Draft pick official

Habsrocket

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5th overall ain't too shabby, seeing as it depended solely on luck.

At the other messege board I frequent, a Penguins board, they're pretty much in a state of bliss right now. To say the least.

[Edited on 2005/7/22 by Doktor Kosmos]

That Slovenian kid sounds like a good pick. I know that people are questioning him because Slovenia hasn't produced any NHLers. Plus if the Habs draft him, Koipat, i think his name is, it would add to the list of player names that are hard to pronounce. Perezhogin and Plekanic.

Habs dont really need to trade up. Brulé, Johnson, Pouliot and Kopitar all have been ranked 2nd overall at some time or another this season. Habs can pick any of those four with their pick.

Personnaly I'm hoping for Pouliot. 1st line potential winger who's game been compared to Lecavalier's.

Habs got AWEFULY lucky with the lottery. 1 ball and we get to pick a possible franchise player.

I'd say the draft will work out like this

Pittsburgh - Crosby

Anaheim - Johnson ( Anaheim needs defensmen)

Carolina - Pouliot ( TO play alongside Staal) although theres an outside shot at drafting his brother Marc...possibly a trade up for Montreal here as his bro is ranked 7 or 8th)

Minnesota - Minnesota is a wild card and needs everything, even a goalie.

Montreal - Bobby Ryan or maybe Anzie Kopitar

I'm thinking this:

PIT: Crosby

ANA: Brulé. Brian Burke likes offense and was based in Vancouver for years.

CAR: Johnson. They need a d-man to built the defense around. Johnson will be a top 3 for sure.

MIN: Ryan. I think Risebrough & Lemaire will lean toward the tough guy over the others.

MTL: Pouliot. This is wishful thinking, but I'd be happy with Ryan or Kopitar.

Being in Sudbury and a season ticket holder Pouliot would be nice at #5. BUT I think he'll go #3 overall behind Crosby and Johnson...........

Kopitar is a bit of a mystery, I wouldn't take him if he was available at #5 I would go with Brule,.........yes he's on the "small" size, but plays big. And with the new rules in place for the upcoming year, he'll have lots of room.

I've seen Ryan a few times, and wasn't too impressed with him.

Why would we need more D? What about our 2 big guys in Hainsey and Komesarick(sp) are they not in the Habs future? Overall our defensive play was good, we need help putting the puck in the net.

Originally posted by kenadian

Why would we need more D? What about our 2 big guys in Hainsey and Komesarick(sp) are they not in the Habs future? Overall our defensive play was good, we need help putting the puck in the net.

D is the Habs weakest point. Souray, Komisarek, and Markov are a great core, and Brisebios and Rivet are good 4-6 guys. Hainsey has never shown any glimmer of becoming a good NHLer and Bouillon is not a top 6 guy. The Habs really need a stud D-man to play the right side.

pls do not waste this pick Gainey. Ive had it with those wasted picks... I want quick talent this time... not wait 3-6 years for the guy to play average. (pls dont draft a swede... they dont leave sweden until they are 27-30 anyway :P)

Recchi - Lemeiux - Crosby

Malkin - Kraft - Malone

Fata - Beech - Koltsov

Abid - Eastwood/Pirjeta - VandenBussche

Tarnstrom - Jackman

Rozsival - Melichar

Orpik - Strbak

Caron

Fleury

Perhaps alittle optimistic... lotta question marks for sure but likely the willingness now to add a UFA free agent or two?!

Zhitnik would be nice, if he doesn't end up in Montreal ?!?!

I thought That lottery was well worth watching! I like ball too and that was way better than the NBA lottery or even draft. I love the smirk Gainey gets on his face when he gets what he wants. Whatta way to begin the 'new ice age' emphasis on player and farm development...

I agree with the above- I hope its not Kopitar if there is any doubt about him - we've got our risky/explosive guy who I strongly support still, in Kastitsyn, I don't think they'll gamble

hehe - trade up with Hossa or Pekanic and ensure Jack Johnson...

halihab

This is about as good as we could have hoped for. Sure it sucks to not get the #1 overall and Crosby... But come on... #5! Thats awesome, especially in a draft as deep as this one is. We'll get a great player in Brule/Johnson/Pouliot/Kopitar (likely one of those 4). I'm hoping for Brule myself, but we'll see what happens.

Isnt it also great that the Bruins/Leafs/Rangers got crappy picks? :D