Jan. 8/9, Pirates vs IceCaps, 6 PM

dlbalr

The IceCaps (16-9-5-3) return home and for the first time in a long time, will face someone outside of their division as they host the Pirates (18-13-1-0) for a pair. Michael McCarron is expected to return to the lineup after missing the last two games with an upper body injury (puck to the mouth).

14por_500.gif

(Based on previous +/- data.)

Harper - Grimaldi - Simpson

McFarland - Schremp - Balisy

Wilson - Olson - McKegg

Rau - Megan - Brickley

Olsen - Regner

Gaunce - Weegar

Acolatse - Racine

McKenna

15stj_500.gif

Lessio - McCarron - Friberg
Bournival - de la Rose - Dumont
Hudon - Eisenschmid - Holloway
MacMillan - Gregoire

Ellis - Dietz

Hanley - Lernout

Bennett - Thrower

Didier

Pasquale

Puck drop is at 6:00 PM EST for both games, AM 930 has the call. Friday's game will be televised on RDS in tape delay beginning at 8:00 PM EST.

By the records should be a relatively fair match up.

Friberg should help when he arrives, he should make the next game eh?

I'd expect Friberg to play tomorrow which is convenient since that's one is on RDS which means fans can get a look at the new guy quickly. (The same thing happened with Lessio actually, his debut with St. John's came on the last game RDS televised.)

20shots and 2g aginst in 1st period basically sunk em. 33-17 at the moment. They said Fucale played well in 1st period even giving up 2 (they said 4th goal was bit soft but none of others).

Down 4-1 in 3rd with 11minutes left, fat lady is singing already.

Holloway(9) from Ellis-Lessio, PPG

McCarron with a fight, so face must be OK.

I didn't like the second goal. Even though it was on a 5-on-3, Fucale was way too slow getting post to post. The first one was on a defensive mistake, de la Rose lost his guy.

There wasn't much to like about that game. I thought Lessio was decent and Eisenschmid was noticeable in limited minutes. After that though, they didn't look good and the defence, especially in the first, was awful. That's where the next small trade needs to focus on, getting some help on the back end.

Doubt it. His size and bloodlines will get him a chance. Hell, boston would probably take him just to spite us.

Gormley just cleared waivers. Would Tinordi?

Gormley may not have bloodlines, but the guy has size, a better junior career, was a higher NHL pick, and has had a better AHL career too.

Then we should have claimed Gormley...

Guest Stogey24

Ryan Johnston I think is almost ready to play, shouldn't hurt them when he does. And Friberg is supposed to be good 2 way guy isn't he?

He was so good in pre season. If he was healthy all year he probably would have seen some time with Habs

Might be a little while yet before he is back. If I recall correctly he played pretty well in pre-season game.

I don't know when next week he'll be at practice but it would seem likely he'll need a good week of regular skates at least. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a 'conditioning stint' with Brampton for a game or two as well. I'm anxious to see him play - he can't be much worse defensively than what's there now.

The good news: Friberg's in.

The bad news: The lines are really screwy (see the 1st post). Let's put 2 of the top 3 scorers on the 3rd line, yeah, that's a good plan.

The ugly news: It's 2-0 Portland already and the Pirates have a shorthanded goal.

Well, at least laRose has 5pts in last 9gms, they had 41 shots, Lernout 4 shots and not on for any goals against. Gregoire drops the gloves again vs bigger opponent, maybe is Dumont's protégé?

Gregoire drops the gloves again vs bigger opponent, maybe is Dumont's protégé?

There are quite a few similarities between the two. Dumont has the heart/grit to play that 'edgy' role but Gregoire's big enough to actually have a shot at succeeding in that role at the next level. I think Gregoire still has a shot at developing more of an offensive game than Dumont's but for that to happen, he'd have to get off the fourth line.