Montreal vs. Nashville | December 21th, 2013 | 1900 EST

lazy26

If only we could get a team with 18 skaters and a goalie below 5'11 200 lbs. We'd really show the other 29 franchises who realize the league is trending towards size and strength!

Jacob De La Rose should be a gem. But looking at Timmons's draft record, it is disturbing to see how poorly he assesses players who have size. McCarron, I don't even think I would make that pick, I wanted Adam Erne.

I think size is somewhat overrated, but at the same time, you only have to look at St Louis manhandling us to realize that, no matter how much "character" your smurfs have, size is important. Even one more top-9 forward with size could really improve our profile. The problem, of course, is to get skilled size. Ranting at Bergevin for not loading up on hulks is silly, but so is thinking that you're going to win a Cup with three of the smallest players in the league playing crucial roles in your top-9. Given his drafting, I think Bergevin realizes this. As with his trading, it's just way too premature to start crapping on MB's head. The Briere signing was stupid; but it didn't cost us any assets, so that hardly constitutes some catastrophic managerial mistake.

Machine, you keep forgetting that Pleks is 31. Say we want to contend in two years; he'll be 33, going on 34. You're talking about diminishing returns here. That was not the case with either Sharp or Mike Richards. I'm not going all cowabunga over the necessity to trade Plekanec, but it's NOT a crazy idea unless you think we have already all the pieces we need within the organization to contend. Is this what you think? Or do you just expect the Impact Forward Fairy to drop Evander Kane in our Christmas stocking?

• Upvote 1

I think size is somewhat overrated, but at the same time, you only have to look at St Louis manhandling us to realize that, no matter how much "character" your smurfs have, size is important. Even one more top-9 forward with size could really improve our profile. The problem, of course, is to get skilled size. Ranting at Bergevin for not loading up on hulks is silly, but so is thinking that you're going to win a Cup with three of the smallest players in the league playing crucial roles in your top-9. Given his drafting, I think Bergevin realizes this. As with his trading, it's just way too premature to start crapping on MB's head. The Briere signing was stupid; but it didn't cost us any assets, so that hardly constitutes some catastrophic managerial mistake.

Machine, you keep forgetting that Pleks is 31. Say we want to contend in two years; he'll be 33, going on 34. You're talking about diminishing returns here. That was not the case with either Sharp or Mike Richards. I'm not going all cowabunga over the necessity to trade Plekanec, but it's NOT a crazy idea unless you think we have already all the pieces we need within the organization to contend. Is this what you think? Or do you just expect the Impact Forward Fairy to drop Evander Kane in our Christmas stocking?

I'll take the Gallaghers and the Giontas of the smaller spectrum, but the Desharnais, Brieres and Bouillon's are going the way of the Dodo in the NHL. When the Habs come into FLA on Sunday, i'll make sure to sit down in my seat during warmups, as i'm next to the glass unitl the game starts. I'm 5'11, and I don't want our players to feel self-conscious.

I agree on skilled size. I also believe we need better small skill. Desharnais doesn't do enough in 60 minutes to warrant his offensive production. That's why I always compare him with Bourque. Max Pacioretty is skilled size. He can make things happen that utilizes his size. But again, constantly I see this ranting against DD, one of the only players scoring in the past 20 games while Eller is getting free passes for defensive play that doesn't come close to Plek.

Sharp and Plekanec are the same age. Chicago and Montreal developed at different times but the point I'm making stands. Plekanec is the guy you trade when you're about to tank, not when you're trying to go over the top. Patrick Sharp, Patrice Bergeron, Mike Richards. Why are these guys coveted on Stanley Cup winning teams? Because their job is far more important than adding size to a lineup.

Take LA and my Mike Richards example. You're saying move a guy like Plekanec for him. Did LA move a guy like Plekanec for Richards? No. They kept Justin Williams, who is exactly that. They ended up moving Wayne Simmonds. You know why? Because even though Simmonds was young and had a lot of talent, he wasn't going to provide more than what Richards provided. So if we're moving Plekanec because we want to get better, we have to be getting someone better. Otherwise we're just treading water and replacing one problem and creating another.

Also, I'm all for acquiring an Evander Kane. But I'm not ready to see Montreal score a couple more goals if it means every team with an elite player is going to make Lars Eller look like a child in a seven game series. If we're giving up Plekanec, might as well give him to a team that's going to win a Cup with him. St. Louis could sure use him more than Winnipeg could. They might actually want to shut down a star or two come spring instead of play golf.

I would just trade Bourque and Briere for prospects and picks. They are useless and they're only taking up ice time. If we have injuries, call Hamilton and give those guys a chance. Can anyone think of the last time those did anything of value? Maybe a team with injuries will throw us a 2nd or a guy which turns out to be a Bournival in a couple years.

The Plekanec/contender argument is a good one if we want an impact forward. We might be adding one issue while subtracting another, but what else is there to do. I would trade Markov if you get a similar return, but Plekanec is the most valuable to get a good piece back.

I would just trade Bourque and Briere for prospects and picks. They are useless and they're only taking up ice time. If we have injuries, call Hamilton and give those guys a chance. Can anyone think of the last time those did anything of value? Maybe a team with injuries will throw us a 2nd or a guy which turns out to be a Bournival in a couple years.

The Plekanec/contender argument is a good one if we want an impact forward. We might be adding one issue while subtracting another, but what else is there to do. I would trade Markov if you get a similar return, but Plekanec is the most valuable to get a good piece back.

We MIGHT be able to trade Bourque. No one is dumb enough to trade for Briere. The best we can hope for is that someone hires Milbury or Feaster while Briere is still under contract. That's the only scenario I see of being able to unload someone as useless as Briere.

In trading Pleks, everything would hinge on Lars Eller becoming an excellent two-way centreman within whatever our given "window" is for Cup contention. It certainly wouldn't happen right away, but I wouldn't rule out Lars being acceptable in that role within, say, two years. Machine is correct about the element of risk in this; no one is saying such a trade wouldn't be a high-stakes move.

Merry Christmas, my fellow Habbies :)