Gambling Scandal Erupts

smon

EWING, N.J. (AP) - Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach Rick Tocchet is accused of financing a U.S. sports gambling ring in which about a half-dozen current NHL players placed bets, authorities said Tuesday.

Tocchet, a former NHL star, was served with a criminal complaint Monday and was expected to travel from his Arizona home to answer charges of promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy, state police Col. Rick Fuentes said.

Fuentes said an investigation into the New Jersey-based ring discovered the processing of more than 1,000 wagers, exceeding $1.7 million US, on professional and college sports, mostly football and basketball. He declined to identify the NHL players who made wagers, but said none bet on hockey.

Authorities allege Tocchet and state police Trooper James J. Harney were partners in the operation, and that the ex-NHL forward provided the financing.

Messages left with the Coyotes were not immediately returned. The Coyotes were home Tuesday night against Chicago.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly addressed the news with a statement released by the league.

"We have just become aware of the allegations against Mr. Tocchet and the possible involvement of some unnamed players," it read.

"While we know little more than has been released publicly, we understand that Mr. Tocchet's conduct in no way involved betting on hockey. And, while betting on football or other sports may be the pervasive issue, it in no way justifies poor judgment or otherwise alleged inappropriate conduct. "With respect to the alleged conduct of the unnamed players, it is difficult to have any comment at this point, although everything we have heard, again, indicates it is not hockey-related. We take this issue very seriously and will monitor the proceedings closely."

Tocchet, one of three associate coaches on the Coyotes' staff, took over the head coaching duties for 10 days in December while Wayne Gretzky was away to be with his dying mother.

Tocchet, 41, played 18 years with six NHL teams, including three seasons with the Coyotes from 1997 to 2000. He spent most of his career with the Philadelphia Flyers, from 1984 to 1992 and again in 2001-02. He is one of only two players in NHL history to record 400 career goals and 2,000 penalty minutes.

A native of Toronto, Tocchet was a junior star in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., before being drafted by Philadelphia 125th overall in 1983.

Harney, 40, was arrested Monday and has been suspended from the force. The eight-year police veteran was charged in an arrest warrant with official misconduct, promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy. Another man accused of taking bets is James A. Ulmer, 40, who was charged with promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy.

Both men were free after posting 10 per cent of their bail. Harney had $100,000 bail; Ulmer had $50,000 bail. The two men were expected to be arraigned in state Superior Court in Burlington County within two weeks.

The state police investigation into the ring started in October 2005 after authorities received a tip. A trooper acting undercover was used to place bets, Fuentes said.

Over the course of the investigation, state police found wagers placed by about half a dozen current NHL players and from someone Fuentes described as a ''movie celebrity,'' all of whom have been interviewed as part of the investigation. Fuentes did not disclose their names, saying the investigation was ongoing.

Fuentes said the hockey players bet on football and basketball games, not hockey.

The gambling ring had a connection with organized crime in Philadelphia and southern New Jersey, Fuentes said.

He said charges against more individuals were possible.

Wow! Never saw this coming. A related TSN article claims that one NHL owner was part of this gambling ring.

It's clear one of the sports they didnt bet on was hockey..But still...Is Rick Tocchet the Pete Rose of hockey? :mellow:

Edited by smon

Well this is not very surprising people from all walks of life enjoy betting on sports and where there is a will there is a way. I am sure there are a ton of athletes from all sports that bet on spots legally and illegally, it is a shame they got caught because this will be blown out of proportion by the US media to continue their attempt to darken the image of hockey.

If Recchi gets in trouble than the Pens have lost 3 of their 4 veterans in 1 month. I'm sure that if Recchi goes, Leclair will give up and retire. At the start of the season people were saying Pittsburgh would make the playoffs because of all the new guys. Now their best player is gone and their leader is gone. Recchi leaving wouldn't hurt the Pens though because he's too old to be in their plans and the team will finish bottom 2 with or without him.

Man, never would've expected it from a guy like Tocchet. He was an assistant coach with the Avs for a couple season before he had a disagreement with Granato after the 03-04 season and quit. Always seemed like a stand-up guy.

Come on this dose not make Tocchet a monster by any stretch. People gamble. Who cares? In some places its legal in others its not. Although he was possibly part of this ring and it was illegal IMO it is no big deal. If he lived in Canada he could bet on sports legally.

Yes he should know better but I believe there are different levels of illegal

Robbing a bank is stealing, people willingly gamble.

I don’t believe crimes are comparable that is similar to comparing a bar fight and planning and executing a murder.

Do you jay walk, play poker with your buddies, speed.... it is all illegal I participate in all three. People do illegal things IMO if you are not hurting anyone and is something that is in a grey area in the modern world since gambling is legal in so many places but illegal in many others.

Edited by JMMR

Do you jay walk, play poker with your buddies, speed.... it is all illegal I participate in all three. People do illegal things IMO if you are not hurting anyone and is something that is in a grey area in the modern world since gambling is legal in so many places but illegal in many others.

And don't forget LimeWire and al that stuff. But still - if it's against the law then don't do it. When you're famous then you have to pay even more attention to following the law because every little thing will be magnified by the press. Just like Kovalchuk repeatedly using an illegal stick - it might be a bad rule but he should follow it because he'll just get caught again and again. A rule's a rule.

Come on this dose not make Tocchet a monster by any stretch. People gamble. Who cares? In some places its legal in others its not. Although he was possibly part of this ring and it was illegal IMO it is no big deal. If he lived in Canada he could bet on sports legally.

In theory I agree. He's not hurting me or anyone I know so who cares. However they are saying he financed the whole deal which could come under the RICCO statute. That could be very serious and he could be facing a long prison term. That would be typical of the americans and their right wing ways. It could really turn out to be a tragedy and ruin a guy who from what I understand is a great guy. How come Gretzky is around these guys but never involved? (Mcnall)

Haha, actually, No no and no. ;)

And don't forget LimeWire and al that stuff. But still - if it's against the law then don't do it. When you're famous then you have to pay even more attention to following the law because every little thing will be magnified by the press. Just like Kovalchuk repeatedly using an illegal stick - it might be a bad rule but he should follow it because he'll just get caught again and again. A rule's a rule.

Actually, p2p programs in Canada aren't illegal. The government made some kind of ruling on it back in Spring of 04. We're free to download as much as we want. I think you're allowed to download the stuff but you can't upload it.

LOL

When you're downloading, you're uploading from someone else - it's either they're both legal or none of them are legal.

I watched Fan 590 last night and Rob Becker said that if Tocchet gets convicted he's in for 10 years in prison, in New Jersey. The law in New Jersey is that you must stay for atleast a third of your sentence before being parolled. So Tocchet is in for atleast 3 and a third years in prison.

hey is theo involved? I mean his family are involved in loan sharking. Maybe he's been betting against us? ITS A JOKE ok maybe a bad one

No Quebecois involved. We got Mise-au-Jeu already! :P

I wonder if Tocchet will be cell-mate with Mike Danton...

"Pssst, Rick? Wanna get your bookie killed? I know some guy..."

ok...

having a P2P program is not illegal... it's like owning a pipe.

Acquiring unlicensed intellectual property is illegal.... it's like pot.

Downloading unlicensed intellectual property via a P2P program, it's like smoking pot in your pipe.

Now here is the complicated part, having a P2P for the purpose of downloading unlicensed IP is an element of attempted piracy- it is basically intent to steal. So you can have limewire, but not so that you can download that no doubt CD you love so much... even if you never are able to find it.

Note that it's just A purpose... limewire is still illegal if you are generally downloading public domain stuff but also use it sometimes to get unlicensed stuff.

The law recognizes a distinct difference between different crimes - that is why we award different punishments. Of course Jaywalking is less than murder. You get a $25 fine for jaywalking and 25-life for murder. Obviously society recognizes the difference.

Now not all relative punishment scales work out too well, but as a general rule we tend to punish worse things at a greater rate.

I personally am not too crazy about gambling as a moral and societal matter, although I can find it fun at times. I probably shouldn't drink as much either...

2 important questions:

1) is gambling sufficiently dangerous to the gambler that the govt needs to prohibit or curtail it?

2) is gambling sufficiently dangerous to the non-gambler that the govt needs to prohibit or curtail it.

