What were still lacking!

CoRvInA

Here I would like to point out that were getting blasted in some issues and one I've seen everynight .. specially against Boston and the buds was on our FACE OFFs.. Man are we stinkin! Julien has to get them practicing day and night got to at least win 1/2 of them! specially in our own side.. the quick PP goals from Boston ... where our PK teams werent even able to show their stuff was ... You guessed it right after a Face off that we lost! and so on!

Now I feel the Perrault-less syndrome!

:wall:

got get some tapes and teach Bonk Ribeiro and company!

:ghg::nono::nono:

I'm not sure what Bonk's excuse is... wasn't he a pretty good face off man in Ottawa? I'm not sure Ribeiro will ever be very good at face offs, he's not even remotely close to strong enough. Perhaps the solution lies in trying to teach a guy like Ryder to take them.

Originally posted by option+

I'm not sure what Bonk's excuse is... wasn't he a pretty good face off man in Ottawa?  I'm not sure Ribeiro will ever be very good at face offs, he's not even remotely close to strong enough.  Perhaps the solution lies in trying to teach a guy like Ryder to take them.

Strength doesn't have a whole lot to do with faceoffs actually. Its mostly eye to hand co-ordination.

Just look at Yanic Perreault. Generally considered to be the premier faceoff man in the league, and not physical at all.

Ribeiro has very good eye to hand co-ordination, and if he had any drive he could probably practice and become a decent faceoff guy

This thread brings about a good question though. Wouldn't it have been better to have kept Yanic Perreault, and not Pierre Dagenais?

Neither is physical or very fast, but atleast Yanic was usefull for something, winning faceoffs. He also has 3 points this year. 3 more than Pierre has. Oh well, I guess hindsight is always 20-20

Dags has one point, so it's only 2 less than Yanic ;)

And Perreault is making 550k i think this year, but that's only because he was unsigned mid-way thru september and he had to settle.

If we would have kept perreault over dags, alot would have questionned it...firlsty, it would have cost us more, it would have technically jammed the center position.

I still like dags, i just think they should bring in a skating trainer, conditionning coach, etc, some sort of personal trainer for Dags. The guy has great scoring talent, just his overall game needs to be refined immensely..I would hesitate alot to releasing him just yet.

I betcha Perrault isn't making more than a few hundred thousand more and it would have been worth the investment, and since Montreal has plenty of room under the cap, it wouldn't have made a difference. Perreault could play the wing on the fourth line, so a jam a center wouldn't be an issue, and would only play center on important faceoffs.

A skating coach isn't going to help Dagenais at this point in his career. When Zednik comes back, Dagenais is history, unless there happens to be some other injury, and the Habs need a body

This would be something good to concentrate on. As losing a faceoff in the defensive end can be disasterous with the new rules.

Personally I think the team should work on clearing their own end and become the premier team in the league in this category. Just think, the speed of the forwards, with the uncanny ability to keep the puck out of the defensive zone = OFFENSE! Ok, so I like offense, sue me! :)

This is a fun team and just think, they will get better.

we need righthanded fowards...all we got is ryder

we also need jovanovski or pronger but it still alright to dream

seriously, we need quality defense men. some onw to push the others a little. to me, souray become a good bait...considering markov and komisarek untouchable...for now that is

Originally posted by Habby1197

We're not doing that bad on faceoff's actually... Koivu is doing very well too.

Faceoff Stats

Only Ribeiro and Dagenais are having real trouble with them.

[Edited on 10-21-05 by Fanpuck33]

Those stats look suspect to me. I think it seems worse because we've been losing some very important faceoffs (the Toronto game when we were trying to tie it up, for example). Yanic would have come in handy, not just for faceoffs, but also for the important goals he often came through with. Water under the bridge, I guess.

BTW, Doug Jarvis was a pretty good faceoff man in his day. Hopefully he can work with the boys to improve those numbers.

well, our team FO% is 48.7

I'd like to see a breakdown by period or zone, but I'm too lazy to comb through old game sheets.

Bonk's 48% is relatively understandable in that he is usually taking faceoffs against top-line centers.

What really sticks out is Ribeiro's 36%! That's completely inexcusable. Begin is 54% and Ribeiro can't break even?

Plek is a solid 50% (against lesser competition), as long as he's on Rib's line, maybe they should have him take rib's faceoffs. If Ribs faceoffs were coming in at even 45% we would be a +FO% team. Worth a shot.

Originally posted by kaos

I betcha Perrault isn't making more than a few hundred thousand more and it would have been worth the investment, and since Montreal has plenty of room under the cap, it wouldn't have made a difference. Perreault could play the wing on the fourth line, so a jam a center wouldn't be an issue, and would only play center on important faceoffs.

A skating coach isn't going to help Dagenais at this point in his career. When Zednik comes back, Dagenais is history, unless there happens to be some other injury, and the Habs need a body

Why have the best face off man in the league and not have him play center? That's insane. We don't need Perreault but he is an upgrade on Dagenais who drops back at 34% and is just a bad player.

I think that once Souray, Theodore, and Bonk step it up some.... all that we'd really need is a top six forward, and a top 4(preferably top 2) dman. After that wed be set to go all the way to the cup!!!!

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo: