Leetch: McCabe Norris Trophy worthy

BTH

"Leetch: McCabe Norris Trophy worthy

October 24 @ 9:55 AM

Maple Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe's may have received the biggest endorsement ever in his NHL career.

According to the Toronto Star, former Maple Leaf Bryan Leetch said McCabe is the best defenceman in the league as well as the best defenceman he has ever played with.

"I think (McCabe) can win the Norris Trophy and he's the best player I've played with in my career as a partner," Leetch told the Star. "I was hoping that I would be able to play with him and help him gain that distinction and have a small part in it, but he obviously didn't need me because he's on his way anyway.""

-Sportsnet.ca

This article is garbage. I can't believe Leetch (one of the greatest defencemen of the decade) considers McCabe the best d-man in the league. No wonder the media's crazy in TO.

[Edited on 2005/11/9 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

"Leetch: McCabe Norris Trophy worthy

October 24 @ 9:55 AM

Maple Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe's may have received the biggest endorsement ever in his NHL career.

According to the Toronto Star, former Maple Leaf Bryan Leetch said McCabe is the best defenceman in the league as well as the best defenceman he has ever played with.

"I think (McCabe) can win the Norris Trophy and he's the best player I've played with in my career as a partner," Leetch told the Star. "I was hoping that I would be able to play with him and help him gain that distinction and have a small part in it, but he obviously didn't need me because he's on his way anyway.""

-Sportsnet.ca

This article is garbage. I can't believe Leetch (one of the greatest defencemen of the decade) considers McCabe the best d-man in the league. No wonder the media's crazy.

Leech should hang them up as all that checking he receives has made him STUPID! Mccabe is not bad but BEST? hahahahahahaahhahahahahahaahahahhaahahhahaahhahahaahhahaahhahaahhahaahahah

HA!

sorry to break the party but if he keeps on playing like that, he will be considered....but let'S wait till march before speculating

Originally posted by marky_and_komi

sorry to break the party but if he keeps  on playing like that, he will be considered....but let'S wait till march before speculating

Isn't he like minus-6 in his last few games with only 1 point. Maybe it's changed now.

And even at this pace McCabe is nowhere near the best in the league. Best in Toronto maybe. He can block shots and is a decent point man but definitely not elite. Has he ever even made Team USA?

Originally posted by marky_and_komi

sorry to break the party but if he keeps  on playing like that, he will be considered....but let'S wait till march before speculating

he's projecting at like -25 on the year.

but I know whatcha mean.

Leaf or not, I think McCabe is playing really well and would definitely be considered amonst the league's top Dmen if the season ended today. If remains to be seen where he will stand at the end of the season, but I don't see any "evident" reason why he won't keep it up and have a great year.

If McCabe were on our team would he even be a top pairing guy? And we have a notoriously weak (though it is underrated) defence.

He's scoring points but he's a defenceman and that means defence. If all he can do is score then he should become a forward. He has a bad plus/minus and is letting guys breeze by him like the Breezer himself. It's only defensive, big, stay-at-homers who win the Norris like Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger and Rob Blake. Not Sergei Gonchar.

McCabe is having a better season than he usually has but of all teams to have an undiscovered force on their team that the media doesn't know about, it's not Toronto or we would have heard Norris rumours a LONG time ago.

Norris doesn't always go to the top defensive dman (Paul Coffey anyone). It goes to the dman who was the most dominant (and that also means offense). Don't know how we can consider that if the season ended today, McCabe would not be considered.

[Edited on 2005/11/9 by Rooster]

Originally posted by Mont Royale

He's been very good offensively, but is still prone to major defensive lapses.  If you judge your defenceman by number of points, he'd win, but I think there are choices out there who are better defensively.

100% correct. Yes he is a good defenceman, better than most of what the leaves have. His big hangup is that he really cannot play "DEFENCE". I know contradiction but watch this guy when good players go to the net. He gets beat, takes a penalty or tries his can-opener trick which is illegal now.

