalev was iconic in montreal and outside of his enigmatic play... hab fans could appreciate the mass talent he possessed. his competitiveness has always been a question his whole career but his talent as stressed in our conference winning season shows it wasn't a waste after all... considering what we gave up from him it stands as 1 of the the very few deals the habs won hands down as he helped establish us again after a very rough patch post Patrick Roy!!!

Frankly, with the track record they have with drafting Belorussians, I'd like them to send more there. The Kostitsyn's and Grabovski, 3 drafted, 3 decent NHL'ers. Only one was a 1st rounder too, the others were much later in the draft. I'll take that from a scouting staff for sure.

amen to that.... the habs are probably the leader in belarussian scouting LOL.

-SK was a sh*t disturber and expected 1st line minutes without earning it! when sent down to the Hammer his play didn't even deserve the first call up that his diva attitude suggested! it was J. Martin or SK ....

-nobody and i mean nobody except maybe grabo's mom thought he'd be this good in TO... but he is....

-AK was clearly the logical choice after the bust up between the kosty's and grabo given the potential SK showed in his +40 game rookie season and AK's 20, 30, 20 goal seasons... just sayin

a wise man once said "if you wanna finish the race in first.... never look back at who's chasing u cause you'll just slow down!" that wise man...... ben johnson!

a wise man once said "if you wanna finish the race in first.... never look back at who's chasing u cause you'll just slow down!" that wise man...... ben johnson!

Good quote... but... maybe he shouldn't have stopped and taken them steroids... he could have really finished first :P

Well, I for one thought Grabs was a good player, and have not been at all surprised at his success in TO. That was a stupid trade - especially for a team in dire need of talent down the middle. It's time for Habs fans to come out of their denial on that one. We threw away a serviceably productive and exciting 2nd-line NHL centre for no other reason than that he was immature.

Andrei: a good #6 forward. His defenders overlook the 50 games or so a season where he goes around in an offensive stupor, his critics overlook his fairly consistent physical game and that he does produce pretty convincingly for the other 30 games.

Sergei: another perfectly adequate 2nd-line forward. Analogous to Grabovski in that, rather than patiently work with immature young players, the Habs unfortunately chose to throw them away. I regret the loss of Sergei less, because MaxPac is a clear upgrade. Nonetheless, the Habs' problem has not been in drafting these guys but in their willingness to dispose of assets that don't display the right old-school attitude. (Ribeiro, anyone?)

I don't miss Garb, Sergei or Ribeiro since that name came up either. Didn't like their attitude before or now and wouldn't want em, sure we could have got more back... but I am not going to complain.

I do like Andrei however.

Well, I for one thought Grabs was a good player, and have not been at all surprised at his success in TO. That was a stupid trade - especially for a team in dire need of talent down the middle. It's time for Habs fans to come out of their denial on that one. We threw away a serviceably productive and exciting 2nd-line NHL centre for no other reason than that he was immature.

We traded a guy who had shown little in the NHL at that point to acquire Robert Lang, a big, experienced offensive centre which filled a major need.

Lets remember how we looked at that 07-08 team and how much hope we had with the additions of Tanguay and Lang over Ryder and Grabovski.

Lang was also excellent for us, and was our team's leading scorer on the day he got hurt (into February) more than half way through the season.

It was also after that Lang injury that the whole team which was good through January completely fell apart.

I wouldn't say we got nothing for it.... it was a deal of an unproven guy with potential to a rebuilding team... in order to acquire the guy we really needed (Lang).

Andrei: a good #6 forward. His defenders overlook the 50 games or so a season where he goes around in an offensive stupor, his critics overlook his fairly consistent physical game and that he does produce pretty convincingly for the other 30 games.

His pay is actually cheap for what he provides. I think he's gonna get Cole money in the offseason, from someone if not us.

He's good value right now... he has his flaws, but for 3.25 million you really can't ask for much more than what you are getting.

I'd love to upgrade him some how, but isn't that true of every member of the team.... ho wouldn't we love to upgrade.

Sergei: another perfectly adequate 2nd-line forward. Analogous to Grabovski in that, rather than patiently work with immature young players, the Habs unfortunately chose to throw them away. I regret the loss of Sergei less, because MaxPac is a clear upgrade. Nonetheless, the Habs' problem has not been in drafting these guys but in their willingness to dispose of assets that don't display the right old-school attitude. (Ribeiro, anyone?)

I truly believe that the shock of being traded has something to do with helping fix the maturity issues of Sergei and Ribeiro. I don't know if they become the same players if they stay in Montreal and aren't forced to grow up.

The Grabovski trade was a mistake, that's all there is to it. The organization pays people to decide how a player is going to develop. Like the Cucumber says, he was already a good player. As for attitude? None of us really has a clue what they're talking about attitude wise. He was young, poor judgement is to be expected. The Leafs have themselves a good, young player that we could have had. To say otherwise is bizarre. Trades are harder and harder to "win" in this league. We lost that one.

The one difference between Grabovski and Kostitsyn (Sergei) is that the former literally walked out on the team late in the season for not playing (when he flew to the next road game himself to talk to the agent about what to do next). (Kostitsyn did that when he was assigned to Hamilton out of junior which wasn't much better though.) Doing that right before the season before he was waiver eligible ended his chances with the Habs - the players kept shut and didn't shun Grabovski when his agent advised him to stay with the team...until the end of the year. I'm all but certain several veterans went to management and said get rid of him, that they weren't going to put up with that stupidity. To this day, I remain stunned Toronto actually traded for him as it was more than evident that Grabovski was getting waived if he was still there at the end of training camp.

The one difference between Grabovski and Kostitsyn (Sergei) is that the former literally walked out on the team late in the season for not playing (when he flew to the next road game himself to talk to the agent about what to do next). (Kostitsyn did that when he was assigned to Hamilton out of junior which wasn't much better though.) Doing that right before the season before he was waiver eligible ended his chances with the Habs - the players kept shut and didn't shun Grabovski when his agent advised him to stay with the team...until the end of the year. I'm all but certain several veterans went to management and said get rid of him, that they weren't going to put up with that stupidity. To this day, I remain stunned Toronto actually traded for him as it was more than evident that Grabovski was getting waived if he was still there at the end of training camp.

That is exactly why I couldn't care less if they performed elsewhere, I wouldn't want to be on the same team as someone who pulled that.

Grabovski was gone to the KHL if the Habs didn't trade him.