College Free Agent Season

Commandant

Any thoughts on some of the goalies available? Eric Hartzell is the big name (a senior so he for sure is heading to the market) but there are some other juniors that could be persuaded to turn pro.

Hartzell seems to be the biggest name, and the best of the bunch, but this crop isn't as ggood as previous years IMO.

Hartzell seems to be the biggest name, and the best of the bunch, but this crop isn't as ggood as previous years IMO.

I'd agree that the crop is weak, not just with goalies but in general. I expect that will continue in the next few years as more and more teams use later picks on US collegiate players, hoping that the player will develop into the type of guy teams typically are trying to sign at this time of year.

I like Commandant's list, we could use all seven, but I wouldn't hold my breath of getting any of them. As for goalies, I think we use one of our seconds in the draft and sign a tryout at some point to bridge our goalie stock. What i am saying is yes we need to draft a goalie, and I would go as high as a second to get the right one. Will that tryout come from the college ranks. Who knows.

I think Antoine Laganière could be an interesting option for the Habs.

A 6'6" centre who can skate and reportedly has an excellent work ethic and is from Quebec is certatinly worth a shot. Come on MB!

Langaniere? Hopefully he can keep up skating wise.

I' ve never seen the kid play, but several articles I read mentioned that he has really improved his skating during his college career. It is this apparent dedication to improvement --coupled with his size and heritage-- that really makes me hope we sign him. Next superstar? Probably not. Potentially useful player? Yes.

From a players stand point, if you were going to sign a ATO/PTO and highlight your wares to the hockey world, wouldn't it make sense to sign on a team that was actually going to the playoffs. I think MB is at a disadvantage here.

From a players stand point, if you were going to sign a ATA/PTA and highlight your wares to the hockey world, wouldn't it make sense to sign on a team that was actually going to the playoffs. I think MB is at a disadvantage here.

The best guys will be signing two way NHL contracts in conjunction with the PTO. (the PTO to play in the AHL this year, the 2 way to start next season). This isn't an issue. They aren't showing their wares. They are signed.

The best guys will be signing two way NHL contracts in conjunction with the PTO. (the PTO to play in the AHL this year, the 2 way to start next season). This isn't an issue. They aren't showing their wares. They are signed.

I am guessing we are in a legal sticky-wicky. When a contract has Try OUT in it's namesake PTO I am left to surmise that there is a tryout element to the contract. The signing of a professional contract, over a year in length, simultaneous with the PTO defeats any notion of try out period. Is this a case of the legal beagles not having the time to get the nature of the contact aptly appeled?

I am guessing we are in a legal sticky-wicky. When a contract has Try OUT in it's namesake PTO I am left to surmise that there is a tryout element to the contract. The signing of a professional contract, over a year in length, simultaneous with the PTO defeats any notion of try out period. Is this a case of the legal beagles not having the time to get the nature of the contact aptly appeled?

The two way contract starts next year the PTO is so they can play this season.

The two way contract starts next year the PTO is so they can play this season.

I get that. What I am getting at is there is no redress for the Tryout. It is a forgone conclusion that the client is locked in for one Year plus the PTO term. The net result is maybe a fourteen month contract. There is no tryout.

I get that. What I am getting at is there is no redress for the Tryout. It is a forgone conclusion that the client is locked in for one Year plus the PTO term. The net result is maybe a fourteen month contract. There is no tryout.

I agree. But contracts signed after a certain date don't take effect until next season... so the PTO is the contract you can use to get him in the lineup right now.

Maybe it needs a different name, but it is what it is.

I agree. But contracts signed after a certain date don't take effect until next season... so the PTO is the contract you can use to get him in the lineup right now.

Maybe it needs a different name, but it is what it is.

Yep. You got it!A fancy way of installing a longer than a year contract. Anyway I just read that the Bulldogs had signed Grassi to an ATO. At the end of this contract he could still be an amateur and play back in Michigan or wherever he came from, if he needed to. Correct?

He can't go back to school.

Once you sign an ATO or PTO, you are no longer eligible for NCAA hockey

The reason he gets an ATO and not a ELC to go along with it, is that he's not a prime college free agent. He truly is getting a tryout with the Bulldogs and trying to earn a deal for next season.

So as far as the NCAA is concerned

Amateur has no revelance in the term ATO, and tryout has no revelance in the term PTO. Gotch A!

The term Amateur and Professional in the tryout contracts matters where they come from.

Guys coming from the CHL and NCAA get ATOs because they were Amateurs before signing them.

Guys coming from the ECHL and CHL (Central Hockey League) get PTOs because they are already Pros.

Thats where the designation comes from.

Once you play in the AHL you have lost your amateur status as far as the NCAA is concerned.

The term Amateur and Professional in the tryout contracts matters where they come from.

Guys coming from the CHL and NCAA get ATOs because they were Amateurs before signing them.

Guys coming from the ECHL and CHL (Central Hockey League) get PTOs because they are already Pros.

Thats where the designation comes from.

So the name of the contact is not from the status of the contract they are signing but from their status from whence the come, with the exception of the good NCAA players who would sign a PTO not representing that they came from amateur status. Have I missed anything. Just maybe, the legal beagles might want to clean that up abit?

So the name of the contact is not from the status of the contract they are signing but from their status from whence the come, with the exception of the good NCAA players who would sign a PTO not representing that they came from amateur status. Have I missed anything. Just maybe, the legal beagles might want to clean that up abit?

I can't think of circumstances where an NCAA player would sign a PTO. If they're coming from amateur status, they get an ATO. At either rate, a tryout is a tryout, it's the same contract. The 'A' or 'P' merely represents the level of play the player is coming from as Commandant listed earlier.