Generally most people require a much higher standard for part 1 than part 2. However, we totally enact laws in furtherance of part 1 (and correctly so).For instance, we don't usually allow people to buy like morphine pills since it is far too easy to become an addict or worse, accidentally OD.

Gambling can also have an addictive quality... but how detrimental is it? You can lose all your money and go into debt, which will either a) make you a burden on the state or B) put you in danger (think bookies and loansharks). Is Tocchet's ring of this magnitude? Is Tocchet's ring a gateway drug? I have no idea.

Now there are people... probably the great majority of people who can gamble without encountering any of these problems, or to a very low degree... much like alcohol.... or even cocaine. However, I guess everyone has to decide where we set the bar.

ok...

having a P2P program is not illegal... it's like owning a pipe.

Acquiring unlicensed intellectual property is illegal.... it's like pot.

Downloading unlicensed intellectual property via a P2P program, it's like smoking pot in your pipe.

Now here is the complicated part, having a P2P for the express or primary purpose of downloading unlicensed IP is an element of attempted piracy- it is basically intent to steal. So you can have limewire, but not so that you can download that no doubt CD you love so much... even if you never are able to find it.

The law recognizes a distinct difference between different crimes - that is why we award different punishments. Of course Jaywalking is less than murder. You get a $25 fine for jaywalking and 25-life for murder. Obviously society recognizes the difference.

Now not all relative punishment scales work out too well, but as a general rule we tend to punish worse things at a greater rate.

I personally am not too crazy about gambling as a moral and societal matter, although I can find it fun at times. I probably shouldn't drink as much either...

2 important questions:

1) is gambling sufficiently dangerous to the gambler that the govt needs to prohibit or curtail it?

2) is gambling sufficiently dangerous to the non-gambler that the govt needs to prohibit or curtail it.

Generally most people require a much higher standard for part 1 than part 2. However, we totally enact laws in furtherance of part 1 (and correctly so).For instance, we don't usually allow people to buy like morphine pills since it is far too easy to become an addict or worse, accidentally OD.

Gambling can also have an addictive quality... but how detrimental is it? You can lose all your money and go into debt, which will either a) make you a burden on the state or B) put you in danger (think bookies and loansharks). Is Tocchet's ring of this magnitude? Is Tocchet's ring a gateway drug? I have no idea.

Now there are people... probably the great majority of people who can gamble without encountering any of these problems, or to a very low degree... much like alcohol.... or even cocaine. However, I guess everyone has to decide where we set the bar.

Edited by simonus

no quebecois so far...we don't know how ugly this thing will get.

Imagine the consequences if they find out that wayne gretzky's involved... will they be as severe as MLB with rose ??

things should get interesting in the nexr few days

No Quebecois involved. We got Mise-au-Jeu already! :P

I wonder if Tocchet will be cell-mate with Mike Danton...

"Pssst, Rick? Wanna get your bookie killed? I know some guy..."

LOL

Water all over my monitor :P

no quebecois so far...we don't know how ugly this thing will get.

Imagine the consequences if they find out that wayne gretzky's involved... will they be as severe as MLB with rose ??

things should get interesting in the nexr few days

The only way Gretz would get kicked out of the Hall of Fame was if it was proven he bet on hockey games.

I believe that Rose never bet on baseball games, he had a problem and got over punished for it, MLB does not kick out drug addicts or alcoholics out of the Hall of Fame. OJ is still in the NFL hall of fame.

But as you said time will tell all we can do is watch the events unfold.

The only way Gretz would get kicked out of the Hall of Fame was if it was proven he bet on hockey games.

I believe that Rose never bet on baseball games, he had a problem and got over punished for it, MLB does not kick out drug addicts or alcoholics out of the Hall of Fame. OJ is still in the NFL hall of fame.

But as you said time will tell all we can do is watch the events unfold.

dude, pete rose wrote a book where he confessed that he did bet on baseball

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/features.../rose_1-07.html

John LeClair is one of the players involved. Mark Recchi is as well.

The cops have tapes on which you can hear Wayne Gretzky talk about bets with other people involved in the network.

Hey Kozed: where did you get this info? :?-