2013 NHL Draft

Commandant

I look at picking goalies in the 1st round with a lot of trepidation.

Which is, of course, really stupid when the franchise goalie on my favourite team was selected 5th OA...

But I'd rather wait for rounds 2-5 for selecting goalies.

We're probably looking for a project anyway, someone we don't expect to step up immediately. Better chance getting that in the second or third round.

If we were to read the tea leaves today, barring an upset by the Islanders we would have I believe the 22 pick. That would assume, that we don't win our next three games and that Minny has the same fate. If the Islanders could somehow get past the Pens, we could get PICK 21.

If we were to read the tea leaves today, barring an upset by the Islanders we would have I believe the 22 pick. That would assume, that we don't win our next three games and that Minny has the same fate. If the Islanders could somehow get past the Pens, we could get PICK 21.

Playoff seeds are only determined after the 2nd round.... Losing in the second round doesn't push you further down the draft board than first round. It is only the conference finalists who are re-seeded.

If we lose, its still possible we could pick 26th if the Ducks, Hawks and Penguins make the final four.

---------

As for today.

Madison Bowey continues the lineage of Kelowna Rockets Dmen

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/09/madison-bowey-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-29/

I'd love Gauthier to play more physical, but other than that, yes.

Everyone in the 20s is gonna have a flaw.

He'd be a good guy to spend a few years in Hamilton to mature. With his size and name people will push for him to debut sooner (like Latendresse) but I think if we wait until he's 21, 22 he'll be perfect to bring up.

I see him a lot like Joe Colbourne. Good to risk on guys like that.

Thanx Commandant for your clarification of seedings. I will look at it again. You got Nik Petran at 27? Good luck on that.

I've seen him both way higher, and way lower.

I know he's small, but he led the WHL in points too, and he can skate.

Playoff seeds are only determined after the 2nd round.... Losing in the second round doesn't push you further down the draft board than first round. It is only the conference finalists who are re-seeded.

If we lose, its still possible we could pick 26th if the Ducks, Hawks and Penguins make the final four.

No matter what, the Habs can't pick worse than 26th, regardless of whether or not Anaheim, Chicago, and Pittsburgh make it. The final four in the playoffs as you note get 27-30 no matter what. If any of the teams that finished ahead of Montreal get ousted, the Habs would move up a spot accordingly - they can go up to 23 in the perfect world (all three get eliminated by the end of Round 2) scenario.

Thanx Dlbair/ i didn't think Commandant had it quite right. The four conference finalists had to have the last four spots, so where would you put anybody that finished a head of Monreal, if they were not among the four? This makes sense.

No matter what, the Habs can't pick worse than 26th, regardless of whether or not Anaheim, Chicago, and Pittsburgh make it. The final four in the playoffs as you note get 27-30 no matter what. If any of the teams that finished ahead of Montreal get ousted, the Habs would move up a spot accordingly - they can go up to 23 in the perfect world (all three get eliminated by the end of Round 2) scenario.

Thats what I said.... we pick 26th if the Hawks, Ducks, and Penguins make the final 4.

I put up the worst case scenario.

I figure 2/3 make the final four and we pick 25th.... just the odds on it.

You also said "Losing in the second round doesn't push you further down the draft board than the first round" the three teams mentioned would be pushed down if they lost in second round, subsequently so would Montreal if that occurred.

Secondly you said "It is only the conference finalists who are reseeded" That is also wrong .Pittsburg, Anahiem and Chicago, anyone or all, who lost in second round would also be reseeded, because they didn't make it to conference finals.

The way that the ranking is done is the Stanley Cup winner is 30th, the finalist is 29th, the losers of the conf finals are 28. And 27 based on standings. And then the rest of the playoff teams fill 15-26 based on standings.

So yes the only teams who are "re-ordered" are the conference finalists.

If you look at recent mock drafts (including one from McKeens today) we are ranked 27th right now because the reseeding of the conf finalists has not occured, when they are pulled out and reseeded we will move to 26th at minimum and maybe as low as 23.

de la Rose has "Nashville second round pick" written all over him. Just the guy people are clamouring for.

I'm getting a vibe this is a defensive forward year.

I'd have no problem with him there. He's probably not a top six guy ideally but he could become an elite third liner that plays with a physical edge and that's a very valuable player to have. Plus, I like the last name for obvious reasons. :)