2014 NHL Draft

Commandant

If look at invite list and Bergevin drafts, see a lot of big bodies.

If not Lernout, would you of been 'happier' if was Alexis Vanier they traded up for? (odd he lasted till 105 or so)

Was only a handful of other d-men, taken after Lernout, that seem to be a safer (more two way, average sized) options

I didn't like moving up for Lernout at all either but his career is now going to be compared to the picks we traded to get him instead of whether or not he'll be a good player for the Canadiens organization. Disappointment with the GM/Scout should be separated from disappointment with the player.

I didn't like moving up for Lernout at all either but his career is now going to be compared to the picks we traded to get him instead of whether or not he'll be a good player for the Canadiens organization. Disappointment with the GM/Scout should be separated from disappointment with the player.

Arizona took; Anton Karlsson (Swedish RW) & Mike Bunting (OHL LW) with Hab picks.

Only time will tell how plays out (odds are that 2 of the 3 guys will never amount to be regular NHLers).

Lernout is a physical specimen, a real powerhouse at 6' 4" and is a very competitive guy that wants very badly to make it in the NHL, I'm thinking the pick could have been a lot worse....

And he was exactly what I would of targeted with 2nd pick and was also pleased when Koberstein was next pick (not that ever hear of him, but physical Alberta farmboy d-man is a good start); well I guess I am good with all of the pikcs and thought Habs did very well with limited higher picks.

They did well to get Nikita Scherbak at #26 overall. He had the same points per 60 minutes of playing time rate as Sam Reinhart and Leon Draisaitl in the WHL last season. They both had more power play time than he did as well. Along with playing for stronger teams, and having more experience in the league. Draisaitl was in his second full season in the league after coming over from Europe, Reinhart was already in his fourth season with the same WHL team. Based on the numbers, Scherbak looks to have at least the same pure offensive skills as those two, probably more than Reinhart. Size wise, he falls somewhere in the middle of the trio at 6-2, 190 pounds. He is also the youngest of the three, by a couple of months.

• Upvote 1

Yes, seems a prototypical 'russian' forward and tons of skill with puck.

I guess my biggest question will be 'consistency', will he bring an 'enthusiastic' effort every game or be more like a lot of super skilled scorers and look like superstar one game and be invisible the next.

But, got no argument with your first post sir and nice to hear from another Left-coast HabFan. Will be interesting to see what kind of season he has this coming year in the WHL.

They did well to get Nikita Scherbak at #26 overall. He had the same points per 60 minutes of playing time rate as Sam Reinhart and Leon Draisaitl in the WHL last season. They both had more power play time than he did as well. Along with playing for stronger teams, and having more experience in the league. Draisaitl was in his second full season in the league after coming over from Europe, Reinhart was already in his fourth season with the same WHL team. Based on the numbers, Scherbak looks to have at least the same pure offensive skills as those two, probably more than Reinhart. Size wise, he falls somewhere in the middle of the trio at 6-2, 190 pounds. He is also the youngest of the three, by a couple of months.

While you can't ignore numbers, you also can't make them the full basis for scouting either.

There are reasons Reinhart is the 2nd overall pick and Scherbak is 26th and its not just the Russian factor. To say he probably has more pure offensive skill than Reinhart is just silliness IMO.

And he was exactly what I would of targeted with 2nd pick and was also pleased when Koberstein was next pick (not that ever hear of him, but physical Alberta farmboy d-man is a good start); well I guess I am good with all of the pikcs and thought Habs did very well with limited higher picks.

The reality is though.... that most of these guys taken who were non-scorers in junior but big defensive D... flame out and bust.

What we do see is that most guys who do make it are over .5 PPG in their junior draft year, even if some get converted to defensive D down the road.

Now numbers aren't the only way to scout as I've said above, but in watching Lernout, I just don't see the puck skills at the junior level, never mind the NHL level. Its douglas murray again. He can't make a pass or handle the puck.

While you can't ignore numbers, you also can't make them the full basis for scouting either.

There are reasons Reinhart is the 2nd overall pick and Scherbak is 26th and its not just the Russian factor. To say he probably has more pure offensive skill than Reinhart is just silliness IMO.

Reinhart was drafted for his all round game. I think he was used as a penalty killer at the WJC. He is a very safe choice, a long record of production and the genes of a long time NHL star. But I haven't heard raves about his pure offensive skills, at least compared to many other top prosects in the draft.

Reinhart is some slick smart hockey player and he seems to have very high hockey IQ (like Eberle-Nugent-Hopkins), I watched couple of their playoff games and he simply carried that team over Calgary and racked up something like 17points.

So, I would of taken him 1st or 2nd no question.

Reinhart is some slick smart hockey player and he seems to have very high hockey IQ (like Eberle-Nugent-Hopkins), I watched couple of their playoff games and he simply carried that team over Calgary and racked up something like 17points.

So, I would of taken him 1st or 2nd no question.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying that Scherbak should have been taken ahead of Reinhart, or Draitsail. I just think his offensive upside is in the same neighborhood. He is close to the same size as well, so getting him at #26 overall was a bargain. He has a lot more work to do on his all round game, and that will likely leave him a couple years behind them as far as realizing his potential is concerned. With less guarantee that he will reach it.

In terms of even strength points per 60 minutes of ice time (according to Extra Skater stats), Sam Bennett was the most productive of the top draft picks at 3.5. Draitsail was at 2.9, Scherbak and Reinhart at 2.8. But Reinhart played nearly 80% of his team's man advantage time, and two thirds of their shorthanded time, during the season. He averaged 28 minutes of ice time per game. I'm not sure if that was good for his development, because there has to be a tendency to coast when you're on the ice that much. That was one complaint I heard about his game. He'll probably have to go through an adjustment period when he moves up.

Edited by ethan raphael

You lost me when started tossing stats around.

But, Scherbak was drafted right around where many had him (mid-late 1st round) and we will see if he can improve on his rookie year, Bozon also was high scoring rookie in WHL and has done well, but still not like a Gallagher (of course his illness was a huge set back in development).

So will Scherbak get 35-40+ goals this year?

By the numbers, Scherbak's draft season was more impressive than Gallagher's. Gallagher was in his second CHL season and on a loaded team as well. The thing with the Nikita is that we only have one season to go on. He never made the national teams for his age group in Russia, so all the scouting is based on his rookie CHL season on a rebuilding club. That is why he was there at #26. Most team's didn't feel comfortable using a high pick on a relatively unkown quantity.

So will Scherbak get 35-40+ goals and improve next year and the year after that? Hope so, with his personality and skills it would be super to see him be an impact player down the road.

But was interesting that Timmins took Nikita Sergeyevich Scherbak over Goldobin/Barbashev who both have played multiple CHL seasons. So gives me some confidence he has that 'something' a head scout looks for.

Scherbak was a very good pick at 26, but I still think its silly to think he has the same offensive potential as Reinhart and Draisatl.

Reinhart's biggest asset is his hockey IQ, he just thinks the game on another level from other prospects.

Draisatl also has very high end skill, and Hockey IQ.

Wondering about the consequences of the Malaysian airliner being shot down over the Ukraine. Looks to be the work of pro Russian rebels, and if that is verified, there will be huge sanctions directed at Russia by western countries, including the U.S. and Canada. It's a political situation that could blow up and affect the availability of Russian born hockey players for NHL teams.

We been through this before up till the 80s and I really don't care one way or other. Plane being shot down terrible and bit creepy to discuss with trivial entertainment crap like hockey visa issues.

The circus will go on just fine either way, don't worry.