6:16 PM - January 30, 2022 - Price Speaks

GHT120

sorry, he had 5 goals and 10 points in 42 NHL games in his first sting.... 10 goal 20 point pace is not terrible for a rookie but yeah he needed more time. 

Then he went to learn under Lefebvre and learned nothing apparently and went backwards fast.  

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

sorry, he had 5 goals and 10 points in 42 NHL games in his first sting.... 10 goal 20 point pace is not terrible for a rookie but yeah he needed more time. 

Then he went to learn under Lefebvre and learned nothing apparently and went backwards fast.  

More alarming is the collapse in his AHL production. 22 points in 31 games in 2012, 18 points in 62 games in 2013. The big change was the coach.

Now maybe he got spoiled by preliminary success, showed up to Hamilton out of shape and sulky. But those are typical "young player" growing pains...the fact that he never climbed out of the hole he fell into may well be the fault of shi*ty player development under Lefebvre. After all, there is more reason to suspect that Leblanc could have amounted to something than to think that Lefebvre was a competent coach.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

LeBlanc and Kreider were ranked "side-by-side" right where they were drafted ... it was not a reach to take LL per the rankings ... it just didn't work out.

From what I remember of that draft year, Kreider was said to be a power winger with speed, and LeBlanc was a centre with below average skating, and good vision. Back than from McKenzie's and a couple of other write-ups I preferred Kreider- I didn’t see either play, but he seemed more appealing - unless of course the French background came into play. We generally drafted slow lumbering players when we went for size, and Kreider had both, and we have lacked a true power forward since forever. I would have thought after going lumbering grunts like turner stevenson, and Terry Ryan, getting a power forward that could skate should have been a no brainer.

they compounded the mistake by getting him to turn pro too early, when working on his skating and size/strength would have benefited him in college.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Again, Kreider in his draft season was playing high school hockey at a school that had 0 games on TV, streamed, etc....  Unless you showed up to watch him in person, you didn't see him play. 

Anyone who isn't an NHL scout and claims they saw Kreider prior to that either

1) attended a high school hockey game in connecticut for some reason. 

2) is misremembering.  Its been a long time but if you remember him in college or at the World Juniors, you are actually remembering him after he was drafted. 

or 3) is lying.

So all these people who claim they knew this should have been the pick are either using hindsight or are extremely rare as far as hockey fans go. 

Like I said in the earlier post, I went by what I read in scouting reports at the time, and Kreider was more appealing to me. 
Gainey had a lot of slow but bodies he drafted (Tinordi), and when he had a chance to get a guy with speed, size and, skill, to draft the local kid. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Lots of young players come out doing good to okay, but I don’t see the point in rushing a draft pick in unless they are a generational player, or a top pick. We’ve rushed players too often, after the Ribeiro experience we should have known better. 

but yeah, Lefebve will is one of the major reasons why MB development era was a failure, and where we are today.  And that is entirely on MB.