NHL Franchise in Seattle?

DON

The big issue with Seattle right now is that they don't have a new arena built. There's a developer (Chris Hansen) who wants to build an arena but only if the NBA is the primary tenant. He has no issues with it being a joint facility but he won't build it if it's just the NHL. If it's a different group coming in, not only are they going to get a team, they'll also have to get around the arena development plan that Hansen has with the city.

Living in the Vancouver area, all I can say is that I love the idea of a Seattle franchise. It'd become my instant second-favourite team because of the built-in rivalry with the Canuckleheads. ;)

The "Kraken?" What gives? :huh:

Cool jerseys though

Sea monster. Also a well known bar in Seattle.

Whenever I played NHL games and made up a Seattle expansion team I'd always call them the "Seattle Sound". It's kind of an outdated reference by now. Seattle Steelheads is alright too if they named them after their fish.

Sea monster. Also a well known bar in Seattle.

Whenever I played NHL games and made up a Seattle expansion team I'd always call them the "Seattle Sound". It's kind of an outdated reference by now. Seattle Steelheads is alright too if they named them after their fish.

I get the (basic) referent - and no doubt the fans are filled with fantasies of yelling 'RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!'

Still seems lame to me. "Steelheads" is pretty good, though. (How about the "Seattle Grunge"? Oh wait, talk about out of date...)

I imagine Penguins was thought quite odd when first proposed?

With Seahawks and Mariners in town, not sure what they might go with? But another coastal/oceanic reference (like Kraken) might be popular.

I imagine Penguins was thought quite odd when first proposed?

With Seahawks and Mariners in town, not sure what they might go with? But another coastal/oceanic reference (like Kraken) might be popular.

Well, I always thought "Penguins" was a stupid name and still do. The only thing it has going for it is alliteration. And also, once the Ducks were created, it came to seem downright inspired next to THE most moronic team moniker in hockey.

This is a fun topic. Here are five suggestions: http://thehockeywriters.com/five-potential-team-names-new-seattle-nhl-franchise/ Apparently there used to be a Seattle team called the "Metropolitans" and these writers like that because of the history. I think it's a bad idea, both because the NHL already has a division ridiculously named that, and also because of the unfortunate ricochet with "Metrosexual."

The "Seattle Orca" will generate huge objections from the Canucks, who gave themselves that insipid Orca logo when they were bought by Orca Bay Enterprises. (The Canucks should go either with the classic stick motif, or with the iconic "Johnny Canuck" character for their logo, but since that organization never does anything right, they won't).

"Seattle Totem?" Ummm...naming a hockey team after immobile objects, probably not a rockin' idea.

"Thunderbirds?" How banal can you get?

But the "Seattle Sockeye" kicks ass if you ask me. :thumbs_up: It's got alliteration, an iconic local referent, and the name can be read as a double-entendre referencing a hockey fight (where you "sock" a guy in the eye). "Seattle Sasquatch" is tempting as well, if you like names that incline toward the tongue-in-cheek; the mascot and logos will be obvious and the kids'll love it. But it's "Seattle Sockeye" for me, all the way down the line.

Seattle Sasquatch would never fly seeing as the Avalanche use Big Foot imagery. Same problem with the Orca. Also agree 100% with Johnny Canuck. I'd buy this if Vancouver was smart enough to do it: http://s144.photobucket.com/user/jetmonkeyj/media/vancouver-canucks-third-jersey.png.html

Seattle Sasquatch would never fly seeing as the Avalanche use Big Foot imagery. Same problem with the Orca. Also agree 100% with Johnny Canuck. I'd buy this if Vancouver was smart enough to do it: http://s144.photobucket.com/user/jetmonkeyj/media/vancouver-canucks-third-jersey.png.html

Yep, Van's "parallel universe" jerseys - this one and the classic "hockey stick" one from the early days - are two of the very best jerseys in all of hockey. So of course, they don't use 'em, or else relegate them to "third jersey" status. Never has a franchise so wasted so many assets to so little good purpose.

I don't think Colorado would be nearly as upset with the "Sasquatch" motif as Vancouver would be with the "Orca," but it's all the same to me - I like SOCKEYE best!

"Seattle Totem?" Ummm...naming a hockey team after immobile objects, probably not a rockin' idea.

Bah. You're not thinking creatively enough! Put Hal Gil and Doug Murray on the blue-line, and you've got a theme going!