6:16 PM - January 30, 2022 - Price Speaks

GHT120

Carey Price will meet the media via Zoom at 6:16p.m. ET.

The Habs are underplaying this slightly ... the above-noted is buried in tonight's game preview ... it was the only reference I could find on the website

I figure there will be a little bit of discussion on whatever he says so decided to create a stand-alone thread.

Quick highlights:

- Price is thankful for asking for help.

- Price wants to come back, the next two weeks will be crucial in determining whether he can return this season or not.

- No intention of shutting things down for good if there's another setback.

- Wants to stay in Montreal.

• Like 1

Pretty honest performance from Price. In addition to the above, it was interesting to hear him admit that the future is uncertain (including the possibility that he may never play again), while he clearly regards NOT playing as basically unthinkable at this point. He will keep on rehabbing no matter what. His honest admission to anxiety and doubt about whether he can return to his old form was a refreshing admission of vulnerability.

He made multiple references to the crushing disappointment of the Finals. He’s still not over that, clearly, and a desire to get back at it appears to be driven in part by a desire to put that disappointment behind him. (It must be worse for Weber, who has no hope of getting back at it, and so has no more hockey available to drive away the bitterness of that outcome).

As fans, we can always look to the future, 4, 5 years down the line like we’re doing with talk of the rebuild. For a player in his 30s, the future is narrowing tunnel. Losing in the Finals becomes a life sentence of regret.

The other thing is that he played the playoff on a knee that needed surgery, and knew it. As with Weber, you wonder whether putting himself through that may have compounded the damage. 

It was nice to see him again. The man is a great Montreal Canadien.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Quick highlights:

- Price is thankful for asking for help.

- Price wants to come back, the next two weeks will be crucial in determining whether he can return this season or not.

- No intention of shutting things down for good if there's another setback.

- Wants to stay in Montreal.

So in another words, no surprises, or anything that we wouldn’t have expected him to say.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pretty honest performance from Price. In addition to the above, it was interesting to hear him admit that the future is uncertain (including the possibility that he may never play again), while he clearly regards NOT playing as basically unthinkable at this point. He will keep on rehabbing no matter what. His honest admission to anxiety and doubt about whether he can return to his old form was a refreshing admission of vulnerability.

He made multiple references to the crushing disappointment of the Finals. He’s still not over that, clearly, and a desire to get back at it appears to be driven in part by a desire to put that disappointment behind him. (It must be worse for Weber, who has no hope of getting back at it, and so has no more hockey available to drive away the bitterness of that outcome).

As fans, we can always look to the future, 4, 5 years down the line like we’re doing with talk of the rebuild. For a player in his 30s, the future is narrowing tunnel. Losing in the Finals becomes a life sentence of regret.

The other thing is that he played the playoff on a knee that needed surgery, and knew it. As with Weber, you wonder whether putting himself through that may have compounded the damage. 

It was nice to see him again. The man is a great Montreal Canadien.

Ok.I didn’t have a chance to hear the conference, so there was a lot more depth to his message than what I would have expected.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Id really shut him down for the year after hearing that.  Come back 100% in the fall

100% agree. Why do the stop and go, just do necessary rehab for the knee, but don’t push anything to try and play goal this year.

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Id really shut him down for the year after hearing that.  Come back 100% in the fall

Ideally I agree ... but it may somewhat depend on what Price and Hughes plan to do ... *****IF***** their plan is a trade, or to buy out or mutually terminate Price's contract (the three POSSIBLE options other than Price staying in Montreal) then Price needs to show he can still play in order to get another gig.

If the knee is recovered, then it makes sense for him to come back this year. Not only would Price clearly not have it any other way, be he’d get some reps, see where he’s at, and maybe develop confidence in the knee - or else discern where he needs to adjust his technique in order to work with it. That will be valuable information for him to have going into next season. 

If the knee is not as good as it’s going to get (I doubt it will ever be 100% again, too much mileage), then of course he should not return. Take the summer and finish rehabbing. 

As bad as his contract is, I want to see him play again. The idea of his knee just not making it back is bloody depressing.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If the knee is recovered, then it makes sense for him to come back this year. Not only would Price clearly not have it any other way, be he’d get some reps, see where he’s at, and maybe develop confidence in the knee - or else discern where he needs to adjust his technique in order to work with it. That will be valuable information for him to have going into next season. 

If the knee is not as good as it’s going to get (I doubt it will ever be 100% again, too much mileage), then of course he should not return. Take the summer and finish rehabbing. 

As bad as his contract is, I want to see him play again. The idea of his knee just not making it back is bloody depressing.

I agree, if healthy he will want to test it out to see where he is.  Price is a competitor, he will be back this year, hopefully the rehab goes well this time.  

Thanks for the comments, couldn’t watch/hear media scrum ... helping move my in-laws 

I hope that he comes back this season too, like some have said; it would help prepare his off-season training 

5 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I hate Chris Kreider! 😢

So do I, bad memories for a lot of reasons.  In the 2009 draft Habs took Louis Leblanc at 18, Ranger took Kreider at 19,  Louis scored 5 NHL goals, Kreider a lot. 

