Nov. 4, Hawks vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

winning ugly and losing ugly perfectly sums up the first 14 games!

That it does! Now, we play Minnesota sans Parise Saturday. How does the team respond I wonder. CP shutout and Chucky hatty?..

Personally the goal differential is overrated. I prefer the W column. We can get every win by 1 and every loss by 10 as far as I am concerned. I just want to see lots of W's. I like that 19-4-1 idea that is exciting. Remember whether you win 1 or 100 it still only counts as 1 win.

Personally the goal differential is overrated. I prefer the W column. We can get every win by 1 and every loss by 10 as far as I am concerned. I just want to see lots of W's. I like that 19-4-1 idea that is exciting. Remember whether you win 1 or 100 it still only counts as 1 win.

But it's about the bigger picture. Sure I agree that win are really all that matters, but realistically it's the dominant teams that win Stanley cups. So look at The last few winners: Chicago, LA, Boston. They all had unreal goal differentials. The problem with winning ugly is that it doesn't last. I have no reason to have any optimism for the the winning a cup if they keep winning games by 1 and losing by 5. It's simply unsustainable. You have to look at the bigger picture here than just wins if were being realistic.

well i will take the wins too..........but if ten other teams are equaling the W's, while producing a great goal differential .......... not a good sign when you meet in the play offs and your season depends on you getting by them

But it's about the bigger picture. Sure I agree that win are really all that matters, but realistically it's the dominant teams that win Stanley cups. So look at The last few winners: Chicago, LA, Boston. They all had unreal goal differentials. The problem with winning ugly is that it doesn't last. I have no reason to have any optimism for the the winning a cup if they keep winning games by 1 and losing by 5. It's simply unsustainable. You have to look at the bigger picture here than just wins if were being realistic.

Of course. If the habs, or any team getting the net filled some nights, stealing wins in a shoot out the next, and getting out shot, it leave s all kinds of weaknesses on display. Coaching staffs of other clubs watch your game tapes, exposing the weaknesses, going into the next game/series against you with a game plan aimed at those soft areas. When that happens the "one goal W"s" dry up and its time to get out the golf clubs.

Goal differential is a useful stat over 82 games. It's utterly meaningless 12 games into a season because the same size is distorted by a single blowout.

12 games is enough to see a trend that's happening though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all rain clouds and pessimism with this team. I actually like the team and think they can turn it around, but I just don't think they're playing well right now.

12 games is enough to see a trend that's happening though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all rain clouds and pessimism with this team. I actually like the team and think they can turn it around, but I just don't think they're playing well right now.

I think we'd all be happy to agree with that the Habs:

- Are not playing to the best of their ability

- Are trending downward

- Are not as good as their current standings

- It's still better to win games you should have lost than lose games you should have won

- Some of these losses are good in that they are cluing Therrien in to stop playing Bourque

- We're still seeing good stuff from the younger players in these bad games

- We have yet to see the team lose playing great all night

- It's too early to panic

- It isn't too early to critique

I think we'd all be happy to agree with that the Habs:

- Are not playing to the best of their ability

- Are trending downward

- Are not as good as their current standings

- It's still better to win games you should have lost than lose games you should have won

- Some of these losses are good in that they are cluing Therrien in to stop playing Bourque

- We're still seeing good stuff from the younger players in these bad games

- We have yet to see the team lose playing great all night

- It's too early to panic

- It isn't too early to critique

You couldn't sum it up much better than that!

Of course. If the habs, or any team getting the net filled some nights, stealing wins in a shoot out the next, and getting out shot, it leave s all kinds of weaknesses on display. Coaching staffs of other clubs watch your game tapes, exposing the weaknesses, going into the next game/series against you with a game plan aimed at those soft areas. When that happens the "one goal W"s" dry up and its time to get out the golf clubs.

OK guys I exaggerate a little, I am simply responding to those who seem to think that after 14 games, 3 of them being blowouts, Hence our goal differential, the goal differential is really important. Over 82 games I agree it is significant but after 14 games, it is very skewed. The best you can say is the team is inconsistent which I think is true. We haven't played our best hockey but I hope we have played our worst and it is behind us now. Our best hockey is coming up, especially if MB can dig a sniper out of ass.

have the habs played their best hockey yet? game against rangers and aves is about their best game.

habs are playing at what they are ...........the surprise is they stole several games where they were outplayed.......philly, washington, calgary, in paticular.

very weak down the middle.

average on the wings

decent enough d.

great goaltending

coaching nothing to brag about

have the habs played their best hockey yet? game against rangers and aves is about their best game.

habs are playing at what they are ...........the surprise is they stole several games where they were outplayed.......philly, washington, calgary, in paticular.

very weak down the middle.

average on the wings

decent enough d.

great goaltending

coaching nothing to brag about

you are such a ray of sunshine Habs 30/31, when will you be tossing your jersey on the ice? Me? I an going to keep mine and keep on hoping that this team will play to it's potential, which I believe is a lot higher than you do obviously. I would say I agree with the coaching comment but there are no choices so we have the best coach we gonna get for a while.

you are such a ray of sunshine Habs 30/31, when will you be tossing your jersey on the ice? Me? I an going to keep mine and keep on hoping that this team will play to it's potential, which I believe is a lot higher than you do obviously. I would say I agree with the coaching comment but there are no choices so we have the best coach we gonna get for a while.

