Nashville Predators at Montreal Canadiens | January 20th, 2015 | 1930 EST

lazy26

We have got to get Le Genius to start waving that forking wake up potion of his earlier in the game, or there are going some dead habs fans from stress heart attacks if this keeps up . And we need to reduce the property damage. You know throwing tv's off balconies and such.Surley to the great pumpkin he can set their alarms earlier or something. Yeah great 2 points, :clap:

Team gets themselves going when the clock has less than thirty minutes to go. Like Ali rope a dope. Opposition goes all out early, price keeps it close, we have a full tank for the second half of game.

If therrien could "get them going" for every third period he would get that potion out before the first or second. He is as baffled as we are i'm sure.

But it works for us because we have the best goalie in the nhl ! :clap:

all star game this week end..... blah

Desharnais has been in front of the net all year on the power play

no there was spell there where nobody was going to the front of the net. DD spent alot of time off to the side of the net, and the half wall. Last night standing right in front on a Subban shot, i had to a double take to be sure i was seeing what i thought i was seeing. Good on DD.

Guest Stogey24

Ever since he got moved to the wing he thinks he's Brian Gionta.

Pretty funny how Gio 11pts in 34 games this year. Hefty contract for those numbers.

Quite a show by Subban, when has there been a similar d-man who can basically go globetrotters on opposition and make em look like kids?

And love seeing Sekac actually getting almost exact average PP icetime PAP was getting and setting up shop in front of goalie.

Galchenyuk on for OT winner also...not sure we should be too worried about his future eh.

As Boone noted, youth of team is darn encouraging.

Pretty funny how Gio 11pts in 34 games this year. Hefty contract for those numbers.

So glad they let him go. Was horrified when i would hear that he may be resigned for his leadership "in the room" character

Quite a show by Subban, when has there been a similar d-man who can basically go globetrotters on opposition and make em look like kids?

And love seeing Sekac actually getting almost exact average PP icetime PAP was getting and setting up shop in front of goalie.

Galchenyuk on for OT winner also...not sure we should be too worried about his future eh.

As Boone noted, youth of team is darn encouraging.

agree with all that. Might have been Subban best game of the year.

Guest Stogey24

So glad they let him go. Was horrified when i would hear that he may be resigned for his leadership "in the room" character

agree with all that. Might have been Subban best game of the year.

I was happy when he left too. Two torn bi's. Never the same after that.

When subban takes his leash off he's unstoppable.

Quick question:

Where were the Montreal f'n Canadiens during the first two periods?!!! I know the Preds are a damned good team and all, but Caw-riiiist, it was like watching the Russian Red Army vs f'n Japan

they were sloppy, unorganized, could not get a a real shot on net, could not gain the zone, could not clear the puck out of their own zone. Price covers up for all the bad habits and keeps us in it long enough.

like rocky getting beaten to a pulp all night then winning by a hair. ha!

I would say "dont make a habit out of it" but too late for that. :nuts:

PK on TSN right now. Just said this is when the season starts. First forty five games is a warm up. "Now we see who the teams are and who the players are after january , down the stretcht and the play offs"

Really like this kids attitude and hockey IQ.

Seen it before, have you forgotten one #33.

And why do you think many have been mentioning him as MVP candidate for awhile now.

So it simply is no surprise to me, that's all.

No many have been saying thats all season. Habs rely way too much on Carey. More than any other team in the league. Habs can go deep as Don said........if Price plays "Roy like" in the spring. If Carey Price is just average, habs get beaten by wide margins. Yes you can say that about many teams................but nowhere is it more true than with the Habs. The article is accurate.

Impossible to say would get beaten by wide margin, not sure why some seem to like to project failure scenarios? And what does it really matter how Price plays...I have heard 1,001 times that they cant win a cup with Therrien as coach and Plekanec as best centre.

When was last time Price played average? :blush:

I'm not buying into this article by Travis Yost. He says Habs are a terrible team 5 on 5.... really?

No, not at all, in fact among the league leading teams in 5 on 5 goals.

Possessing the puck is everything now eh?

Nope, not at all, you have to score when you have it and Habs do score at a good clip when 5 on 5...

Not that I want to cast a shadow on how great Price is(as tho I even could), but the Canadiens aren't the bottom feeder defensively that Arizona and Philly are either, Habs are 3rd overall in Goals against, and as much as I worship Price, it's not solely him...

Yost must be reading too much EoTP, and like them, he spins that possession and Corsi into doobies, and when smoked, they impair their vision to even comprehend what happens on the ice, in a real game, with real variables, and real individual efforts and matchups, without ever really understanding that hockey cannot be defined, or described by stats and mathmatics alone....

Half of it is B.S.

Impossible to say would get beaten by wide margin, not sure why some seem to like to project failure scenarios? And what does it really matter how Price plays...I have heard 1,001 times that they cant win a cup with Therrien as coach and Plekanec as best centre.

Very true, he is the best.

I'm not buying into this article by Travis Yost. He says Habs are a terrible team 5 on 5.... really?

No, not at all, in fact among the league leading teams in 5 on 5 goals.

Possessing the puck is everything now eh?

Nope, not at all, you have to score when you have it and Habs do score at a good clip when 5 on 5...

Not that I want to cast a shadow on how great Price is(as tho I even could), but the Canadiens aren't the bottom feeder defensively that Arizona and Philly are either, Habs are 3rd overall in Goals against, and as much as I worship Price, it's not solely him...

Yost must be reading too much EoTP, and like them, he spins that possession and Corsi into doobies, and when smoked, they impair their vision to even comprehend what happens on the ice, in a real game, with real variables, and real individual efforts and matchups, without ever really understanding that hockey cannot be defined, or described by stats and mathmatics alone....

Half of it is B.S.

Which makes half of it accurate.

I dont go much for the Corsi stat. I mean i listen when stats guy are saying who has the best numbers and who has the worst. But thats about it. Its no secret that the habs are a bit puzzling. Just when you think they will take the next step they go 30 minutes with barely a shot on net, or the Sens pepper Price with 20 shots in the first period. So that gets people talking about the cracks, or "are they as good as their record indicates" "Price" is always the response when the subject comes up.

I have no problem with looking at the spots they could improve on so they can have success in the grueling,top notch, high tempo play off hockey.. ie Down the middle, bottom pair on d................but if you mention a players name that would have to go in order to improve that position........well, "how dare you" :flaming: God forbid you even suggest smarter coaching. :angry2:

East is so tight again its up for grabs. Comes down to how teams match up. Rangers concern me. They easily match our speed. Bigger too, and they just play the habs well. Tbay will be a tall order too. Might be able to take advantage of Lightnings lack of play off experience. Islanders? Halak against Price would be great. All four islander lines can hurt you one way or another. Boston is less of a concern than they have been in years, but history teaches that anything can happen when Boston Montreal hook up in spring.

However the Cup will be won by the west again this season. imo (please refrain from throwing stones) :thumbs_up:

Oh OK.

Maybe Habs can at least get some playoff experience this year and aim for a cup run next year, 2016-17, or whenever Therrien is fired and Habs find 2 new top centres?

Shucks..I really thought might have a chance this year. What was I thinking...I am an idiot! :cry_smile:

The problem with these articles (and puck possession talk) is that you can't look at these as "good team" and "bad team". It's "good habits" and "bad habits". Puck possession, shots to the goalie and keeping shots from your goalie are good habits. They do not guarantee victory. They are simply good habits. The people writing them are usually of the attitude of good habits/bad habits but too many people reading them think that we're talking about good team vs. bad team. It's not.

There was an important point made in the article, which is that puck possession and high shots has done nothing to help the Minnesota Wild and Edmonton Oilers. It also did nothing to help the Ottawa Senators in the past. After Ottawa beat us, there was a thousand articles from less sophisticated hockey folks who saw their possession stats and thought they were going to be a contender. They crashed and burned because their defensive game wasn't strong enough and possessing the puck doesn't mean goals are going in. The Wild actually have a great defensive squad but their goaltending has been poor. The Oilers have zero defensive game and even less finish. Possession just means they hold the puck before they lose it and get scored on.

Montreal does need to control the puck better, specifically in the first 30 minutes. But relying on your goalie is something close to every great team does.

Oh OK.

Maybe Habs can at least get some playoff experience this year and aim for a cup run next year, 2016-17, or whenever Therrien is fired and Habs find 2 new top centres?

Shucks..I really thought might have a chance this year. What was I thinking...I am an idiot! :cry_smile:

No you are not an idiot. Nor are those who don't think the team is a s strong as you think they are.

When you have the best goalie in the nhl, you always "have a chance". (slim as that might be). Remember Hasek in 99. Almost. Roy in 93. Champs.

Context. Put Price on St Louis its over. Put Price on the Ducks it over. Put Price on the Hawks its over. Put him on the habs "they have a chance" like you said.

Nothing wrong with being the under dog. :Bulldogs:

The problem with these articles (and puck possession talk) is that you can't look at these as "good team" and "bad team". It's "good habits" and "bad habits". Puck possession, shots to the goalie and keeping shots from your goalie are good habits. They do not guarantee victory. They are simply good habits. The people writing them are usually of the attitude of good habits/bad habits but too many people reading them think that we're talking about good team vs. bad team. It's not.

There was an important point made in the article, which is that puck possession and high shots has done nothing to help the Minnesota Wild and Edmonton Oilers. It also did nothing to help the Ottawa Senators in the past. After Ottawa beat us, there was a thousand articles from less sophisticated hockey folks who saw their possession stats and thought they were going to be a contender. They crashed and burned because their defensive game wasn't strong enough and possessing the puck doesn't mean goals are going in. The Wild actually have a great defensive squad but their goaltending has been poor. The Oilers have zero defensive game and even less finish. Possession just means they hold the puck before they lose it and get scored on.

Montreal does need to control the puck better, specifically in the first 30 minutes. But relying on your goalie is something close to every great team does.

Good post.

"good habits , bad habits" Yes, a much more accurate description.