MSL Extended Through 26-27 Season

GHT120

" The Canadiens have chosen to exercise the option on Martin St-Louis' contract for two more seasons.
The head coach will be back for the next three seasons. "

A good sign to do it, bit stability i suppose and get any speculation out of way.

I dont have any big complaints about his coaching so far, giving Hutson & Mailloux so much icetime was unexpected but i liked it.

12 minutes ago, DON said:

A good sign to do it, bit stability i suppose and get any speculation out of way.

I dont have any big complaints about his coaching so far, giving Hutson & Mailloux so much icetime was unexpected but i liked it.

Hughes did say he will be talking with MSL and then the assistants in the days to come ... when asked about adding experience to the coaching staff he said it was something that he and MSL will discuss ... sounds open to the possibility ... suppose it could also be in te context of a consult (i.e., not behind the bench).

It's not my money, so fine by me. But I would observe that, while MSL has made an excellent case for himself as a developmental coach, we still have zero evidence of how effective he will be in coaching a team that is expected to win hockey games. 

I love the idea of him as a defining feature of an entire, sustained era of glory, like Babcock in Detroit (minus the pathologies), but the odds strongly suggest that he will be fired long before his term ends. 

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... while MSL has made an excellent case for himself as a developmental coach, we still have zero evidence of how effective he will be in coaching a team that is expected to win hockey games. 

My sense is that HuGo are at least a season away from expecting the Habs to win ... Hughes said he expects improvement next season, and accepted (what choice does he really have) Molson's "in the mix" characterization, but also said he doesn't know how much of an improvement to expect in 24/25.

*** IF *** they were to find they need to make a change next summer or the year after, the extra year or two provides stability in the interim and a "bonus" for his good work in the early part of the rebuild process ... also, he could well then move into the front office (developmental role as a future GM?) ... as you said, it's not our money ... and there is no management cap in the NHL.