2013 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

With most of the teams now done and some player/coach moves being made, let's kick off the offseason thread a tad early this year. News of the day included the reported 2 year, $10 M deal to Sergei Gonchar from Dallas and that Edmonton fired their coach Ralph Krueger (who never should have been the head guy in the first place). Dallas Eakins is likely to get that job which would take him out of the running for the Vancouver position that he has interviewed for twice already.

Mark Streit's rights have been dealt to the Flyers in exchange for a 4th round pick (I presume there's a condition on there). That would be a good fit for them, they could use some offence beyond Timonen. I'd like to see the Habs try to pursue this with Ryder, maybe they can recover a pick in one of the rounds they don't have one in (4th/5th).

Dan Bylsma gets a 2 year extension from Pittsburgh - so much for him being fired as some were speculating. The Pens also announced they won't buy out Fleury as some were speculating (I think they need to get rid of him, whether it's via trade or buyout).

Malkin agrees to terms on an 8 year extension worth $9.5M from Pittsburgh. That puts him just shy of Ovechkin for the highest cap hit in the league. The deal can't officially be signed until July 1 though as he's under contract next season already.

Malkin agrees to terms on an 8 year extension worth $9.5M from Pittsburgh. That puts him just shy of Ovechkin for the highest cap hit in the league. The deal can't officially be signed until July 1 though as he's under contract next season already.

Higher cap hit than Crosby but less money due to term.

It sounds like Alain Vigneault is nearing a deal to be the new coach of the Rangers after he withdrew from a scheduled interview with Dallas. No surprise there, I figured he'd be snapped up quickly.

Lindy Ruff is the new coach of the Dallas Stars. That's too perfect - is it 'good goal' instead of 'no goal' now? I thought Jeff Blashill had a good shot at getting the nod there, I wonder if they'll try to get him as an assistant now. John Tortorella appears to be a strong candidate for the Vancouver job - that one I didn't see coming.

Tortorella is perfect for Vancouver if you ask me. That room needs a serious shake-up. It's also a team with a rapidly closing window - say, two years - and Torts will bring the radical urgency, as well as the Cup experience, required for a club in that situation. The only way the Canucks can win with that dog's breakfast of a roster is by outhustling the opposition and being hungrier than anyone else. They have not had anything resembling that quality since 2011, and I don't see anyone other than Coach Asshole who is likely to spark it.

Beyond that, as someone who lives in the Vancouver area, I would LOVE to see the trauma he inflicts on the local media :lol: For sheer entertainment value that'll be fantastic.

Calgary's arena has taken significant damage from the flooding in Alberta today. So far (it may still get worse), the first ten rows of the bleachers are submerged in water, the Jumbotron room is fried, the dressing and equipment rooms are underwater, lots of memorabilia has been destroyed, and more. A new arena has been in the plans for a bit out there, this might speed up those plans a bit.

Tortorella is perfect for Vancouver if you ask me. That room needs a serious shake-up. It's also a team with a rapidly closing window - say, two years - and Torts will bring the radical urgency, as well as the Cup experience, required for a club in that situation. The only way the Canucks can win with that dog's breakfast of a roster is by outhustling the opposition and being hungrier than anyone else. They have not had anything resembling that quality since 2011, and I don't see anyone other than Coach Asshole who is likely to spark it.

Beyond that, as someone who lives in the Vancouver area, I would LOVE to see the trauma he inflicts on the local media :lol: For sheer entertainment value that'll be fantastic.

It's already happening. Vancouver reporters are pouting that he didn't give an interview after arriving.

It's already happening. Vancouver reporters are pouting that he didn't give an interview after arriving.

Boo-YAH! Let the chaos commence!! :lol:

In hockey terms, though, I think he's the right man for this team. It amazes me to hear all the fans griping about this choice on local sports radio. They'd rather have Don Hay. A real fan-base of morons...not to mention uptight bores. The reaction epitomizes "No Fun City." The Vigneault era was a sustained exercise in bland. Finally, some pepper in the pot around here!!!

I'm waiting for his address to Vancouver fans :P

"F**k off, you f**king sh*thead pipsqueak know-nothing pukes. I'm the f**king coach around this f**king town, go sit on your fat asses and drink beer while the rest of us f**king get to f**king work."

:thumbs_up:

They also retained $500k in salary, a bit odd considering Frattin/Scrivens combined make $1.54 M. LA will have to pay those two $1.04 M - two minimum salary players cost $1.1 M. Not bad cap management there...

Calgary's arena has taken significant damage from the flooding in Alberta today. So far (it may still get worse), the first ten rows of the bleachers are submerged in water, the Jumbotron room is fried, the dressing and equipment rooms are underwater, lots of memorabilia has been destroyed, and more. A new arena has been in the plans for a bit out there, this might speed up those plans a bit.

Might be the best news for the hockey team. Sad news for Calgary and Alberta, but at least the fans might not have to witness the Flames burn out at home anymore.

To the surprise of no one, Bryzgalov is bought out. He'll receive ~$1.643M for the next 14 years to not play for Philly.

To the surprise of no one, Bryzgalov is bought out. He'll receive ~$1.643M for the next 14 years to not play for Philly.

I was caught by surprise, especially since they said last week it wasn't happening. For them to do a 180 on it now suggests to me they've got the replacement lined up - if not Bernier, who? I wonder if Halak could be heading out there...

I was caught by surprise, especially since they said last week it wasn't happening. For them to do a 180 on it now suggests to me they've got the replacement lined up - if not Bernier, who? I wonder if Halak could be heading out there...

I don't know... I think that was sportsnet F*ing up. While the guy from Sportsnet was reporting Holmgren said that he wouldn't buy Bryz out.... Holmgren was telling Comcast sportsnet philly that the report was untrue, and bob mckenzie was tweeting that the flyers would buy him out.

Never trust a network that once hired eklund as a trade deadline analyst.

• Upvote 1

Bryzgalov had a bad relationship in Philly with his teammates and was banking on the team firing Lavy. He needs a healthy environment. Then again they preferred Smith over him as a "teammate" in Phoenix.

I think his numbers are worse than his ability. Plus nobody pays attention to the fact that Jon Quick had only a .02 save percentage better. Philly's problem is defence first and foremost. That includes their forwards. Why they don't play Eric Wellwood I'll never get. Guy is more than skilled enough to play in their top 12.

Interesting decision by St. Louis to sign Kevin Shattenkirk to a four year, $17 M contract. As he was coming off of his ELC, this buys out precisely zero of his UFA years and guarantees he'll be unrestricted at the end of the contract. Usually avoiding the bridge contract means that you get at least one extra year of team control. It'll be interesting to see if they go the same route with Pietrangelo.

Also, the NHL has reportedly closed a loophole in the CBA regarding buyouts. There was no provision in the original document that says a team can't trade a player elsewhere, have that team buy him out, and the original team re-signs the player. Toronto and Tampa were reportedly discussing that with Lecavalier but the league has stepped in and struck that down.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/nhl_trips_up_buyouts_90sX16wV28TR1GtnCDS8ZO