Retiring numbers

Colin

Apparently, the Habs will be holding retirement parties for two numbers to be put into the rafters on two seperate nights this season.

November 12 and March 11.

There are only rumours so far, but I would guess that Larry Robinson will be on November 12. His Devils play early in the day, and that will leave him enough time to hop a plane to Montreal to get the LONG OVERDUE retirement ceremony.

The other player seems to be up for debate. Perhaps Dryden, or maybe Roy, or Savard... There are plenty of ideas.

Still, assuming Robinson is one, it's about time. A classier guy there was not in the Habs uniform.

Colin

19 & 33 haven't been wore since Robinson & Roy, so I'd think they're already "unofficialy" retired, making them the most-likely picks.

OR...

An old-timer (Dickie Moore?) has health problems and the Habs want to retire his jersey while he's still amongst us (God I hope that's not it.)

I vote for # 11.

I would definiltey say its Robinson with #19 and Moore and Cournoyer with #12. THey make the most sense.

#33 won't be retired till Roy goes into the Hall of Fame as a Montreal Canadien. I think if he chooses the Avalanche jersey Montreal won't officially retire it.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

The way Roy left Montreal, I doubt he'll ever has his # reitred.

i'm totally agree~ there is NO more REASON for us to do that for Roy~ anyway, he got his #33 retiring at Colorado~ that's enough~~~~

and i think that it would be weird to see Roy attending a retiring jersey event at the Bell Center... i mean... Roy was a habs but not anymore~

We all know that Montreal should retire Patrick Roy's 33. What he did for this organization and goaltending in general speaks for itself. It was those losers Tremblay, Houle and Correy who ran Roy out of Montreal. Those were the worst years I have ever experienced as a Habs fan.

Indeed the Trembley, Houle, Correy years were definitley the worst. The absolutley destroyed the franchise, and ten years later it is only just recovering.

And they're mostly to blame for the whole Patrick Roy fiasco, but Montreal won't be retiring his jersey this year anyways. Not till he goes into the hall of fame.

I believe it'll be 12 & 19. Larry Robinson, Yvan Cournoyer and Dickie Moore all deserve it.

Originally posted by kaos

I would definiltey say its Robinson with #19 and Moore and Cournoyer with #12.  THey make the most sense.

#33 won't be retired till Roy goes into the Hall of Fame as a Montreal Canadien.  I think if he chooses the Avalanche jersey Montreal won't officially retire it.

I agree with kaos.. Wait that Roy goes in the HOF with the Habs jersey. You don't want to retire his # and see him on a freaking avs jersey in the HOF :nono:

I dont disagree that Roy desearve his number retired, there are many more though that predate his run that are still to be recognised, Boom Boom from the 60s for one. How about Serge Savard Gainey and Drydan, they did way more for this organisation in the 70s than Roy did in the 90s and didn't play elsewhere. He will get his chance but should be made to wait his turn. Man, some people even had him making a comeback this year. Give him 20 years or so to think about it.

Originally posted by High&Inside

We all know that Montreal should retire Patrick Roy's 33.  What he did for this organization and goaltending in general speaks for itself.  It was those losers Tremblay, Houle and Correy who ran Roy out of Montreal.  Those were the worst years I have ever experienced as a Habs fan.

i couldnt agree with you more. those years were hell for me to

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

19 12 23 18 27 5 21

why retire Roy before Drydan?

I guess I have 2 right already;)

and dead on the Boomer!!

old time hockey

[Edited on 2005/10/15 by johnnyhasbeen]

My 5 picks are:

5- Geoffrion

2nd player ever to score 50 goals, "invented" the slapshot, a great player in his era.

12- Moore/Cournoyer

Moore won the Art-Ross with a broken arm. One of the best LWers of his era.

Cournoyer won 10 Stanley Cups and was a great captain.

19 - Robinson

Member of the "All-Time" Habs team with Doug Harvey. One of the best d-man of his era.

23 - Gainey

Conn-Smythe winner with two seperated shoulders. Forced the NHL to invent the Selke Trophy. Was dubbed by Viktor Thikonov "Best player in the world" and was a great captain too.

33 - Roy

2 Stanley Cups and 2 Conn-Smythes plus a bunch of Vezinas and Jennings. Revolutionized the goaltending position and hockey in general by being the first "franchise goalie" of the current era.

I will state it again, wait 10 years or more for Roy, he is WAY down the list. How can anyone rate him above Dryden? Are you all under 40?

Dryden had 5 Vezinas, Calder,Con Smythe, 5 years 1st all star and 6 Stanley Cups, all with the Habs!!!! Patrick who?

I think roy can wait a few years..geoffrion can't. Mean, the guy's freakin 80 years old

why not make a package.

5's: geoffrion and lapointe and quintal(just kidding!!)

12's dickie moore and cournoyer

as for roy, robinson, dryden they're still guns(realtivly speaking) and they can wait at leats 'till 2009

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

I will state it again, wait 10 years or more for Roy, he is WAY down the list. How can anyone rate him above Dryden? Are you all under 40?

Dryden had 5 Vezinas, Calder,Con Smythe, 5 years 1st all star and 6 Stanley Cups, all with the Habs!!!! Patrick who?

Dryden was great, but Dryden also had about 16 Hall-of-Famers playing in front of him. Much different than the Habs of Roy's era. Roy was the Habs best player during his time.

And those 5 Vezina's Dryden got dont mean that much since they were given for best GAA at that time (before the Jennings), not for best goalie.

Roy won 4 Jennings, 3 Vezinas, 2 Conn-Smythe in 10 seasons with the Habs.

And the impact both had on the game is much different. Roy sparked a whole new philosophy, making some teams build around their goalies. And Roy also gave birth to a whole Quebec wave of goaltenders. Its alot because of Roy that almost half the goalies in the NHL right now are from Quebec.

AP79 is right! Even though I don't believe all these numbers should be retired, just look at what Patrick Roy did for Montreal. Stanley Cups!!! And the defense in front of him was no where near what Montreal had when Dryden was in net.

If anyone deserves a retired number, Patrick does. Just not for a couple of years...He is way too young for that and if they retired his number it would prove I am getting friggin Old..........I remember him when he first came up with the team and watched Dryden play.

Oppps, cannot forget jetsnipers team, Avalanche winning two cups also with him between the pipes. Patrick, Patrick, Patrick!!!!

[Edited on 2005/10/15 by Howie_Morenz]