Plus if the Habs took Kreider then Price likely doesn't get hurt in the playoffs that year and maybe.... 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

So do I, bad memories for a lot of reasons.  In the 2009 draft Habs took Louis Leblanc at 18, Ranger took Kreider at 19,  Louis scored 5 NHL goals, Kreider a lot. 

Plus if the Habs took Kreider then Price likely doesn't get hurt in the playoffs that year and maybe.... 

That was the media darling pick. The draft was in Montreal and that was to please the fan's and media. 

16 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

That was the media darling pick. The draft was in Montreal and that was to please the fan's and media. 

I wonder who the media darling will be this time around... 🤫

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

What I remember is that the experts pretty much agreed that it was a good pick. 

It's easy to retroactively pretend it was OBVIOUS Kreider was a better prospect than Leblanc, but that was not the consensus position at all at the time, if memory serves.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's easy to retroactively pretend it was OBVIOUS Kreider was a better prospect than Leblanc, but that was not the consensus position at all at the time, if memory serves.

Again, Kreider in his draft season was playing high school hockey at a school that had 0 games on TV, streamed, etc....  Unless you showed up to watch him in person, you didn't see him play. 

Anyone who isn't an NHL scout and claims they saw Kreider prior to that either

1) attended a high school hockey game in connecticut for some reason. 

2) is misremembering.  Its been a long time but if you remember him in college or at the World Juniors, you are actually remembering him after he was drafted. 

or 3) is lying.

So all these people who claim they knew this should have been the pick are either using hindsight or are extremely rare as far as hockey fans go. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think Leblanc (not 100% sure, it was a while ago) was rated as a later 1st round pick so it was easy for Montreal to pick the local boy. They likely would have been heavily criticized if they didn't pick him so at the time it seemed reasonable. 

Not saying it was obvious that Kreider was a better prospect. It likely wasn't at the time. It's a crapshoot drafting 18 year old guys especially when you are drafting mid to late first round.  I only pointed it out to show how things would have been different had Montreal drafted Kreider not only because he turned out to be a good player but also because if Montreal had drafted him (or perhaps another team) then Price likely doesn't get hurt and they probably beat the Rangers and go to the cup final that year. Kudos to the Rangers for seeing the potential, I don't like Kreider but he is a very good player. 

Media can influence things when things are close. 

We are going to be picking top 5 depending on end of season and lottery results.  I don't see any french players in that mix, so anyone the media is pushing wouldn't be for that pick. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Media can influence things when things are close. 

We are going to be picking top 5 depending on end of season and lottery results.  I don't see any french players in that mix, so anyone the media is pushing wouldn't be for that pick. 

Agreed, I don't see any French Canadian players in the "consensus" top 10 so Gorton/Hughes won't feel any constraints with the Habs 1st pick.  

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Leblanc (not 100% sure, it was a while ago) was rated as a later 1st round pick so it was easy for Montreal to pick the local boy. They likely would have been heavily criticized if they didn't pick him so at the time it seemed reasonable ...

LeBlanc and Kreider were ranked "side-by-side" right where they were drafted ... it was not a reach to take LL per the rankings ... it just didn't work out.

59 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

LeBlanc and Kreider were ranked "side-by-side" right where they were drafted ... it was not a reach to take LL per the rankings ... it just didn't work out.

I still say Leblanc is an example of how bad coaching can ruin a prospect. 

He did well in the AHL in 2011-12.  Then he got called up... and in a lost season Leblanc had 7 goals and 14 points in half a year at the NHL level.   Randy Cunneyworth seemed to be developing him well. 

Then Cunneyworth was gone (we know why) and Leblanc went back to the AHL (rightly so, he needed a bit more seasoning) and after two years with Sylvain Lefebvre regressed to the point that he couldn't even make the AHL lineup when they were fully healthy.  How does a kid go that far backwards in two years?

I don't think Cunneyworth was a great coach, he was decent in the AHL at development though, but Lefebvre was a disaster. 

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I still say Leblanc is an example of how bad coaching can ruin a prospect. 

He did well in the AHL in 2011-12.  Then he got called up... and in a lost season Leblanc had 7 goals and 14 points in half a year at the NHL level.   Randy Cunneyworth seemed to be developing him well. 

Then Cunneyworth was gone (we know why) and Leblanc went back to the AHL (rightly so, he needed a bit more seasoning) and after two years with Sylvain Lefebvre regressed to the point that he couldn't even make the AHL lineup when they were fully healthy.  How does a kid go that far backwards in two years?

I don't think Cunneyworth was a great coach, he was decent in the AHL at development though, but Lefebvre was a disaster. 

That's a great point. Earlier today I went and looked back at Leblanc's career and noticed that he went from a 60-point AHL pace in 2012 to a 24-point pace in 2013. That also jibes with my recollection that he looked promising in his first call-up (2012) - I remember thinking he looked like he had the potential to be a solid, stabilizing 3rd-line C - and completely useless in his second one. This is a guy whose career took a downward spiral in a single season and never recovered.

Who knows what really happened? But it is certainly reasonable to speculate that a proven incompetent coach in Lefebvre badly mishandled him.