Game Thread | Canadiens Vs. Carolina | 01/23/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Bulis is one of the few habs that actually deserves to play 20 minutes. His speed with the Kov and kost would nice to see. Ribiero would take his spot for the power play. Bulis would kill penalties. I also thought he looked pretty good at center.

If he's skating tonight, the #47 on your TV-screen will be our newest member, Aaron Downey.

Edited by mathieu30

Kostitsyn Koivu Kovalev

Higgins Bonk Ryder

Bulis Plekanec Begin

Sundstrom Ribeiro Downey

If Higgins doesn't play then we're forced to use Zednik and everything is ruined. I'd rather see Bulis as 4th line center than 1st line LW. As a center, he can keep a second line job. As a LW, his offensive upside is crippled and he's nothing more than a checker. Begin and Sundstrom can also trade as well as Zednik and Sundstrom. I'm not sure if Downey has arrived in Carolina yet but if he has then I expect him to play.

EDIT: With Plekanec in the picture than Bulis is moved to LW and Ferland is scratched. I don't see much point in putting a guy like Zednik on the 4th line so I'd stick with Sundstrom there. These are solid lines which reward the guys who are showing up to games with icetime. If Higgins doesn't play then the left wings go like this:

Kostitsyn

Bulis

Zednik

Sundstrom

Guys isn't Plekanec going down toHamilton for the conditioning stint? How can he be back before even playing 1 game?

Plekanec played in two games for the Bulldogs.

No points, but apparently he was playing well and looked healthy.

Plekanec played in two games for the Bulldogs.

No points, but apparently he was playing well and looked healthy.

Really? I watched a game this week and he wasn't back yet. Anyways, it's great to here that he's back. Limited minutes of course. I'll edit my lines.

Really? I watched a game this week and he wasn't back yet. Anyways, it's great to here that he's back. Limited minutes of course. I'll edit my lines.

Manitoba Versus Hamilton: Jan, 21: Plekanec - 0 G's, 0 A's, even, 4 shots, 0 PIM's.

Toronto Versus Hamilton: Jan, 22: Plekanec - 0 G's, 0 A's, even, 5 shots, 2 PIM's.

Sorry, I can't find the ice time.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4691

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Hurricanes

RALEIGH - The Canadiens will look to get back on track tonight against the Hurricanes after dropping their sixth straight road game with a 6-2 loss to the Canucks Saturday night. It was the first time since Nov. 24, 1993 against the Flyers that Montreal had allowed six goals in a single period.

Bob Gainey’s squad can take comfort in the fact that the RBC Center has been good to them in recent visits. Prior to the Canadiens’ 5-3 loss to the Hurricanes on New Year’s Eve, Montreal had not suffered a regulation defeat in Carolina over its 10 previous visits (4-0-4-2).

The Hurricanes, who had their nine-game winning streak snapped Saturday in Washington at the hands of Alexander Ovechkin and Capitals, will be aiming to extend another streak tonight against Montreal. Already riding a franchise-record seven game winning streak on home ice, Peter Laviolette’s crew will also be trying to keep pace with the Eastern Conference co-leading Ottawa Senators.

Tonight’s showdown with the former Hartford Whalers will also provide a preview of what to expect when the Canadiens return home from their six-game road odyssey, as they’ll once again face the Hurricanes next Tuesday at the Bell Centre.

20/20: By having a hand in both Montreal goals Saturday against the Canucks, Craig Rivet surpassed the 20-point mark for the third time of his 11-year NHL career. In doing so, he also matched his career high in assists set in 2001-02, when he also had 17 helpers. The 31-year-old, whose average ice-time of 23:45 ranks second behind only Andrei Markov, will be leaned on more than ever with Markov sidelined by a shoulder injury for the next couple of weeks. Rivet is also only four points away from his career-high of 25.

Tough act to follow: The Hurricanes just had their second nine-game winning streak of the season snapped and history suggests that Carolina fans shouldn't start planning their Stanley Cup parade route just yet. Only four other teams have ever had a pair of nine-game winning streaks in one season including the Canadiens (1943-44), the Bruins (1929-30 and 1970-71) and the Red Wings (1995-96), with the Canadiens being the only team to win the Stanley Cup that same year.

A Whale of a time: Four current Canadiens will forever have the Whalers/Hurricanes on their career resumes. Alex Kovalev made his first NHL game a memorable one by scoring his first NHL goal in a 5-2 Rangers loss to the Whalers on Oct. 12, 1992. Jose Theodore made his NHL debut on Feb. 21, 1996 in a 5-3 loss to the Hurricanes in a game where a 19-year-old Theodore played a total of 8:58 in relief of starter Pat Jablonski. Former New York Ranger Niklas Sundstrom played his first NHL game on Oct. 7, 1995 in Hartford. While still with the L.A. Kings, Cristobal Huet stopped all 30 shots in a 0-0 tie in Carolina on March 15, 2003 for his first NHL career shutout.

Manny Almela is a writer for canadiens.com

4691_3.jpg

Michael Ryder has five points in five career games against the Hurricanes, including a goal their first meeting of the season on New Year's Eve.

who is Downey?

Where's he from?

Par ailleurs, on a appris que l'attaquant Garth Murray, victime d'une dislocation de l'épaule droite, samedi, sera absent pour une période indéterminée.

rds.ca

Out for at least 2 weeks Id say!

DOwney is in the heavyweith thread, shortie. Pleky looks sharp - hit the post.

Question of the Night:

What the heck is Gainey doing with his lines? He's trying to wake everyone up, of course but he promoted all the slackers and all the hardworkers have been demoted.

ZEDNIK-Koivu-Kovalev

Bulis-Bonk-SUNDSTROM

Begin-RIBEIRO-RYDER

KOSTITSYN-Plekanec-Downey

The caps are the ones who have been demoted/promoted needlessly. Kosty and Zeddy should switch and so should Sundstrom and Ryder. But if Gainey wants to try waking Zednik up then this is what to do. It's said that Zednik can only play with Koivu and Kovalev. I have a feeling this is his last chance.