2013 NHL Draft

Commandant

Go Wings go!

Still not sure why Slepyshev and Makarov both went undrafted and no one tossed in a 6th or 7th round pick for them?

Petan outproduced Horvat and Domi combined at mem cup? Not bad

Super job with kid profiles once again sir, but Klimchuk at 32 and Lazar at 20? He and Lazar are very equal, i would even favour Klimchuck as a Hab.

Drouin still #1 by me and seemingly QMJHL & CHL voters as well, not a chance i would use a #1 pick on a d-man, Doughty was about the only d-man taken in top 5 lately worth the pick.

Bjorkstrand (who also looked very good at mem cup) was voted an equal rookie to Jones in Portland and he is rated in 2nd round. Another Dane in Montreal wouldnt hurt.

Oliver Bjorkstrand, a RW who had a major role in Portland's WHL playoff run and Mem Cup bid.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/30/oliver-bjorkstrand-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-49/

Two things to remember about year end awards though.

How good a player is now, is not how good a player projects to be in the NHL. Teams are trying to pick the best player in the NHL for them trying to project the players future in 3-4 years, not the best junior player for their junior team.

If it was about taking the best junior player, then Corey Locke would have been a first round pick.

Oliver Bjorkstrand, a RW who had a major role in Portland's WHL playoff run and Mem Cup bid.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/30/oliver-bjorkstrand-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-49/

Two things to remember about year end awards though.

How good a player is now, is not how good a player projects to be in the NHL. Teams are trying to pick the best player in the NHL for them trying to project the players future in 3-4 years, not the best junior player for their junior team.

If it was about taking the best junior player, then Corey Locke would have been a first round pick.

no way am i saying the Dane will be an All Star like Jones will surely be, just that a #1 vs a 2nd rounder seen as equals by coachs was surprising.

But d-men take so long to develop to be impact players, whereas a Drouin/MacKinnon will both be battling for rookie of year and be difference makers within 2 years, while Jones will still be adapting/learning pro-game. And by the time he fully develops he will be just in time to test free agent market.

Cory Locke/Nigel Dawes = Max Domi

It's NHL draft combine time as prospects and representatives from all 30 teams are in Toronto conducting fitness testing and player interviews. TSN has a 1 hour special on the combine tomorrow night at 7:30 PM EST.

As for who has been interviewed, Laurent Dauphin, Anthony Mantha, and Anthony Duclair have all said they did (or will) speak to the Montreal contingent. The Hockey News was asking players which teams had the toughest interviews and the Habs were one of the teams that popped up in the answers.

Apparently Valentin Zykov (rated #28 on Commandant's rankings) had the most impressive interview with Montreal's representatives at the combine.

https://twitter.com/MAGodin/status/340550342775287808

Also Valeri Nichushkin refuses to play in the AHL and told teams as such in interviews.

Also Valeri Nichushkin refuses to play in the AHL and told teams as such in interviews.

That doesn't surprise me much. He looks to be a bonafide top-5 talent and with the way prospect development for those players goes (bypassing the minors altogether), I doubt it'd even come into play. It's certainly not a great attitude to have by any stretch though.

Also, a comment from Timmins on the three 2nd rounders:

Trevor Timmins "extra 2nd rounders give us ammunition to move up if we saw a player we value at a spot." #Habs

https://twitter.com/MarkEdwardsHP/status/340529056510513152

And Timmins on goalies:

Are Habs interested in picking a goalie? Timmins: ‘It’s a position we don’t have a lot of depth in so, yes, we’ll be looking at that'

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/340541517368279040

No official list is out yet but the Habs Draft Combine should include Kurt Etchegary, Gabryel Boudreau, Émile Poirier, Dylan Labbé, Anthony Duclair, Jérémy Grégoire, Kerby Rychel (ugh) and Marc-Olivier Roy.

What is wrong with Rychel? Posted great results in fitness tests, had good stats through junior. I haven't seen him play though so i'm wondering why you hate your local hero.

What is wrong with Rychel? Posted great results in fitness tests, had good stats through junior. I haven't seen him play though so i'm wondering why you hate your local hero.

Great shot, great net presence, selfish, gives up on plays when the puck is lost, average defence when he's playing it because the rest of the time he just stands around and waits for the other team to score. Plays spoiled.

Great shot, great net presence, selfish, gives up on plays when the puck is lost, average defence when he's playing it because the rest of the time he just stands around and waits for the other team to score. Plays spoiled.

I don't like him either but for a different reason. He refused to report to the team that drafted him in the OHL, setting in motion one of the screwiest trade situations that I can recall. Barrie drafted him at the time they were playing Windsor (where his father is GM) in the finals. Younger Rychel refused to report to Barrie and given the tension between the two squads, Windsor didn't want to trade with the Colts for him. As a result, the two sides orchestrated a trade with Mississauga before training camp and then Windsor traded for him as soon as the in-season deadline to deal for first round picks was lifted. It always bugged me that he claimed that he'd only play for Windsor and then turned around and reported to the Majors.

As for his talent package, his skills are something that every team covets. He just floats too much out there which is why he's starting to slide down the rankings. There would be many worse options than him come #25 though but I too hope they look elsewhere.

The Habs aren't releasing an official list (which makes sense) but here are some more confirmed attendees from today. Historically Montreal has picked a player or two that attended their combine.

G - Zack Fucale, Antoine Bibeau, Louis-Phillipe Guindon

F - Justin Bailey, Cole Ully, Carter Verhaeghe, Matt Buckles, Matt Boudens, Peter Trainor, Bo Horvat, Tommy Veilleux, Remi Elie, Kurtis Gabriel, Anthony Mantha, Sam Henley, Gabriel Slight, Jean-Sebastien Dea, Zach Nastasiuk

D - Dane Birks, Samuel Morin?

One thing I've noticed, there's very few defencemen. That should make some on here happy who would prefer the Habs concentrate on forwards. Some of these players are overagers as well that could be options for Hamilton/Wheeling (Alex Belzile attended last years' combine, signed with Hamilton late in the season).

Apparently there were 56 expected to attend. Between what MoLG and I have posted, we have 36 (or 37). Not bad...