To think he is one of the best now or ever really makes the award very very STINKY.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

McCabe will on Team Canada because Quinn is the coach. He and Gretzky think it's better to do what's best for there teams than whats best for the country. So typical.

If that's their strategy, it seems to be working.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

McCabe will on Team Canada because Quinn is the coach. He and Gretzky think it's better to do what's best for there teams than whats best for the country. So typical.

Uh, if thats the case then where was McCabe for the World Cup? I remember the huge outrage from Leaf fans that McCabe wasn't even considered for the team. Team management said they went with who they thought was the best and McCabe wasn't in that group.

Let's assume for the sake of this conversation that he's among the elite of the league. (I'm not arguing for or against that proposition)

Assuming that he is among the elite of the league who is the one who drafted him and how does McCabe's development on another team fit in with this gm's drafted player development record? :?-:eyes:

mcpivot is not a Dman. Sure he pops a few points but he is a huge defensive liability. With the firepower Team Canada can ice on the offense they do not need an overrated wad like mcpivot. Sadly quimm is a shill, he proved it with cusieve and he'll prove it again. Also, can anyone explain how oneil,lindros,allsion get named to the trial roster? Pure leaf bj'ing.

Well, Lindros is putting in some points.

Allison is showing some signs of his old self. He has random bursts of speed and regains his ability to stickhandle for short spurts.

And O'Neill used to be good.

But they named 81 players to that list. It's very possible that all 3 are in the 81 best players of Canada. If Ryder and SOuray can make that list, a lot of people can.

Originally posted by Rooster

Norris doesn't always go to the top defensive dman (Paul Coffey anyone). It goes to the dman who was the most dominant (and that also means offense). Don't know how we can consider that if the season ended today, McCabe would not be considered.

1st of all he's not Chara, who has to place way above him for domination

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

1st of all he's not Chara, who has to place way above him for domination

The man is currently on pace for a season of over 100 points. All I'm saying is that if the season ended today, he would most definitely get consideration for the Norris based on his offensive production alone. He might slack off and dispear for the rest of the season, but I don't know why we should take that as a given. So when, today, we look at dmen who would get consideration, McCabe has got to be up there.

Consideration..maybe because of his points, but that's it. The guy stinks defensively (-5) and gets most of his points on the PP. He is more a liability tahn an asset on 5 vs. 5.

Don't forget that the Olympics are played under the International rules which are like the old NHL rules. McCabe is worthless under these rules...

Also, we need reliable defensemen at the Olympics if you take into account our offensive power upfront. More over, we have plenty of canadian defensemen that are both strong offensively and defensively, so no thanks to that one dimensial joke that the Maple Laffs Nation wants as a Norris winner.

Don't forget that even Quinn mentionned a couple of days ago that McCabe needs to be more reliable in his own end.

If anyone of you thinks that he as a shot at the Norris or making the Olympic team, then you are having a serious acid trip...:guru:

Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Consideration..maybe because of his points, but that's it. [...] If anyone of you thinks that he as a shot at the Norris or making the Olympic team, then you are having a serious acid trip...:guru:

The last part of your post needs to talk to the first:)

Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Consideration..maybe because of his points, but that's it. [...] If anyone of you thinks that he as a shot at the Norris or making the Olympic team, then you are having a serious acid trip...:guru:

The last part of your post needs to talk to the first:)

Consideration as in "is name was thought of because of is points", like a dozen guys would be considered for whatever reasons, but as no shot at the trophy as in "having a real realistic shot".

Its not because you are considered (among many other players) that you have a realistic shot at a trophy. There are a couple of guys way ahead of him that he has no chance of winning.

Does the name Joni Pitkanen ring a bell. I have him in a pool and this guy is awesome. 4 goals, 11 assits and a NHL league leading +16. Now that is a real Norris trophy candidate.

[Edited on 2005/11/10 by Komisarek the Cruncher]

[Edited on 2005/11/10 by Komisarek the Cruncher]