Just really wouldn't think would be so much whining about a team off to a 9-4-1 start?

But I guess with crappy-d, crappy coaching, crappy roster choices, crappy player development, but I suppose it should be expected when got a high powered underachieving team.

Confirmation bias is huge in these discussions. So, people who have it in their heads that the Habs are mediocre discount every Habs' win as intrinsically undeserved. In the case of this season specifically, what they do is discount those second and third periods in which we kicked teams' asses, on the grounds that we got scored on first, which shows that we "really" suck. The team should "really" be 4-9 (or 0-9) on this account. The underlying assumption is that a team that fails to utterly dominate its opponents for 60 minutes every single game is "really" mediocre and "doesn't deserve" the many wins it in fact piles up.

Similarly, if we have an a priori assumption that MT sucks, then every little decision he makes that can be questioned becomes "evidence" of his horribleness as a coach, regardless of how his team actually performs. It doesn't matter, for instance, that under Therrien the Habs have finished in the top 10 overall two seasons in a row and gone to the Semi-Finals; what matters is that he does not play Nathan Beaulieu as much as some fans on the internet think he should. The latter, not the former, is taken as "really" important.

Of course, optimists also suffer from confirmation bias. But we don't hear much from optimists around here - the only thing folks hereabouts seem routinely and ridiculously optimistic about is the capacity of rookies to step into the big leagues and play massive minutes without ever having problems.

What, then, are the facts? These: this team finished 4th overall two years ago, and tied with the LA Kings for10th overall last season, while handily making the playoffs both years and going to game 6 of the semi-finals. And it is 9-4 this season. While none of that proves them to be contenders, a rational analyst doesn't look at that and go, "these guys suck and their coach should be fired."

• Upvote 1

ray of sushine. lol thats me.

i am the opposite of a cheerleader ..............one end of the spectrum to another

most are somewhere inbetween

Listen I love the Habs and I like many things about the current team. Have stated them on this site. However most of you cant be wrong on how negative i have sounded lately. OK fair enough. For the record , as i said there are many things to like about this team.....

the gm for instance, MB will eventually build a contender.

-PK Subban I have watched since junior, watched him live nightly in Hamilton, predicted he would win a Norris before he played one NHL game.

-love Markov, always have

-Gallagher is actually a better NHL player than he was an AHL player.....just one of those guys

-emelin....love the guy every team needs one.

-Tinordi, Bealieu Galchenyuk best first rounders Habs have taken since Koivu in 93

-love Gaineys drafting of Price, Subban and the trade that landed Pax. Best three players on the team were Bob Gainey aquisitions. Nice

-like Eller even though he seems to be taking for ever to learn consistency

-huge Prust fan even with his short shelf life

-love the passion of the fans.....even the cheerleaders on sites like this one

-hate the leafs, loathe the bruins, cant stand the flyers

-admire Plekanics penalty killing abilities, one of the best and smartest at it. takes a beating and keeps on ticking, even though he is asked to do more than he is built to

-undecided on Sekac although pleasantly surprised by his compete level and speed

-watched Tokarski all last season live, love the guy...winner

-great trades with buffalo and colorado in the off season

-signing Manny was a brilliant move that the past prior 4 gms would not have done. again a credit to MB..... like his style and work round the clock mentality. He will be the GM for a long time to come. A huge plus.

-love that Serge Savard was in on the hiring of MB

-like that the Molson family are back in the saddle.

-two best sports books ever written.....The Game and Lions in Winter

will end this "ray of sunshine" with

CONCRADS TO GUY LAPOINTE ! me thinks he deserves it.

• Upvote 1

We will accept your apology for now. :)

Oh and by the way what exactly is wrong with cheering for your team?

You have said a few times you are not a cheer leader.

should i have elaborated.

to mean fans can be like coaches.......sometimes you kick a little a$$

cheer leading is ok.............but not constantly, especially when they stink.

only leaf fans cheer lead no matter what

We will accept your apology for now. :)

Oh and by the way what exactly is wrong with cheering for your team?

You have said a few times you are not a cheer leader.

If a team isn't strong (or meets some fans irrational expectations), do not tease the players by applauding or encouraging them, come on, you should know that HR! :bonk:

should i have elaborated.

to mean fans can be like coaches.......sometimes you kick a little a$$

cheer leading is ok.............but not constantly, especially when they stink.

only leaf fans cheer lead no matter what

sp ---- to me, fans can be like coaches.

cheer leading ok, not constantly

when they stink, voice it.

like when the fans boo at the bell center, happens way more frequently in this "modern era" of habs games

If a team isn't strong (or meets some fans irrational expectations), do not tease the players by applauding or encouraging them, come on, you should know that HR! :bonk:

Ahhh now I understand. :nuts: